What's new

Sorry Roger, But "Blue Crush" IS Another Mindless Surfing Movie. (1 Viewer)

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I am a big fan of Roger Ebert and have always admired him and his well written reviews, even if I don't agree with them. This is NOT an Ebert bashing thread.
Anyway, I just finished reading his three star review of Blue Crush and was amused by the fact that I disagreed with almost every positive thing he had to say about the film.
I went into this film with high hopes, looking for some escapist entertainment. Fat chance!
This film was a masterpiece of overused cliches stolen from countless other better films. I mean Jeez..
***SOME SPOILERS***
You know, poor working class girls, scraping by, driving a beat up old jalopy, surfing every chance they get with the dream of winning that big tournament.
Big sister watching over troublesome lttle sister cause mom took off to Vegas with latest boyfriend, scared to surf, scared to fall in love, scared to take that perfect wave......:rolleyes:rolleyes
***END SPOILERS***
I don't remember a film filled with more groan inducing cliches than this one. Bad acting, dull story, sloppy filmmaking, obvious bad visual effects (superimposing the lead actress's face over an obvious body double) and predicatble to a fault. Not one surprise in the entire film. It had no heart, no thrills, no excitement, stock characters, lame "love story" and worse of all, was not entertaining.
Roger Ebert has NOT lost "IT", he is still my favorite film critic, I just believe that perhaps with Blue Crush, he has temporarily misplaced "IT"!;)

Mike Graham

Supporting Actor
While the film didn't break any originality barriers, no one should be entering the theater expecting anything more then breezy, summer popcorn fun with girl power and bikinis thrown in. Not a bad date movie either. To each his/her own, of course.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Well, I must say that the women were very attractive.:b
That almost made the film bearable....almost.:D

Tommy Ceez

Second Unit
Have you noticed that 75% of Eberts recent reviews (last month or so) have been *** or above?!? The man is too damn happy these days! We need another north to stir the kettle a bit.

Mike Monti

Stunt Coordinator
One thing you have to remember about Ebert is that the man really likes boobs (not that there's anything wrong with that).

He worked with Russ Meyer for pete's sake. I'm confidant that the bikinis in this movie are a large part of why it has three stars. Take a look through his back catalogue of reviews and you'll find he will often overlook a number of issues if there is a chesty payoff (Original Sin, Showgirls) of course it doesn't always work (Charlies Angels, Exit to Eden).

clemente

Agent
It all boils down to te subjective nature of movie reviews. Even though Roger is a pro, like us, there are just those movies that tickle are fancy for one reason or another. The fact that it tickled his and not yours is bound to happen.

Brian Ford

Stunt Coordinator
Wait, just how many movies are there about a Surfer Girl who lives in Hawaii and has to take care of her younger sister because her mother left for Vegas all while trying to balance a new relationship and win the big surfing tournament? ;)
Yes, the movie borrowed too many plot devices, overused too many shots, had an annoying sound mix and didn't even bother with a real resolution to the storyline.
However, the acting was genuine, the cinematography was advanced when it came to water placement and effects and the editing was well paced (except until the big tournament hit). Not a *** movie, but I can see how many could enjoy it.

Peter Kim

Screenwriter
I don't remember a film filled with more groan inducing cliches than this one.
I too looked at Ebert's review which subsequently piqued my curiousity about this film. But I find other telltale barometers, like the aforementioned quote, to be more of an accurate guage for me.

Ebert has always been one of my top 3 reviewers (not because I agree with him). However, when there's hint that any enjoyment of a film is stunted because of platitudes and porous plots, I'll pass.

Thanks for saving me more than a few bucks. It's been relegated to a possible rental for now.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Hell i'd be willing to sit through The Master of Disguise again just to see Michelle Rodriguez wet and in a bikini!
htf_images_smilies_yum.gif

I'll check out the dvd when it comes out next month. ;)

Mark Pfeiffer

Screenwriter
Oh man, don't make me do this...

OK, I liked Blue Crush, and not as a guilty pleasure either. (BTW, David Poland gushed over it, so if you think Ebert's gone bonkers...)

It's not quite as good as what John Stockwell did with crazy/beautiful, but it's a mark above most teen-oriented movies (and God knows I've seen just about every one released since 1997).

The digital recompositing is pretty bad, to the point of distraction even. And yes, there are some stock situations, etc.

But I thought it was entertaining and sharp enough to be worth a look.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Ken
Sorry, I completely missed your thread.:frowning: If any of these threads are deemed **official**, Yours will probably be the *review* thread and this one the *discussion* thread.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
i saw this movie years ago...when it was called "point break". hello?...is this thing on?
i hate to admit it, but i like mindless movies - as long as that's what i'm expecting going in to it. jerry bruckheimer anyone? :)
although i haven't seen it, it does seem to be getting at least semi-favorable reviews. that tells me it's unoriginal but entertaining. not a bad way to waste a couple of hours i suppose.

Kevin Farley

Second Unit
It's good in showing the adrenalin rush of fear of what it would feel like to paddle out to Pipe. Scary! But one thing that annoyed me is during her ride shots; the different camera shots were showing totally different waves. ok, first it's about 5-6 when she's paddling for it, then it's 12-15 when she's dropping in, then it's back to 5-6 when she's in the tube, etc. I was almost able to suspend, but I've seen too much footage of Pipe. The rad thing is that was the real surfers' first time out at big pipe, and they charged! Keala, Megan, and the others are amazing.

Joel Mack

Senior HTF Member
i saw this movie years ago...when it was called "point break". hello?...is this thing on?
Calling it a remake of "Point Break" because they both involve surfing? :rolleyes
"Point Break" also involved bank robbing. Was it a remake of "Dog Day Afternoon"?
I will say that "The Fast and The Furious" definitely appears to be "Point Break" with cars... :laugh:

Users who are viewing this thread