What's new

Soylent Green, Omega Man, Demon Seed, THX 1138, Collosus,other 70s Scifi (1 Viewer)

Mike Friedrich

Stunt Coordinator
Though discontinued *Phase IV did have a US Laserdisc release.
I personally would love to see the original Tv series, *The Invaders w/ Roy Thinnes released on Dvd.
bodymov'n :cool:

Travis Brashear

Screenwriter
Originally posted by Kevin Matthews:
The student short film version of THX-1138 (The Electric Maze or something) is available on Short Cinema Journal #11.
I
think it is #11 that is.
Good effort, though it is actually SHORT #10: CHAOS that features THX-1138 4EB: ELECTRONIC LABYRINTH, Lucas' original student film that inspired the feature, THX-1138. It also features interviews with Lucas friends, colleagues and aquaintances. Quite innovative and mind-blowing for a student film--highly recommended for purchase.
You can definitely put me down for a remastered DVD release of the feature film. I own the LaserDisc, which is in OAR, but the print used is a long way from pristine... :frowning:

Paul McElligott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul McElligott
One '70s movie I'd be interested in (even though I know it's bad) is The Mephisto Waltz. Anyone else remember that one?

Larry Gardner

Stunt Coordinator
Paul McElligott:

Isn' that with Alan Alda as a struggling pianist, Barbara Parkins (TV's Peyton Place) as the bewitching demon, and Jacqueline Bisset as the 'doomed' lover of Alan Alda?

Can't say I remember it!!

Rex Bachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rex Bachmann
Larry P wrote:
Demon Seed said:
MGM(/UA) originally owned and released this film (theatrically, as well as on laserdisc). This is probably one of the many films heisted by Warner HV when the studios' video relationship was ended early (by negotiation). I should think MGM/UA HV wouldn't have held back a film like this, if it had anything to say about it.
Of Mr. Norm's list of desirable 70's tv movies for DVD release I'll second Chill Factor (a.k.a. A Cold Night's Death) (1972), with its terrific "surprise ending", Don't Be Afraid of the Dark (1973), with the whispering trolls(?), and, of course, The Norliss Tapes (1973), a spooky little supernatural action thriller (in fact, a failed pilot tv episode), starring Roy Thinnes of The Invaders fame.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
another vote for Demon Seed.
alot of good suggestions here, but i haven't seen this one in a very long time, and as someone else noted,
Christie was HOT.

if it was released as a United Artist film, MGM should still hold the rights to it. i thought i read that they still have control over all UA product. anything that was soley MGM or any of the old WB's they used to control is now in the domain of WB (aol).

neither scenario is ideal.
if MGM does control it, it probably would get released sooner rather than later, but it might not be anamorphic and might just be the same old LD or VHS transfer.
if Warner owns it, theres a better than even chance if they ever did release it that it would be a new transfer and be enhanced.
when they would ever get around to it, though....

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
if MGM does control it, it probably would get released sooner rather than later, but it might not be anamorphic and might just be the same old LD or VHS transfer.
Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but I can't recall MGM releasing a non-anamorphic DVD in the past six months.

Rex Bachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rex Bachmann
Paul_Scott wrote:
You know, somewhere in the back of my mind I seem to remember (for some reason) Demon Seed being a UA film, but I can't find my laserdisc to confirm. Although UA product is supposed to still be under MGM control, this film came out around the time in the late 70's when MGM acquired UA, so whatever kind of integration the two companies' product stream had attained at that point is unclear to me.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
I'd certainly be cool with The Forbin Project and very definitely Phase IV (an underrated gem if ever there were one). And I would like to have The Illustrated Man, too (which was released in 1969, btw).

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
of the top of my head, Cuba & The Devil's Brigade.
both catalog titles, obviously.
i'm sure there are several more. i remember getting excited seeing something else on the shelf, only to pick it up and find it was non-a.
the company is bleeding money. their home video division is the only area that is doing well. but that doesn't translate into them investing money in anamorphic remasters.
if anything, given their current situation, i expect more dumping of older or sub-standard masters onto disc, just to get product out and get a quick infusion of cash.
but then again, their midnight movie line has had, by and large, some of the best transfers i've ever seen.
people laugh when i say Dunwich Horror is a reference title for me, but video-wise at least, i think it is.

Norm

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Norm
Does anyone remember a 70's TV-movie about a Werewolf terrorizing Hawaii?

Norm

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Norm
I would even like to see some TV made Sci-fi like The Time Machine,(1978) Starring John Beck, get released on DVD. Its even hard to find on VHS, without paying $80.00.

Phil Nichols

Second Unit
I have a pretty decent VHS setup so I'd even like to be able to pickup most of them on widescreen VHS, but I believe most are only P&S on VHS.

Any idea which of the list are availabel WS VHS? (I have The Forbin Project in WS VHS.)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks