What's new

Sound proofing icynene insulation (1 Viewer)

PuffnStuff

Auditioning
Real Name
Daniel Whitney
Hi wondering if someone could answer this...I have an exterior basement wall where I plan to build a 2x4 stud wall with a 2" gap between the stud wall and the exterior brick wall. I want to have a foam insulation sprayed into the stud wall but am wondering if the insulation contacts the exterior wall does it negate the purpose of the 2" gap?

Thanks in advance

SlapMan

Auditioning
Real Name
Matt
Hey puff,

I'm building a house myself, and I watch alot of HGTV shows like Holmes on Homes. Everything I've seen and heard, including talking to an Icynene installer is that you DON't want an air gap between the brick/concrete and the icynene. The spray foam acts as a vapor barrier and insulation.

My suggestion would be to spray the icynene directly to the brick/concrete. The air-gap to the back of your studs will prevent any thermal transfer between the studs and the brick. This is the 'best practice" for insulating basement exterior concrete/brick walls.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
???

Someone replied to him yesterday, but I doubt he will still be around to read it.....

Perhaps he's a victim of the FB-connection improvement?

Cees

bartoneblaze

Auditioning
Real Name
bartone blaze
No there is no effect of foam insulation sprayed on other wall.The Icynene Insulation its superior fit makes it an ideal sound proofing system, reducing airborne sound transfer through the roof, floor and walls. Outside noises such as road traffic and trains stay outside.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks