What's new

Sorry if this is dumb (1 Viewer)

Ryan West

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ryan
I am using a Infinity P163 for my center channel, does it matter if it's stood on end or sideways? Will that change the sound? Must be the dumbest question ever, but serious lol.

Ryan West

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ryan
Thanks! Got them all unboxed tonight. I think I will take the wall mount brackets off the 153's and put them on the 163's so I can mount them on the wall on each side of the TV, The only thing I'll be losing doing this is the ability to angle them so they will be firing straight out but I have a 3 yr old, 4 month old and a clumsy Golden Retriever and if he knocked one of these over on a stand they have the potential of hurting someone bad or worse... Hopefully it doesn't negatively impact the sound too bad.. Got my 55" tv on the stand tonight and watched a movie!! No sound system yet but holy moly HEAVEN! Going from a 32" to a 55" is quite a difference lol!

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
Ryan, I think the P163's don't come with those keyhole brackets for a reason. Infinity probably thinks they are too heavy to mount with those. I have the P163's, and I wouldn't do it.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Getting back to what you should do... You can buy floor stands with excessively heavy bottoms. You can buy wall mounts(platform or otherwise). But attempting to remove the keyholes(what they look like in the manual) and attach them to another speaker is a bad idea. That would be like building RTA, taking it back apart...then assembling it again.

Ryan West

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ryan
Nah it was just 2 screws in each one.. I upgraded the screw size and drilled pilot holes. I think they will be just fine. I have them mounted using heavy duty anchors and I also mounted L brackets to the bottoms and to the wall. They are rock solid. Worst case scenario is they get ripped off the wall somehow but they are only mounted 36" up. The location just isn't good for speaker stands, even heavy based stands have the tipping potential and pose a bigger danger than they would if they fell off the wall where they are at. We'll see how it goes. :D If I come back in a month crying because the fell down and my walls need to be patched you can say "I told you so dumbass" lol...:D

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I thought you were just going to hang them like a picture, the fact you put a bracket under(most people wouldn't citing...aesthetics...) Shows you wanted them tight. I was going to suggest a shelf...then velcro them to it.

Ryan West

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ryan
They are just small brackets, you can't really see them. I did buy velcro for my rear stands, I bought the 3M stuff, it cost me $18 for 10" strips.... I probably could've just mounted them to the wall with that lol... We use it in automotive and it's some sticky stuff. Waiting for the receiver to get here.. Then my Sub tomorrow and we'll be kicking back to some movies! What's your opinion on speaker break in? The Infinity manual says nothing about it, not sure what Outlaw says yet.. Those who do break in speakers, what's the recommended volume to use?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Their really is no recommended volume. In reality...you are probably never going to feed these things more than 50wpc... When doing 5.0(even with the crossovers at 60/60/80) the Denon isn't going to produce more than 50wpc...if that much. Distortion destroys speakers faster than "too much power". Basically...if you aren't trying to make yourself go deaf...the speakers are fine. Traditional break-in is 50 hours...if they don't say anything. It amazes me when the reviews for the Primus keep mentioning "thin sound"...yet all the reviews seem to be "fresh from the box". Like the guy a couple months ago with some KEF Q900 that was "underwhelmed" when he fired up his first movie. Told him the same thing...give them 50 hours and report back. He did and was relieved they started sounding like he expected them to. I'm currently reviewing the SVS Ultra 5.0...with their 13ultra sub. I let a SACD play 24 hours the other day on a loop. SVS doesn't mention break-in either...but that 24 hours of Handel's Messiah(1742 Dublin: hybrid SACD) woke them up a tad.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
Ryan West said:
Worst case scenario is they get ripped off the wall somehow but they are only mounted 36" up.
Why did you mount them so low? And by the way, you may have voided your warranty by drilling into them.

Ryan West

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ryan
Yeah I knew I would void my warranty, for the price of shipping them back and forth for repairs I can just buy new ones.. I mounted them at ear level as suggested for 5.1 surround fronts..

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Is that 36" the top...or the bottom of the speaker? Either way you are close. Most tower speakers are 36-41" tall. And I doubt you voided the warranty. I'm not "up" on Harman warranty procedure, but I would assume they might allow a driver swap. Worst case, you have to buy the drivers used on Ebay. I doubt you'll ever do anything to the crossover.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
Ryan West said:
Yeah I knew I would void my warranty, for the price of shipping them back and forth for repairs I can just buy new ones.. I mounted them at ear level as suggested for 5.1 surround fronts..
There's no such thing as surround fronts. :confused: You voiced concern about your young kids and dog, so I was surprised that you mounted them so low. That's all.

Ryan West

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ryan
Jim Mcc said:
There's no such thing as surround fronts. :confused: You voiced concern about your young kids and dog, so I was surprised that you mounted them so low. That's all.
The front L/R sorry. I don't think the kids will mess with them where they are now. It was more a matter of the baby pulling a stand down or the dog knocking them over etc.. They would come down hard that way and cause some serious damage. They aren't coming off the wall the way I have them now.

Ryan West

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ryan
schan1269 said:
Is that 36" the top...or the bottom of the speaker? Either way you are close. Most tower speakers are 36-41" tall. And I doubt you voided the warranty. I'm not "up" on Harman warranty procedure, but I would assume they might allow a driver swap. Worst case, you have to buy the drivers used on Ebay. I doubt you'll ever do anything to the crossover.
Well I didnt exactly measure 36" I eyeballed ear level.. I know its close though

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
36". Just remember it is ear level for the tweeter on the speakers. Have fun!!

Ryan West

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ryan
should the rear surrounds be ear level too? I have them about 12" too high if so, sounds good though.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks