1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Soul Calibur II demo 720p w Sony XBR450 not working?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Peter Rohlfs, Aug 8, 2003.

Tags:
  1. Peter Rohlfs

Peter Rohlfs Well-Known Member

I have A Sony 32XBR450 and an X-Box with the MS Hidef pack, connected with the componenet cables. I set the X-box to Widescreen and turned on 480p, 720p, and 1080i.

I just got the Soul Caliber II demo from X-Box Magazine. When I started it the screen was a mess. Looked like a VGA monitor with the wrong refresh rate.

The only way I could get it to work was to turn off 720p in the X-Box panel.

I have Dragon's Lair 3d which runs fine at 1080i.

Has anybody gotten SCII working with this? Any ideas?

Thanks,
    Peter

2. Mike Pattee

Mike Pattee Well-Known Member

It might be that your sony is like my mitsubishi. Supports 1080i but not 720p.

3. Dave F

Dave F Well-Known Member

That tv doesn't accept a 720p signal:Sony's page "2-Component Video Inputs (Y/PB/PR), HD Capable(1080i, 480p, 480i)"

The 720p mode is half-assed anyway, since it's 4:3. I'd rather have 480p widescreen than 720p 4:3.

-Dave

4. Camp

Camp Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure the Sony converts 720p to 1080i. I think the fact that it's 4:3 720p is the problem. The Wega needs to display 1080i in a HD "window" and I wonder if SC being 4:3 screws things up a bit.

Even if it worked you'd have black bars on top and on the sides resulting in an itty bitty picture.

5. Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee Well-Known Member
    Reviewer

Cameron Yee

Will the final product be this way too or is it just the demo?

6. Dave F

Dave F Well-Known Member

I don't think it is a displaying a 4:3 signal in the way we've become accustomed. Since a 720p signal would lock into a full 16:9 mode on most (all?) HDTV's, Namco puts out a 16:9 image, but the gameplay is rendered in a 4:3 window in the middle. The black pillar bars are part of the image. The end result is much like a non-anamorphic widescreen DVD. Any tv that accepts a 720p signal should have no problem.

If the Japanese release is any indication, the final product will be the same as the demo.

-Dave

7. Chris Rock

Chris Rock Well-Known Member

Peter,
    I have the 36" variety of your TV.

It does not accept or display 720p images. No upconverting, nothing.

It sucks, but that's the truth.

8. Peter Rohlfs

Peter Rohlfs Well-Known Member

Thank you everyone for responding. The game did look great in the 480 mode anyway. And if the 720p is in a box, with Sony' 4:3 screen shape all I'd get is a small pic in the middle of the screen. Still ticked that the TV doesn't handle it...but oh well.

Thanks,
    Peter