What's new

Sound Of Music 2010 ??????? (1 Viewer)

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Ooooh!!! I'm excited too! Had kinda ignored this thread for a while there until just now. [/url]

Is that supposed to be the trailer? Doesn't work for me.

_Man_

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
LOL.

Ron,

What I meant was the YouTube video was *literally* not working for me. I was expecting to actually see a video footage at all.

_Man_

Nick Eden

Stunt Coordinator
Excellent news.

However, how does this news tie in with the annoucements some time ago about BD releases of Fox's "Those Magnificent Men in Their Flying Machines" and "The Agony and the Ecstasy"?

Were these annoucements official or just rumour? In line with this current annoucement for "The Sound of Music", it was made some considerable time before the likely release date.

Finn

Insider
Real Name
James Finn
Hi all,
The Sound of Music Blu-ray release is one that has a lot of us very excited over here. The teaser trailer that Epstein posted is just that - a tease of great things to come later this year. TSOM on Blu-ray sounds and looks outstanding. Lots of fun activities planned surrounding it, look forward to sharing more down the road. And as always, we are open to hear your ideas.

Thanks for being here and responding Mr. Finn! I am very excited about this release, and hope that the picture is so good that I feel like I'm in Austria with the Von Trapps! I also hope that the sound is directional and the sound effect I talked about has been reinstated into the mix. This is a must buy for me! Would love to see a reunion with the cast. It's amazing that almost all of the major players are still with us and now would be a great time to hear their definitive thoughts about the film to be captured on blu for all time!

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
How about adding DIE TRAPP-FAMILIE (1956) as an extra on the release! I believe that Fox still has the rights to it.

Looking forward to hearing more news of this release and the eventual release of the Blu-ray.

Finn

Insider
Real Name
James Finn
Originally Posted by Eric Scott Richard

Would love to see a reunion with the cast. It's amazing that almost all of the major players are still with us and now would be a great time to hear their definitive thoughts about the film to be captured on blu for all time!
agreed!

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Hopefully all the extras from both the 2000 Five Star Edition and the 40th anniversary edition will be included.

But what I'm really looking forward to is the transfer. We've already seen with Baraka and South Pacific what Blu-Ray can do with 65mm source material. This, by far the most popular and beloved 65mm film of all-time, deserves nothing less than the best.

RobertSiegel

Reviewer
Originally Posted by Robert Harris

Everything that I'm hearing from the technical side is that every stop is being pulled out toward making this a perfect release.

Do I believe this? Yes.

RAH
This is excellent to hear Mr. Harris. This has been my all time favorite movie since I was 5 years old. I have owned every VHS, Laserdisc and DVD edition. The 40th Anniversary edition was the best of them but not what it should have been. After seeing what Fox did with South Pacific, I have high hopes for this one as I consider South Pacific to be one of the best Blu-rays released of a classic. I hope that this time they decide to do something like Warner did with Wizard of Oz and Gone with the Wind and offer (in addition to a regular Blu-ray) a boxed set. This movie deserves it.

trajan

Screenwriter
Real Name
lar
People who do not like the dvd transfer just do not get it that soft focus was the directors choice and it is never going to look as clear as they might desire, even on blu.

John Skoda

Second Unit
I really hope they can fix the loss of color on the right-hand quarter of the frame. I find it an incredibly distracting problem at times--once you notice it, you stop concentrating on the film and keep scanning for that problem.

I notice that this is an issue on parts of the SOUTH PACIFIC blu-ray too.

Real Name
Sebastian Porter
I hope they can get the color and contrast right this time. All the previous releases are plagued with blue and pink colour cast to the image which can look quite dreary and very unhealthy. Also, the soundtrack, I need directional mix this time and please do not apply noise reduction so excessively that robbed all the sparkling high frequency and dynamic range like what they did with the previous releases.

Jim*Tod

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jim
This is a difficult film to transfer for a variety of reasons. Probably the biggest problem for those who like their films very sharp and are expecting anything shot in 70mm to be that way is that they used lots of diffusion filters and soft lighting in the shooting of the film. It is not going to have that ultra sharp look you see in most of SOUTH PACIFIC. Then there is the issue of how the color should look. Director Robert Wise wanted somewhat muted colors, Fox wanted the colors more vivid, so from what I have read, the original release prints were done both ways. Depending on where you saw it, it may have looked different. It does have a unique look. I do definitely agree that I want the original directional dialog. I wasn't as aware of heavy filtering on the previous releases as I was on the dvd for HELLO DOLLY, where the sound is notably flat. I have to take Robert Harris at his word... if he says everything is being done to do it right, I have to believe him.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Originally Posted by Jim*Tod

This is a difficult film to transfer for a variety of reasons. Probably the biggest problem for those who like their films very sharp and are expecting anything shot in 70mm to be that way is that they used lots of diffusion filters and soft lighting in the shooting of the film. It is not going to have that ultra sharp look you see in most of SOUTH PACIFIC. Then there is the issue of how the color should look. Director Robert Wise wanted somewhat muted colors, Fox wanted the colors more vivid, so from what I have read, the original release prints were done both ways. Depending on where you saw it, it may have looked different. It does have a unique look.
You may be right about the difference of color and sharpness. In the 2000s I saw this film twice in 70mm and I don't think it was the same print. One was sharp and colorful, the other soft and muted.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks