What's new

Sound of Music 40th, Oklahoma 50th, State Fair 60th and Two for the Road in November (1 Viewer)

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
Today in new release announcements over at dVD Planet are three Rodgers and Hammerstein films, all due Nov. 15
Oklahoma - two discs - no specs but undoubtedly the scope version in included too.
State Fair - two discs - don't know why as it doesn't seem to include the 1962 remake.
Hope we get specs soon.
Sound of Music - two discs

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew

It could be several reasons, but likely:

1. Either R&H Organization or Fox have shunned the picture

or

2. The original elements are in bad shape.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
DVDPlanet has them up for preorder. "Two for the Road" is coming out on 11/01/05. While "The Sound of Music" 40th Anniversary, "Oklahoma" 50th Anniversary and "State Fair" 60th Anniversary come out on 11/15/05.

Crawdaddy

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
I'm definitely there for all except State Fair, which I never could warm up to, outside of "It Might As Well Be Spring."

Been waitin' for Two for the Road since I got my DVD player!

Charles H

Screenwriter
Also ORCHESTRA WIVES with the Glenn Miller Orchestra (and an eclectic cast that includes Jackie Gleason, Henry Morgan, George Montgomery, Dale Evans, and a terrific Nicholas Brothers dance). Can SUN VALLEY SERENADE be far behind?

Charles H

Screenwriter
Would they include the 1933 Will Rogers and Janet Gaynor STATE FAIR? It's not a musical but it's arguably the best version of the Philip Strong novel and great Americana!

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Never seen State Fair but Oklahoma! and TSOM are mine!

(side note: Ill be heading up to the Von Trapp Family Lodge for the weekend tomorrow morning - it's the family owned estate the film TSOM was based on!) :)

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
i'll be eagerly buying up all the R&H movies this Nov-
including a blind buy of State Fair. never had any interest in the film until i found out that it wasn't about just any generic state fair, it was about the Iowa state fair.
i've played that spot a few times and Iowa has one of the most beautiful, and popular, State Fairs in the country(and it'll be starting again in a week or two).
looking forward to seeing it.

just hope the PQ on Oklahoma! (either version) is up to snuff.
i caught part of a showing on TCM recently and the print looked like cause for concern. i've heard the original elements have been problematic as well, so i don't know what to expect.
a clip i saw on a PBS special on R&H a few years back looked stellar though, and made my mouth water for an HD version.

Richard M S

Screenwriter
State Fair is an absolute blind buy for me, the idea of 2 discs intrigues me. I also hope the Will Rogers-Janet Gaynor 1933 version of State Fair is included. The disc can also be filled with deleted and alternate musical numbers. I recall seeing clips of Dick Haymes performing a song in a shower, plus an alternate version of "It Might As Well Be Spring" with Jeanne Crain wearing a different dress. I hope they include some surprises as well.

Orchestra Wives is a film I have never seen before, and Oklahoma is a film I would love a special edition of, so they are blind buys. But since I still have my copies of The Sound of Music on laser disc and DVD, I am passing on that one.

William Miller

Second Unit
Another rumor I just heard says that it will include the 1933 version and not the 1962 version.

Hey, maybe all 3 will be on there!

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
It would be dumb if it was the 1933 version as it was not a musical and would only be the source of the later versions. I hope it is the 1962 version. That would make snse iwht 2 films with R&H music.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

It might not make sense musically-wise, but it does as far as film quality. The 1962 film is not a good film.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I was just wondering about Two for the Road the other day! Hooray!!! I think this will complete my collection of the Hepburn films I like.

DeeF

Screenwriter
Guo, you'll need to get The Nun's Story, coming out in November, I believe.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks