1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Sound System to go with Projector?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by weedyweidenthal, Dec 19, 2012.

1. weedyweidenthal

weedyweidenthal Active Member

Hi all, I am looking to get a sub $400 sound system to go with a BenQ W710ST (http://www.amazon.com/BenQ-W710ST-Short-Theater-Projector/dp/B006ISZM2E)
    The devices that will be connected are a DirectTV Genie Receiver, a Wii U, and a Blu Ray Player. Does anyone have suggestions on a sound system that will work? Looking at the projector, the audio output is through a Mini Jack.

2. weedyweidenthal

Here is one that I have been looking at... http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-YHT-497-5-1-Channel-Theater-System/dp/B007PU2Y4S/ref=zg_bs_281056_19
    I wasn't sure though if I understand the video pass through/audio return correctly. If I plugged my devices into the HDMI ports on the receiver, and then used the HDMI out to the projector, would sound come out of the receiver and video go to the projector? That is the way I had understood the description, but I was told that video pass through will require a different cable that will then compress the audio. The Projector has HDMI 1.3 and the Receiver is HDMI 1.4.

3. Robert_J

Robert_J Well-Known Member

Robert
    That's how it will work. Audio will be handled by the receiver. It will never go to the projector. Think of the project as a display device only. I have no idea why that one has audio jacks.

4. weedyweidenthal

Cool. I read people saying that a separate optical cable may be needed since the projectors HDMI is 1.3.

5. schan1269

schan1269 HTF Expert
    HW Reviewer

Sam
    If you buy the "right system"...the projector has absolutely nothing/nada/zilch to do with the audio, period...end of discussion.
    And yes, the Yammy 497 counts as "right system"...

6. weedyweidenthal

Awesome. Thanks for the reassurance.