1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Soundbars?

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by bu54610, Jun 17, 2009.

1. bu54610

bu54610 Member

Ok, so I bought def tech 600 speakers and a yamaha 565 receiver only to find out I can't drill for the rear speakers in my wall. Geek squad came out and told me my only option would be a soundbar. Are there actually any good soundbars that would be worth the money?

2. Robert_J

Robert_J Well-Known Member

Robert
    What is stopping you from installing rear speakers? I've seen extremely difficult installations but not one that was impossible.

-Robert

3. Ed Moxley

Ed Moxley Well-Known Member

Ed
    Yeah, sounds like the Geek Squad guy just didn't want to mess with it.........

4. bu54610

bu54610 Member

What's stopping me is a brick wall for the rear speakers, and not being able to drill through the floors so hiding the wires would be impossible. Not impossible, but I don't want wires hanging all over the place looking like crap.

What about the new Samsung that is coming out next month, the HT-BD8200? I liked the panasonic but its $1800. I wasn't looking to spend that much on a soundbar.

5. Robert_J

Robert_J Well-Known Member

Robert
    Brick can be a show stopper but not always. What's behind it?

I'm no help on the sound bar. I've never even heard one.

-Robert

6. bu54610

bu54610 Member

I'm in a historic row house, so behind our brick wall is the neighbors brick wall....Not convenient.

7. SethH

SethH Well-Known Member

What's your budget on the soundbar? Yamaha makes some pretty solid soundbars if you have to go that route. Soundbars are always a compromise, but some of the higher-end Yamahas are pretty good. You'll want to budget for a subwoofer to go with the soundbar.

8. bu54610

bu54610 Member

I spent $1800 on everything that I had to return, so that would be my max. I saw the high end yamaha that sounded pretty good, but it was $1800 without a sub, without calibration and installation. So that would be way above my price range. I haven't been able to hear any of the other yamahas, but ive been told they aren't worth it. Also, the new Samsung coming out next month has a built in bluray player and wireless sub.

9. bu54610

bu54610 Member

Ok so I couldn't find a good soundbar worth the money they were asking. So I decided to get the Yamaha 765 receiver, Def tech pro monitor 1000 front left/right and sub, along with the 2000 center. What do you all think? Any suggestions on setting it up? I have it up now (waiting for center speaker to come in) and it sounds great so far.

10. ShanonS

ShanonS Well-Known Member

That Yamaha should have an automated system setup/calibration (YPAO). I would at least start there when you get the center in. It should have come with a small microphone and you will want a tripod to mount it on while doing the calibration. I haven't used YPAO, so I can't give you specific details, but that's where I would start.

11. Volvelle

Volvelle Member