Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Guys,

I stopped watching South Park on TV after
Season 3. Just didn't have time anymore.

Now I am catching up on DVD.

I am not sure what season Comedy Central
is into now, but I just finished Season Six
and I am begging for more!

This series continues to top itself with each
new season. It is the funniest show on TV
alongside Family Guy.

So....

How will I like Season Seven? Do these seasons
keep getting better?

And...

I want to watch the newest season on Comedy
Central. I think it started its new season last
night and I forgot to Tivo it. Does it repeat
episodes throughout the week? When is the next
airing of the first episode of the new season?
What evening and time do new episodes begin?

Thanks for the help.

Greg Morse

Stunt Coordinator

Along with Season 6, Season 7 is altogether one of the strongest. Not really any stinkers in the bunch. Season 8 was a bit inconsistent (Passion of the Jew and Goobacks), but it's bookended by 2 of the best episodes ever(Good Times with Weapons and Woodland Critter Christmas). Season 9 so far has been like Season 8. It's still better than 99% of everything else on tv.

Jay_B!

Screenwriter

I have to disagree, while there were a couple season 8 episodes I didn't like (such as Wal-Mart or Vote Or Die), I think season 8 may possibly be the best season yet, each season has a few not-so-good episodes, but the best episodes of season 8 were home runs each time, and they were numerous. Passion was way too overrated, but Goobacks was funny as hell. I didn't care too much for it the first time I watched it, but I grew fond of it. Season 9 has been okay. Last night's episode was definately a return to form (even though it was really predictable the news story they were going to base the episode on) and I think this second half will be better.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I agree with those who feel the censored audio is MUCH better than uncensored audio.

It's almost like a bathing suit on a woman, sometimes it's much sexier to see a bunch of scantily clad women, than a bunch of naked women. Nudity (like swearing) gets old - FAST!

Rhoq

Supporting Actor
Ron:

South Park has consistently gotten better with each season since season 4.

For the 7th Season, as you saw at the very end of "Red Sleigh Down" (6th Season Finale), Kenny is back. This is also the season which Norman Lear became part of South Park's writing staff and as far as I know is still writing for them.

Even though Comedy Central was promoting last night's new episode as the start of a new season, it was really just the start of the second half of Season 9.

Season 10 will begin airing in the Spring (April) and I've read that Comedy Central has them signed on through the 12th season, making them the second longest running animated series on television (The Simpsons, being the longest running).

Jay_B!

Screenwriter
is it me or does it seem like SP suddenly became a bigger priority the second Chappelle reniged his contract (I wonder if there's going to be a lawsuit)? I'm fine with that, South Park is an American institution and I am fine with 3 more seasons at least.

Scott Engleman

Auditioning

I'm a strong believer in that as well. As "It Hits The Fan" illustrates, if you actually say a swear word too much, it loses all of its impact (like Spinal Tap playing on 10. Where can you go from there? :))

I just watched the Season 6 disk 2 episodes, and there were numerous bleeped profanities in these episodes, just as expected, and with good impact. Why "Professor Chaos" and a couple of other episodes from disc 1 had none, but instead used soft language, I don't know. Just a coincidence, I suppose.

Mark Schmitt

Stunt Coordinator
Ron, new episodes premiere Wednesdays at 10pm, repeated Thursday at 10pm, Friday night at 12:30am, Saturday night at midnight and Sunday at 11:30pm.

And I agree that they just keep getting better overall.

I don't know if they'll ever show It Hits the Fan in syndication. Last week when Matt and Trey were on Jimmy Kimmel they showed a clip of that episode as it would be shown in syndication as a joke and it was nothing but a long line of beeps. It was actually pretty funny.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
To my amazement Comedy Central played the film uncut and with all the profanity intact at like 2am the other nite! I was gobsmacked!

:) I'm waiting to get a whole boxset deal when they're all out.

Rhoq

Supporting Actor

It's called the "Secret Stash". Every late night Saturday/Sunday morning at 1 AM they air a movie, a stand-up comedy special or a Comedy Central special (Roasts, the recent Insomniac Tour, etc.) uncut and uncensored. They've been doing this for a good year or so now and it's apparently doing quite well for Comedy Central, ratings-wise.

I find myself waiting a week after a heavily-hyped Comedy Central event premieres because it usually ends being shown uncensored on the Secret Stash. ;)

Marko Berg

Supporting Actor
South Park is shown on broadcast TV here with the bleeps even though it's not necessary. Profanity in a foreign language is never censored and the fact that the bleeps are there support the theory that the bleeped version is the only one that exists.

Same here. Since the show is bleeped in the original language, over here it is subtitled accordingly with asterisks occurring where profanity would normally go. I think the show would be less funny if the language was not bleeped.

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
Well, they don't have to be since they run uncensored material late at night as has been pointed out in some of the above posts. They could run the uncensored versions after midnight, like they do with their Celebrity Roasts. Cable is pretty much self-regulated in terms of profanity, so FCC fines aren't a problem, just sponsors.

I have to slightly disagree with those who prefer the episodes bleeped. Don't get me wrong, the show is still funny....but I loved the movie simply because it was hysterical to hear the South Park kids cursing like that.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Jeff, the movie WAS funny. If the movie was bleeped, I agree that it probably would have not been as funny, but as was mentioned, the movie was only 90 minutes and the swearing was funny in comparison to the show being censored. If the show wasn't censored, you'd get used to the swearing and the movie would not have been as funny (by comparison).

Just like someone posted about the "shit" episode. After a while, the swearing is no longer funny.

Jay_B!

Screenwriter
the movie came out in July 1999, about 1/3 into season three. Personally, the movie was fun, but I think the show has gotten better and evolved a bit since then. It's still a must-see if you're a fan of South Park though.

Jay_B!

Screenwriter
I'm kinda glad Matt and Trey didn't decide "okay, we came, we saw, we conquered" and figured it was all downhill after the movie, the way that Mike Judge pretty much let Beavis And Butt-Head die after the release of the movie and gave up on it.

ToEhrIsHuman

Second Unit
Real Name
Craig Ehr

Really glad you are enjoying the shows, Ron! For me it is one of the never-miss shows on TV. One major reason to watch the new episodes as they debut is because of the timeliness of many of the story lines - some jokes often play (prey?) on events less than a week old even.

However, if you ever have the chance to meet Matt & Trey I suggest you refrain from making the comparison to Family Guy as you did in your post. I've heard them say (though I can't remember where exactly) that they hear that often and it really bums them out (I guess they aren't fans). :D

Jay_B!

Screenwriter

definately, I'll refrain from the spoiler since Ron's never seen it. But the climactic moment of "It's Christmas In Canada" (the season 7 finale) completely left me with my jaw opened because it referenced a news event that took place about three days before it aired. I was so shocked how fast they had it converted to episode.

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
Well, Family Guy doesn't really have much to say... it's funny, but it's not really a comment on anything. South Park has a lot more to say, and regardless if you agree with the message... there's something to it.

For the record, I love Family Guy... I just think of it as more like popcorn fun. It's funny, tasteless and the cultural references always get me to laugh... but there's nothing deeper there... It's sort of like the comedy equivalent to ADD.

Just comparing to the earlier seasons of The Simpsons makes me notice it.

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member

I hate "Family Guy" with a passion and I love "South Park" so I use Trey and Matt's anti-"Family Guy" comments in my sig. They aren't the only ones who hate it, if you look up the "Family Guy" Wikipedia entry you'll see that practically all the "Simpsons" writers, Kevin Smith and John K hate it, too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks