What's new

Sound only from my 2 Front Floord Stands when using Pandora (1 Viewer)

raehza

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ray
I am new here and would like to say "Hello world!" to everyone here. I'm very happy to say that I have finally purchased my first Home Theater System after reading up on many forums for a while.
Here is my current Set Up:
Speakers:
SP-PK51FS (http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Home/Speakers/Home+Theater+Speakers/SP-PK51FS)
MINUS the SW8 Subwoofer.
My subwoofer is the BIC F12
Receiver:

Denon AVR 1912
Blu-Ray
Sony S580
So far I am very happy with the sound. The Bass isn't really rocking my chair though, could be the positioning or it may need adjusting. I have it set to 100 Hz and 0 degrees.
Anyways, my problem right now is that when using the Online Pandora feature from my BluRay player I only get sound from my 2 front floor stands. It's probably due to the poor sound quality of Internet Radio but is there no way of still using the 5.1 sound? I have looked in the speaker set up and have not found any options.
My uncle has the Onkyo HT-S 9100 THX set up and with his you can switch between different "sound modes" that allow you to still hear from all speaker, even if you are watching a non DVD/Blu Ray movie or listen to sub-par quality music.
Thanks a lot and I'm very hopeful to learn a lot from you guys and gals!

raehza

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ray
Hello casey!
Thanks for the response. I will check it out once I get off of work. I hope I can use the sub for pandora music.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
raehza said:
I hope I can use the sub for pandora music.
Set your speakers to "small". That will route all of the low frequency information to the sub. This is independent of the source you are listening to.

raehza

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ray
Robert_J said:
Set your speakers to "small". That will route all of the low frequency information to the sub. This is independent of the source you are listening to.
Oh! My receiver had my Floor Stands set to "Big" and the Center and Bookshelf to "Small". I manually set the Center to big because I assumed it was correct because it kind of is a big center.
If I set the Floor Stands to small, won't that lower overall Bass because my woofer would be the only source of Bass? Or should that be my Goal?
Also, I have set the Subwoofer to 100Hz according to the Manual. Is that correct?

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
raehza said:
If I set the Floor Stands to small, won't that lower overall Bass because my woofer would be the only source of Bass? Or should that be my Goal?
Also, I have set the Subwoofer to 100Hz according to the Manual. Is that correct?
Yes, the goal is to have the sub woofer handle the bass. The sub was designed to handle bass and, just as importantly, you can move the sub anywhere in the room. This allows you to locate it where it is best. BTW - "Small" and "Large" are not good descriptions for what the setting does. It would be better to call it "bass managed" and "not bass managed". It can be confusing....
Setting the crossover at 100 hz is a good starting point. I suggest you run Audyssey and see what it suggests. There's a guide linked in my signature.

raehza

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ray
Thanks, I can set the Sub to 100 Hz manually via the knob and the receiver Menu.
I get some subwoofer droning though and I am fiddling around with the settings for a while now. I just can;t seem to get it perfect where I watch a movie and the sound is clear and the sub just rumble and shake the room. It just doesn't sound "clean" yet..... Will mess around with it for a bit longer.

raehza

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ray
Can anyone point me to a website or article that explains how to calibrate your speakers? I'd like to have some know-how before I tweak the speakers. There is a lot of Audio jargon that I don't understand.
Thanks!
EDIT: Just found a nice article about calibrations. Anyone that is interested, check this

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Read the Audyssey guide in my signature.
The knob on your sub should either be bypassed or turned up as high as it goes. You set the crossover in the AVR.

raehza

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ray
Maybe its because I'm on a cellphone but I don't see a signature.

raehza

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ray
That's an excellent write up. Very much obliged! I have done the Audissey test earlier, before reading this, and my sound has gotten TONS better. I will re-do it again now, since I've learn a lot more thanks to that posted PDF.
Ray

raehza

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ray
OH MY GOD! How I love this Forum.
I've set everything in accordance with the PDF and oh boy, my speakers sound INCREDIBLE. The bass is smooth and rocks the house, no droning (repositioned the Woofer). Put the woofer on carpet (I may get that Auralex SubDude one day) and set everything properly and even Pandora (INTERNET RADIO) sounds INCREDIBLE now.
I can NOW fully recommend the Pioneer speakers and the F12. Granted It's my first system but I like to think that I somewhat know what sounds good and what doesn't and my system did NOT sound good the first few days. Now it's just jaw dropping.
Thanks A LOT!!!!!!
Ray

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Originally Posted by raehza /t/317474/sound-only-from-my-2-front-floord-stands-when-using-pandora#post_3885416
Maybe its because I'm on a cellphone but I don't see a signature.
I took a look at your profile and you have view sigs turned off. To turn it on go to the My Profile tab at the top of the forum click on the Edit Account Details button and under Forum Preferences you will see lots of options.

raehza

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ray
You were right. I can see all signatures now. David WIllow must have thought that I am crazy or blind, hehe.
Ray

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Nope, not crazy or blind. I've been around long enough to realize what I see is not always what others see on the interwebs. :)
I'm glad we were able to help. Now watch some movies and enjoy!!! :D

raehza

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ray
I ordered 9 Blu Ray movies after reading the "budget blu ray" thread on the front page. cost me about 120 bucks, not too shabby. they are all coming in monday and tuesday. Now I just have to get some popcorn and drinks and get the wife ready for some loud movie adventures ;)
Ray

Josh Simonton

Auditioning
Robert_J said:
old old old thread BUT THANKS!!!!!!!!!! I was pulling my hair out trying to figure this out

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks