What's new

Sopranos Season 5 released 6/7/05. (1 Viewer)

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
There was a behind the scenes preview of season 6 on HBO one night during Empire Falls. It says it begins airing March 2006.

UGH! Long wait until some more Tony.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Yeah Season 5 was Good, but I passed on the set and I have the Other 4. Buying a New Car will do that to you less disposable income and Hard to justify now that TV Box Sets are all the Rage and better deals are out there. I mean I just paid $20 for Season 3 of the Dead zone with an Equal number of Episodes. I Made some DVD-R's from My Hi Def Feed off of HBO and compared it with Season 4 Official DVD's and there isn't $100 worth of Difference.

BrandonJF

Second Unit

I'm in the same boat. I've passed on the the last round of HBO releases with the exception of Oz (never saw them when they aired and now I'm invested in it) due to the price. There's too much stuff out there (especially on 6/7) and I can't really afford to be dropping the $70-$80 on HBO season sets any more.

Still hurts to keep walking past the last seasons of Six Feet Under and The Sopranos knowing I now have an incomplete set of them (and I liked season 5 of The Sopranos way more than season 4). Maybe one day... I really wanted Entourage, too.

PaulP

Senior HTF Member

So why not pick them up? The Sopranos cost me $63 at Amazon and Six Feet Under cost me about the same at FYE.com - nothing really bank-breaking. Plus there's always credit.

BrandonJF

Second Unit

Nothing really bank-breaking if it's the only thing you buy this month. My problem is that I've already seen every episode of both shows, which puts them at the bottom of my "must-have" list (although they are still up there) and the price is just a huge deterrent to me given that I could buy two other tv-on-dvd sets for the price of one of those HBO sets. It's harder to justify.

For example, this week I bought Lois and Clark, The Dead Zone Season 3, Spider-Man : The Venom Saga, Coyote Ugly EE, Gone in 60 Seconds EE, Father of the Bride, Seed of Chucky, Wonder Woman Season 3, Rescue Me, SNL : Best of Tom Hanks, SNL : Best of Jon Lovitz, Star Trek : Insurrection SE, and Stripes EE.

The bank is already "broke". :) One school of thought would be, "What is one more gonna hurt?" My problem is that despite how huge that list is, buying the Sopranos would repesent 20% of the total cost for this week alone. And that's with 3 other TV show box sets in that list!

I'm not really slamming HBO - if they are maximizing profits with that price point, more power to them. The market has just become so saturated with tv product at this point that, for me, it's not as easy to buy up all these HBO sets or pay $100 for a Star Trek set (although I found a way to get Enterprise, I skipped Voyager).

All of that being said, don't think I'm not looking for some justification to stop by Circuit City and pick up The Sopranos after work for 59.99 or buy Six Feet Under, The Sopranos, and Deadwood from Barnes and Noble for $60 a piece under their Buy 2 Get 1 Free deal...

Michael_EC

Stunt Coordinator
Has anyone watched the set and noticed an awkward layer switch on disc 3. My player froze for a couple seconds during the episode Marco Polo, right at the end of the episode as the end credits were starting up. It was awkward because it was right in the middle of a song. The pause was like a layer switch pause, but it seemed a) like an odd place to choose to place the switch, and b) odd to have a layer switch at all given that the disc has 4 episodes (why not just have 2 on each layer with no switch in the middle of an epsisode). Anyway, I just want to know whether it is a defective disc or a layer switch. It would be greatly appreciated if anyone who has the set could let me know if they also see the pause. Thanks.

Seth--L

Screenwriter

You have to pay for HBO; you never had to pay to watch Star Trek when it originally aired and has been shown non-stop since it went off the air. I believe that the $60-65 most people stores charge for the The Sopranos is cheaper than 3 months of HBO. Lastly, for me at least, the show has much more replay value than almost every other TV show on DVD. I've easily rewatched the first two season 5 times, season 3 4 times, and season 4 twice. I've also loaned the series out to a few friends. So I think it's paid for itself despite the high price.

If you can get past Bogdanovich's dry laid back tone, his commentary is pretty decent. I haven't listened to any of the others and probably won't considering how terrible they've been in the past (except for ones by David Chase).

BrandonJF

Second Unit

It would cost me about $26 to watch a 13 episode season of The Sopranos (it currently costs $8 a month for HBO - I just got it again for the new seasons of Six Feet Under and Entourage).

Seth--L

Screenwriter

Well, it comes down to cable company and location. In my area, Comcast, for instance, doesn't give you basic cable and then let you pick and choose what premium channels you want. They have a tier system where you get more premium channels as you move up. If I'm reading the pricing guide correctly, to get HBO you have to spend a minimum of $80 a month. And of course you get much more bang for your buck buying into the top tier.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Question:Why did Buscemi's character rejoin the mob?
Please keep in mind episode 6 was the last I saw.

--
H

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
I too found that character turn somewhat surprising when the season was first broadcast. On re-watching episode 6, it made perfect sense. As is so often the case with Sopranos episodes, you don't really catch the full import of events until after you've learned where they're leading.

Tony B. manages to free himself -- with some degree of frustration -- from the wiseguy way of earning, but he can't quite give up the lifestyle. He might have made it further if not for that bizarre $12,000 windfall. It's the kind of easy cash that fuels the mob lifestyle, and even though he didn't do anything illegal to get it, once it was in his hands, he fell right back into old habits.

When you watch the episode again, watch how little sleep he gets for several days running. You can't maintain a "straight" life and keep those hours. The image that perfectly captures the contradictions of his situation is the scene of him trudging into work where the camera pans down to those hideous wiseguy shows.

It all comes to a head when Kim surprises him at a moment when he's clearly exhausted. Even though Kim is staking him, Tony B. can't stand the guy, and that's clearly laid out at the beginning of the episode. The prospect of living a life he doesn't want to live, and constantly having to answer (and be grateful) to a guy he despises, is too much. Then the real Tony B. emerges, and after that there's nothing left for him to do but take up the old ways.

Check out the smile on Tony S.'s face at the end. It's like he's thinking, "I knew it!"

BTW, there's some important background information you haven't learned yet.

M.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Just received it.
Hardly can wait, but have to round up our 'Sopranos group' (my son and three of his friends) to plan the viewings (we do one whole disc at a time), unfortunately just before school holidays.

Intriguing artwork on that box.

Cees

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
I see. The layers in this show... there is a lot I didn't pick up on. One thing I am not clear on and I can't verify 'cause I returned the disk already:
Did he blow the 12Gs on gambling? Someone said something to that effect but I wasn't too sure.
The artwork is definitely intriguing and fitting. I like anything that reminds the audience of how evil these seemingly cool people are.

Adriana is so hot it's painful...

--
H

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Cool, thanks.

This season I saw the most blatant display of product placement in my personal history of television and film: The yellow Nissan Xterra.

"It's got Nissan's 5 point safety system, side airbags, Bose stereo system blah blah blah [insert laundry list of features]". Went on for a good minute :rolleyes.

--
H

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve

:) Couldn't be more blatent could it? I remember watching that during the original broadcast and asking my wife if we'd just seen a commercial.

Steve

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I always took it to be a joke on the fact that it sounds like they are just repeating exactly what the dealer told them as opposed to actually knowing anything about the car.

Whether it was joke or product placement, I still heard about the car so Nissan won:)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks