What's new

Sound but no picture (1 Viewer)

grimmas122

Auditioning
Real Name
James
Having just moved house and gotten rid of Foxtel, trying to set-up my system has now thrown up a problem where I am getting sound but no pictures. I have connected it to a different TV, replaced the Foxtel box with a digital set-top box and have all the same cable connections and get sound from all connected components, (TV, DVD, Tuner and Xbox) but get no picture.

Hopefully this is just a generic problem so for the time being I won't specify my connections, but I have a feeling it is all TV related. The question, do I need to set my TV to a certain channel? It was 3 years ago I hooked it all up initially and have a feeling I had it all set up to watch through specific channels. Silly question probably, but it's all I can think of given I have the same connections as when it did work.

Thanks...

homthtr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
Is there a Surround system that the componets are connect through or is everything connected directly to the Tv?

We need a little more info on how you have this connected before solving this.

grimmas122

Auditioning
Real Name
James
I figured you might need this so here goes.

Everything is going through a Yamaha HTR-5640 receiver and connecting this to a Panasonic TV, a 68cm flat screen about 3 years old. I have a Pioneer DVD-355-s via component cable and a TEAC digital set-top box via a composite cable. There is also an Xbox connected. Sound is OK but no picture from any of them.

The only difference I can see is that instead of my Foxtel cable box I now have the digital set-top box in its place. I tagged each cable before unplugging so as to make re-connecting easier, but I'm getting the feeling that maybe a tag has dropped off, or I have lost a cable somewhere along the way.

Appreciate the help too....

homthtr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
What are the connections that you have from the Yamaha to the TV?

grimmas122

Auditioning
Real Name
James
I think this is where i have something missing...

Monitor Out from Yamaha to monitor on TV using the yellow video cable...

homthtr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
I can't bring up the manual right now but I have to assume there is no video up conversion in that model,so...

Anything you have connected composit Video (yellow only) should be working but setting the TV to the Input that corrisponds to the Yellow that you have from the monitor out of the yamaha to the TV. Use the input button on the tv to change the input to whatever input you have the yellow plugged into.

I don't hear of any component cable going from the Receiver to the TV. Does the TV have component connections? Y(green)Pb(blue) and Pr(red)?

If so you need another set of component cables from the component video out of the Yamaha to the Component in on the TV. When using a source that's connect via the component video throught the yamaha you'lll have to switch the TV to the corrisponding input that the component video is plugged into the tv.

grimmas122

Auditioning
Real Name
James
I can set it up so that I can watch DVDs, use the Xbox and watch the TV but not in the way I was using it, that is I could change what I was using by running everything through the receiver and using the Yamaha remote only. To get picture and sound I need to run the DVD and xbox through the TV and therefore change the AV button on the TV to use each one.

Right now getting sound through the receiver with no picture I have a component cable from the DVD to my receiver, the xbox plugged into the V-Aux on the receiver and the yellow video cable from the Monitor Out on the receiver to the Monitor Out on the TV. Using the receiver remote I can select the relevant button and all I get is sound from each component.

I have also removed the digital set-top box as that needs to be used on another TV.

Is there a chance the Monitor Out video on either the receiver or TV is gone and if so, is there a way to check this without taking it to be looked at? I have used a couple of different yellow composite cables in the Monitor Outs.

Hope this is the last time i need to ask any more stupid questions...!!

a2cpc

Grip
Real Name
Chris
grimmas122

Try taking a headset or an ear bud or something like that. Put the tip of the earbud connector to the center pin of the video cable. Then, let ring or sleeve portion of the headset jack touch the outer part of the video connector. If there is a video signal on the line, you should hear a very distinct buzz.

Paul_Dunlop

Second Unit
homthtr already gave the answer for this - your receiver isn't performing video conversion - so - you are connecting the DVD using component, but connecting to the TV using composite - this doesn't match, so no video

either connect your monitor out using component to the TV (best case)
or connect your dvd to the receiver using composite (worst case)

also, your tags may not be valid anymore since you changed some equipment during your move - recheck that you have a video and audio cable going to each piece of equipment - and that they are assigned to the same connection on the receiver

hope this helps

homthtr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
Yes I was just able to verify that on the canadian Yamaha site. The receiver has NO video up conversion.. except across s-video and composite. So petty much what you bring into the receiver you have to bring the same video cable out, or if you have only one component video source just take that right to the tv. No reason to go through the receiver with just one Component video source...OR as Paul said.. worst case senero... connect everything via Composite Video (yello) only. and leave the TV on one Video input.

grimmas122

Auditioning
Real Name
James
I'm now running the DVD via component cable direct to the TV, so thanks for all the advice/information, much appreciated. I might just have to try and keep experimenting to get it all running through the receiver. Thanks again...

homthtr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
Glad you could get that far.... and if that's your only Component Video source there's no reason to go through the receiver anyways...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks