What's new

Sound and Vision/Sub-volume setting.... (1 Viewer)

douglas-b

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Douglas Berry
I first calibrated all speakers to 85db. When my receiver is turned up to "00" all speakers hit 85db on my rat-shack meter. That part was easy. Then I thought I would double check with the receivers test tones (Denon 1804). The receiver turns itself up to "00" and plays it's test tones...they were all even. It only hit 80db on my meter but they were all even. I smiled happily and moved to the sub. When I played that chapter on the disk I thought I should do it like the other chapters but when I set my volume to "00" it's not 85db it's more like 90db. How can I calibrate when the levels on the test tones are different?

I have my sub set at the same levels as the rest of my speakers using the internal test tones of the receiver...everything hits 80db which as I stated above when I play the chapter "6 channel speaker balance" they all read 85db. (80db on the receiver=85db on the disk) wouldn't it stand to reason to also just set the sub up the same way...80db on the receivers test tones=85db???

Nathan Stohler

Second Unit
Real Name
Nathan Stohler
Are you saying that the test tones on your setup disk are 5 dB louder than your receiver's test tones, except for the subwoofer tone which is 10 dB louder on the disk?

If so, I'd use the test tone on the disk to calibrate.

John Tami

Stunt Coordinator
At the Spot we discussed the S&V disc (I have it) and since I was getting a SVS to go with my brand new JBL's I wanted to learn about those tones. Turns out S&V does not recommend using them to Calibrate. (another member emailed S&V) They will give you bad info if used. You need either Receiver tones (mine does not put out any for the sub) or one of the other premium discs (DVE or Avia) to do the job from what I understand....

douglas-b

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Douglas Berry
When I used the chapter "6 channel speaker balance" all channels are balanced at 85db. When I use the receivers test tones they measure at 80db on my radio shack spl. I'm not confused by that. Whats important is that they are at the same level and I know that. I just wanted to see if they were equal when I used the receivers test tones.
What is confusing me is the chapter on setting the subs volume. When I turn the test tone up to the level I just calibrated at in the previous chapter...the tone is at 90db when I play it at "00" on the reciever and it should play at 85db just like it din in the "6 channel speaker balance" chapter.

douglas-b

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Douglas Berry
Thanks John, I didn't think I was crazy and I searched alot and I couldn't find any info on it.

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
Stay away from DVE for bass test tones. It is not correctly authored. Serach here and in the Software section....there are a couple threads on the matter.

BGL

BruceD

Screenwriter
John,

Not sure I understand, as the S&V DVD is mostly just a subset of the AVIA DVD. The developers of the AVIA/S&V audio calibration programs certainly are not saying you shouldn't use their disks to calibrate your system are they?

Do you have any references to where Ovation (developer) says not to use S&V for calibration?

By the way, you need to understand that AVIA and S&V don't really have LFE calibration tones. Instead, they send the bass signals (LFE plus re-directed bass from small speakers) to the processor and let the bass management software in the processor distribute the bass content according to the processor's speaker and xover setups.

If you want a separate LFE calibration tone, I recommend the original VE (video Essentials) calibration DVD.

John Tami

Stunt Coordinator
If you dig in the HTS SVS forum, you see a thread by me on the subject (about 2-3 weeks ago) Another member emailed them and they told him what I wrote above. I don't know any more then that.

BruceD

Screenwriter
Well, it sure would be prudent for someone from Ovation (developer of audio test signals on S&V DVD) to give us some definitive answers to that dilemma. I can't see putting out a calibration DVD and them sending an email that says don't use it for calibration.

Doesn't that see bizare to anyone else?

John Tami

Stunt Coordinator
This the answers I got when I asked about using that disc..

I agree it's pretty lame....I don't get what is so difficult for these company's to get test tones usable and correct for the application.

Doug Smith

Second Unit
Interesting discussion. I have been folling around with the same problem. I used the S&V disc to calibrate everything. I calibrated my JBL sub with the front left speaker, as it says too on the disc. Seemed to work great when playing music, but I wasn't getting great LFE with movies (no bang for my buck). When replaying the disc recently it says (yes indeed) you should use your own ear to calibrate between the frontleft speaker and sub, even if the two readings come out different on your sound meter. So I played it by ear (so to speak) and when I played music through my Marantz 7300 the pictures almost came off the wall - way to loud. I wound up compromising - which is to say I wound up adjusting purely by my own taste alone - which I think is what the disc is saying. I'm certainly no expert. Did anyone else notice a difference between calibrating through DTS as opoosed to Dolby?

John Tami

Stunt Coordinator
DTS is known for being I think something like +3DB hotter then Dolby. I tend to adjust my sub down for DTS.....

BruceD

Screenwriter
I'm just glad I didn't pay any money for my S&V DVD (won it), but selling a calibration DVD that doesn't do proper calibration seems ridiculous.

douglas-b

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Douglas Berry
The disk is very helpful with everything else that is on the disk...it was just the "sub volume setting" chapter that was messing me up. My receiver has tones for all channels including the sub so it's cool. It was just when I compared the two...they weren't even close. So I thought I was doing something wrong. Well, I'm glad I asked somebody...I just wish I would have done it sooner.:frowning:

Thanks;)

Robert AG

Stunt Coordinator
Download a free copy of TrueRTA (www.trueaudio.com) which has 1 octave resolution - good enough for general HT subwoofer calibration. Set the generator to "pink noise" and run the output of your soundcard to your receiver. The upgrades of this program are cheap if you want resolution tup to 1/24th octave.

Purchase the NEW RadioShack SPL meter which has a line out jack which is not effected by the weighting curves inside the meter. Run this output to the input of your soundcard.

Turn on the analyzer in TrueRTA and have at it.

Cheap and good. With the upgraded TrueRTA, cheap and very good. :D

John Tami

Stunt Coordinator
Neat idea.....but my PC is located a good 25' away in the Kitchen. It'll be awhile before I can cable stuff that far!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks