What's new

Sopranos Season 4 Review and Discussion Thread Shows 1-12 (1 Viewer)

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
Eloise was the painting that Meadow and Carmella sat under for afternoon tea at the (I think) Park Plaza. It's a Soprano family tradition for mother and daughter to go for tea "under Eloise" on the daughter's birthday. They have done this before, although I forget which episode.

Scott Van Dyke

Supporting Actor
Any other Metallica fans out there notice that the "Bing" was jamming some "Garage Days" while Paulie and Silvio were having it out?

JohnCast

Auditioning
My wife got the impression that Carmella might be approaching menopause (especially because of the hot flash in bed at the end), which may explain some of her behavior.

Jason_Els

Screenwriter
Eloise is a character in a book. It's about a little girl who lives with her family at The Plaza in NYC. She has adventures with guests and staff. Most of the really nice hotels in NY have apartments for people to rent. It's a charming girly-girl book series which has inspired legions of mothers to take their girls to The Plaza for tea at the Palm Court.

Bill_Watts

Auditioning
My reciever would not switch to Dolby Digital on this broadcast last night over Direct TV. Did anyone else have this problem, or is it my equipment?

Chas_T

Supporting Actor
Bill,

Living in the Northeast, I too DID NOT receive the Dolby Digital feed from Directv. I also thought something was wrong with my equipment.

John_Lee

Supporting Actor
What did Furio say to Tony as he grabbed him by the helicopter?
Something to the effect of "you're standing too close."
He was trying to cover his impulse to throw T into the blades by portraying it as an attempt to steady him before he hurt himself.
Looks like Furio is further along on the impulse control thing than t.

John_VI

Second Unit
Chas and Bill - Me too. I live in NY and did not receive a DD5.1 feed from DirecTV all night long, on ANY shows. Don't know if it was region-specific or if the entire country experienced the same thing.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
good episode, but i think i got kinda lost.

1. how exactly was johnnie sacks playing paulie? trying to get paulie to usurp tony?

2. near the end when tony was in the car with johnny sacks (??) they talked about something. tony said "holy shit." it sounded like them planning to take out someone (carmine?)

3. what is carmine's connection? he's the ny boss?

4. what is johnny sacks connection to carmine? is he sort of a "go-between" for the two families?

i was a little bummed (although it made perfect sense) about the way they concluded the carmella/furio thing. it would have been interesting to see what would have happened had the two of them "tested the waters". i know if i was furio i would have hightailed it outta there too.

Dave_Brown

Supporting Actor
i was a little bummed (although it made perfect sense) about the way they concluded the carmine/furio thing.
Probably a type-o, but you mean Carmella and Furio... and I was glad to see it over as it was driving me nuts they way she was acting around him.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
ahh..thx dave. that does clear up a little bit. thx for the catch - i'll fix my post. can't keep all those italian names straight...not to mention that carmine is a male's name. ack!

DeeF

Screenwriter
Neither Meadow, nor Janice, can run The Sopranos, without a husband. "The hand that rocks the cradle rules the nest...", remember. Meadow could only take over with someone in the figurehead position.

Allen Hirsch

Supporting Actor
Ted-
Paulie's been the "leak" from Tony's crew that let Carmine and Johnny know about Tony's HUD scam, as well as Ralphie's joke about Johnny's wife.

Carmine had indirectly authorized Tony to "take out" Johnny earlier, because Ralphie was a bigger producer than Johnny. So, Johnny's clout is clearly limited. Which made Paulie even more of a sucker, to think when he had Johnny's ear meant he had Carmine's support.

Johnny's now playing both ends against the middle - hinting to Tony that Tony's problems with the NY mob on the NJ HUD scam would go away if only Carmine went away - implying that Johnny wouldn't demand the 40% that Carmine is demanding. I suspect that Tony won't take that (major) step without a much better understanding of who will be in charge in the NY mob, and that the loser in all this, in the end, will be Jonny Sack.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
great clarification allen - thx!
i totally forgot that paulie leaked the hud thing. i don't know what that guy (or johnny) is thinking! :rolleyes

Rob Willey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rob
I read on another forum that the lack of DD 5.1 on D* was due to it being a free preview weekend of HBO.
Best moment for me in this ep: Paulie and Sil's standoff when they both rise out of their chairs, "Oh!! I'm just tryin' to tell you how you're fuckin' perceived!" :)
Rob

Kevin*R

Agent
Thank goodness the Carmella/Fuhrio romance is finally over. I guess Carmella's role needed some action too?

Newton

Auditioning
I missed it Sunday and just watched it tonight. In the meeting that T has with Johnny Sack, I took it to mean that Johnny was hinting that if he (Johnny) whacked Carmine, he'd like to work for T. Because Johnny says to T 'Give me a call' right after he hints about maybe something happening to Carmine. So later when T says "Holy shit!", I took that to mean "Holy shit! He's gonna whack Carmine!".

And I thought for sure that Carmine would want to whack T and that Furio would volunteer to be the inside man to do it. But then he left for Italy...or did he?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks