What's new

Sound System to go with Projector? (1 Viewer)

Real Name
Weedy Weidenthak
Hi all, I am looking to get a sub $400 sound system to go with a BenQ W710ST (http://www.amazon.com/BenQ-W710ST-Short-Theater-Projector/dp/B006ISZM2E)
The devices that will be connected are a DirectTV Genie Receiver, a Wii U, and a Blu Ray Player. Does anyone have suggestions on a sound system that will work? Looking at the projector, the audio output is through a Mini Jack.

Real Name
Weedy Weidenthak
Here is one that I have been looking at... http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-YHT-497-5-1-Channel-Theater-System/dp/B007PU2Y4S/ref=zg_bs_281056_19
I wasn't sure though if I understand the video pass through/audio return correctly. If I plugged my devices into the HDMI ports on the receiver, and then used the HDMI out to the projector, would sound come out of the receiver and video go to the projector? That is the way I had understood the description, but I was told that video pass through will require a different cable that will then compress the audio. The Projector has HDMI 1.3 and the Receiver is HDMI 1.4.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
If I plugged my devices into the HDMI ports on the receiver, and then used the HDMI out to the projector, would sound come out of the receiver and video go to the projector?
That's how it will work. Audio will be handled by the receiver. It will never go to the projector. Think of the project as a display device only. I have no idea why that one has audio jacks.

Real Name
Weedy Weidenthak
Robert_J said:
That's how it will work. Audio will be handled by the receiver. It will never go to the projector. Think of the project as a display device only. I have no idea why that one has audio jacks.
Cool. I read people saying that a separate optical cable may be needed since the projectors HDMI is 1.3.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
If you buy the "right system"...the projector has absolutely nothing/nada/zilch to do with the audio, period...end of discussion.
And yes, the Yammy 497 counts as "right system"...

Real Name
Weedy Weidenthak
schan1269 said:
If you buy the "right system"...the projector has absolutely nothing/nada/zilch to do with the audio, period...end of discussion.
And yes, the Yammy 497 counts as "right system"...
Awesome. Thanks for the reassurance.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks