What's new

Sound Of Music 2010 ??????? (1 Viewer)

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by MatthewA

You may be right about the difference of color and sharpness. In the 2000s I saw this film twice in 70mm and I don't think it was the same print. One was sharp and colorful, the other soft and muted.

If the prints you saw had normal colors they were not from the original release. The original release prints by then had already turned to different shades of pinkish red. There are however at least two new prints of SoM and as you say they have quite a different look. Not to take away anything from Robert Wise but in my experience both Sound of Music and to a lesser degree West Side Story do not look as sharp as other 70mm productions I have seen so it might be a good idea to set expectations a bit lower for these two on Blu-Ray.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Originally Posted by OliverK

If the prints you saw had normal colors they were not from the original release. The original release prints by then had already turned to different shades of pinkish red. There are however at least two new prints of SoM and as you say they have quite a different look. Not to take away anything from Robert Wise but in my experience both Sound of Music and to a lesser degree West Side Story do not look as sharp as other 70mm productions I have seen so it might be a good idea to set expectations a bit lower for these two on Blu-Ray.
They weren't original release prints. They were reprints from the period in the previous decade when Fox made new prints of their 65mm films.

trajan

Screenwriter
Real Name
lar
Does anyone know which print of SOM is being used for the bluray? My understanding is that one print is less muted and has brighter colors.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
I would hope they won't have to use a release print. It would be preferable to use an internegative or interpositive; something fewer generations removed from the OCN so there is less grain buildup and more high frequency detail.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
I highly doubt they would be using a print. This film saved 20th Century Fox, I imagine they would not be so cavalier with its original elements. Supposedly restoration work had already been performed a few years ago, but the last DVD used the same year 2000 master as the 5-star DVD, just without the edge enhancement. Ironically, it had a restoration demonstration.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Stephen_J_H

I would hope they won't have to use a release print. It would be preferable to use an internegative or interpositive; something fewer generations removed from the OCN so there is less grain buildup and more high frequency detail.

With Sound of Music it is also possible that Fox goes back to the OCN. They did the same with The Robe and the results with regard to detail were very impressive and for many unexpected.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
The Digital Bits also says there will be "New Supplemental Material". What is there that exists that hasn't been included before? I still have my 30th anniversary laserdisc because of the non-disc supplements like the more complete CD soundtrack (why a completely complete one has never been released is beyond me) and the document of all the script changes from the play to Lehman's first treatment to the shooting script.

As long as it isn't a big, bloated box with a cheap watch and a MiracleGro Edelweiss planter.

I know of three scenes that were deleted or shortened, but I don't know if they still exist. One of them took place in the middle of Do-Re-Mi...Liesl and Rolfe meet up next to the fountain.

RobertSiegel

Reviewer
This is my most awaited Blu-ray of any movie (2nd being Hello Dolly). It is my all-time favorite film, and I have seen it over 200 times all the way through, over 100 of them being in theaters when I was young up until the present day. I have owned every VHS, laserdisc and DVD version, which has been many different transfers. I am hoping that this time, the sound is transferred digitally to sound more on the quality level of Oklahoma, which it should. I am assuming that since it is being listed as 7.1 sound, a new sound transfer must have been done.

I agree with Ahollis about adding Die Trapp Family, what a great extra that would be. I am really hoping that Fox will include all of the extras that came on the Five Star Collection AND the 40th anniversary edition, as many were different. I am hoping for original poster art on the cover, or at the very least, the letters of "The Sound of Music" to be in the curved style as on the poster, which has always been a trademark of the film. And most of all, I am really hoping for a collector's set, which was by-passed with both DVD editions. How great it would be to have something for this film similar to what Warner did with Gone with the Wind and The Wizard of Oz in boxed sets.

RobertSiegel

Reviewer
"I know of three scenes that were deleted or shortened, but I don't know if they still exist. One of them took place in the middle of Do-Re-Mi...Liesl and Rolfe meet up next to the fountain. "

I only know of 2, that one and a scene where Maria looks up onto the balcony where the Captain is, close to the song Something Good. I would love to see these scenes if they were kept. Also, Julie Andrews has commented many times, especially in an interview with Ellen last year that she would love to see (if they have them) some of the many takes done of the opening scene when she was flattened to the ground by the downdraft from the helicopter. Since this is one of the most, if not THE most famous opening scene in movies, it would be a real treat to see alternate takes.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
There was a discussion here around the release of the last DVD where someone said that when they got the TV rights to the film in the 1970s, ABC asked Robert Wise if they could add any scenes to the film. Wise said no and added that even he wanted to (he didn't; the film we have known since March 2, 1965 is the director's cut), they're gone. Although Fox seems to have uncovered some long-lost footage lately, these were from faded prints of films that were cut after release (The Sand Pebbles and South Pacific), not before. But I'd love to see these scenes as supplements if they do exist. I have owned two VHS editions from 1986 and 1990, the 30th Anniversary Laserdisc Box Set, and both DVDs. I want this to be the truly ultimate (which means "final") edition, and the more extras the merrier. I wouldn't mind seeing the promos from the network airings of the film in the 1970s and 1980s. As for the new extras, a blog on The Rodgers & Hammerstein Organization's site says they're going back to the filming sites in Salzburg to shoot supplementary mini-documentaries in HD for this Blu-Ray: The Sound of Music in Salzburg – The Hills are Alive!

RobertSiegel

Reviewer
MatthewA, thanks for posting the link, that is great to know that they are doing some new extras for the film and I agree with you that I hope this will be the final version, with the best picture, sound and all of the previous extras. I too own the laserdisc box set and that seems to be the only time Fox ever released anything special with this movie, as far as packaging and extras inside the box. I really hope this time they put out a nice edition for collectors in addition to a regular Blu-ray case. This is my #1 most wanted Blu-ray. I can't wait!

I am surprised I missed that, I usually check out the R&H Organization web site on occasion! So thanks again for posting it.

You can see a trailer on YouTube when ABC showed The Sound of Music on February 29, 1976 at 6pm....(dam I love the movie enough to know when it first aired on tv, lol).

Here is one of the Youtube ABC fall promos which have The Sound of Music, I was surprised to find it. I remember this so well! Sound of Music is near the end in Major Premeires.

and you may get a kick out of these:

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
Originally Posted by MatthewA

There was a discussion here around the release of the last DVD where someone said that when they got the TV rights to the film in the 1970s, ABC asked Robert Wise if they could add any scenes to the film. Wise said no and added that even he wanted to (he didn't; the film we have known since March 2, 1965 is the director's cut), they're gone. ...

I posted that in a thread years ago. Actually, At the time of the ABC network premiere, Mr. Wise didn't say the cuts didn't exist. He said he didn't have them. And even if he did, he wouldn't loan them to ABC because the film as released is the way he wanted it presented.

I can only imagine what he thought of the humorless 144 minute version NBC foisted on us for years until the film was added to the National Registry and, thus, could no longer be trimmed.

I'm excited that they've gone back to Salzburg to film additional extras. They have a tough act to follow because Michael Matessino did such an incredible, exhaustive job with the extras on the laserdisc box set back in 1994 that it's hard to improve upon them.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Originally Posted by Rob_Ray

I'm excited that they've gone back to Salzburg to film additional extras. They have a tough act to follow because Michael Matessino did such an incredible, exhaustive job with the extras on the laserdisc box set back in 1994 that it's hard to improve upon them.

I agree with you there. Matessino did a yeoman's task on that laserdisc. The documentary is as exhaustive and entertaining as "The Making of a Legend: Gone With the Wind", and the still section covers everything from the technology of Todd-AO to the history of Salzburg; about the only thing missing were schematics for a Whitehead torpedo, which was invented by a relative of the first Mrs. Von Trapp. I used to have the Video Magazine article on how it came to be. It was announced in late 1993 with a smattering of extras, but Fox and Image kept pushing it back when the extras kept getting more and more elaborate; it didn't come out for almost a year after its announcement, but the wait was worth it. This was back in the days when extras were truly something special, before DVD extras on mediocre or worse movies diminished their value much like the way inflation destroys the value of a dollar.

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
I remember purchasing that laserdisc box set and being stunned as I read the back of the box listing the contents. I'd never seen a more lovingly produced video release. I still haven't. I pick up used copies whenever I can. It's my all-time favorite video release as far as presentation of materials, as opposed to transfer quality. I was quite impatient when it kept being delayed, but it was well worth the wait. I hope the BluRay can something equally special.

RobertSiegel

Reviewer
I have gone through many disappointments with this film as far as transfers go. I've owned every edition starting with the first VHS release from "Magnetic Video." Then there were 2 other VHS releases, and then came the laserdisc with the pan and scan edition, then the "special widescreen edition" which was all pink toned, then the box set, which was fantastic as a collector's set but still they didn't get the transfer right. Then the first DVD, the Five Star Collection came out, and it had so much edge enhancement it was awful. I was pleased with the 40th anniversary edition, but still the soundtrack was not as good as I had seen in 70mm showings and there was still room for picture improvement. But after seeing the Blu-ray of South Pacific, I have alot of faith in Fox on the upcoming Blu-ray!

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
Originally Posted by RobertSiegel

I have gone through many disappointments with this film as far as transfers go. I've owned every edition starting with the first VHS release from "Magnetic Video." Then there were 2 other VHS releases, and then came the laserdisc with the pan and scan edition, then the "special widescreen edition" which was all pink toned, then the box set, which was fantastic as a collector's set but still they didn't get the transfer right. Then the first DVD, the Five Star Collection came out, and it had so much edge enhancement it was awful. I was pleased with the 40th anniversary edition, but still the soundtrack was not as good as I had seen in 70mm showings and there was still room for picture improvement. But after seeing the Blu-ray of South Pacific, I have alot of faith in Fox on the upcoming Blu-ray!
So do I. With uncompressed audio and careful digital touchups to compensate for negative damage due to its phenomenal popularity, "The Sound of Music" should finally look and sound spectacular. I do hope they use a blank screen over the Entr'acte music as they did with "South Pacific" so that I could better recreate the theater experience at home.

That Magnetic Video tape was my first VHS purchase back in 1980. I remember the loud hum in the soundtrack during the opening shots, the film break near the two-hour mark well into Act II (just before the My Favorite Things reprise) and how dull it looked. Each release got a little bit better but the big boxset was beyond fantastic as far as the extras were concerned, even though Maria was a redhead in that one.

Maybe my memory is playing tricks, but I remember seeing the 1973 revival and hearing the Kloppman Choir coming exclusively from the left surround speaker at Houston's Tower Theatre. I've never heard that effect again in subsequent 70mm showings or on any video format. It was a cool effect, actually.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks