1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Sorting movies by genre

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by weezypenguin, Oct 27, 2012.

1. weezypenguin

weezypenguin New Member

I just wondered if anyone knew of some software that can scan a hardrive full of movies and then catagorize into genre etc and mobe into a windows folder structure?
    I have quite a lot so want to ease the burden on my server.

2. gartronics

gartronics Well-Known Member

I know of cataloging software but I don't think there is anything that does what you are asking. You are probably gonna have to do it manually. Make folders of the specific genres and copy movies to the appropriate one. It will probably take a while to do this but It will be worth it. unless someone else knows of software that does it. obviously that would be better.

3. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    What I've read, it's discouraged to sort media by genre at the file level. Better to let the UI do the display transformations (sort by year, genre, alphabetical, etc. )
    Also, looking at MediaBrowser recently, it looks like it can deal with multiple drives and folders and display them as a unified folder. So you can break your stuff however you need across drives and not worry about having it sorted at the file level.
    Finally, you might ask this in the HTPC section, and get some more input.