What's new

****Sopranos Season 5 Season Guide (Spoilers) (1 Viewer)

Chris

Senior HTF Member
I hadn't listened before but caught "Wiseguys" on Sirius today, it has as it's host the actor who played Big Pussy in S1/2. They had on other Sopranos actors today to talk about the season.. notable guests today were: Vincent Curatola (Johny Sack) and several others (Phil & the gang from the show)

They did a good job of wrapping up the season, and were asked to stay "in character" at points. They did so and recounted their off-the-screen backstories.. what we didn't see, why their characters felt they had to make the decisions they made.. pretty interesting.. they also talked about teh backstory they drew up with Chase regarding their characters and problems they had with the season plus what they enjoyed about it.

MarkHughes

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mark Hughes
My only issue is that this kind of breaks down the ongoing question of Paully's loyalty. He now has no where to go. It was brought back up with suttlty. If you recall the whole horse and tony picture was done out of disrespect when he was talking about alliances with Johnny. He skirted his way around that in this final episode, but I think it was more to spark the memory. Can't count on Paully having loyalty when he was so buddy buddy with Johnny. But now, no more Johnny.

Tom-G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas

That was taken care of when Paulie met up with Carmine Sr and Paulie discovered that "Sack" didn't even mention Paulie to Carmine Sr.

That was also the episode where Paulie whacked his Mother's friend so that he could get the money she had socked away in her house. Paulie then gave some of that money to Tony as tribute. That scene was important because prior to that, we really didn't know who his allegiance was to.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
"He looked a lot leaner (still big mind you) in the Bada Bing office scenes."

I noticed this as well this year.

It looks like hes dropped some weight. Good for him. From what Ive seen of him on interviews and such, he seems like a nice guy.

Paul_Stachniak

Screenwriter
So this is interesting. I've started re-watching the first Season of the Sopranos - to see how different the show has become. And I caught a little oddity. In the first episode, there is a scene were Tony is on the Stugots with his gumba chasing her around because she's playing with JFK's hat.

How odd, as in Season Five, Tony seems very surprised by the sight of a very similar looking hat which is shown to him by his father's last gumba. Just thought I'd point that out.

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
"Goombah" is Italian dialect for "compare" which literally means "godfather" but has come to mean "friend, pal, buddy". Maybe because there are so many godfathers that you could refer to just about anyone as a godfather? Maybe it was very likely that your friend would be the godfather of one of your children? Regardless, the Spanish equivalent "compadre" underwent the same change in meaning.

Likewise, "goomah", also pronounced "goomar" or "goomata", is Italian dialect for "comare" which literally means "godmother" but has come to mean "mistress".

It seems the dialect tends to sound "c" as "g" and "p" as "b". It also tends to drop the final syllable. For example, "gabagool" is "capocolla", or more commonly spelled by Americans as "capicola" (a spicy smoked ham, an essential ingredient in a submarine sandwich). I read that it is a genuine dialect of southern Italy, not a bastardized slang spoken only by Italian-Americans.

And speaking of Tony's boat "The Stugots", supposedly that comes from "stu cazzo" which means "testicles".

Eric Meske

Stunt Coordinator

Isn't it Tony that shows JFK's hat to his father's old girlfriend? The one he bought at an auction? How is this odd?

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
stu cazzo doesn't mean testicles, although they are attached to it's real meaning!;)

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Im copying this from Gordons post inthe Deadwood thread

"So he said when "Deadwood" returns for a second season next March he would install it at 9 p.m. Sunday, a sign that it has established itself as a main attraction for the channel. It will return before the final season of "The Sopranos," which is not expected until late next year or early in 2006."

Heyzues!!! Do we really have to wait that long?!?! :frowning:

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Im copying this from Gordons post inthe Deadwood thread

"So he said when "Deadwood" returns for a second season next March he would install it at 9 p.m. Sunday, a sign that it has established itself as a main attraction for the channel. It will return before the final season of "The Sopranos," which is not expected until late next year or early in 2006."

Heyzues!!! Do we really have to wait that long?!?! :frowning:

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
For the past few seasons we've been having to wait at least 18 months. 18 months after the end of this season puts it in 2006, so that sounds about right.

If they want the series to end during sweeps, and the season will be only 10 episodes, then that means starting some time in mid-December 2005 to end in February, or mid-March 2006 to end in May.

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
For the past few seasons we've been having to wait at least 18 months. 18 months after the end of this season puts it in 2006, so that sounds about right.

If they want the series to end during sweeps, and the season will be only 10 episodes, then that means starting some time in mid-December 2005 to end in February, or mid-March 2006 to end in May.

Jason_Els

Screenwriter
And let me say that 18 months is a travesty. I cannot fathom why they allowed the salary problems to go on so long. The Sopranos is a great show but its production management is Mickey Mouse.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks