1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Sony XBR400WEGA and 16:9 DVD's

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by MarshawnM, Aug 9, 2001.

1. MarshawnM

MarshawnM Well-Known Member

Forum,
    I and a friend are having a disagreement. I have an XBR400WEGA (Sony). I say that when I view DVD's that are 16:9 enhanced, I'm getting the same picture that I would with a TV that naturally 16:9. Being that this mode is HDTV ready (just add HD decoder). Also, only DTVs can take advantage of a progress scan signal, which the XBR does, (I just purchased the Denon 2800 sweet). Lastly, since DVD's have different aspect ratios, letterboxing does not, therefore Gladiator (aspect ratio of 2.35:1) doesn't look (picture size wise) like Jurassic Park (aspect ratio 1.85:1) He says I’m getting "fancy letterbox". If the XBR WEGA could not show 16:9 then my picture would look distorted (everyone would look like George from Seinfeld, short and fat), as my DVD is set to output 16:9. Can anyone settle this? Thanks in
    advance

2. Jeremy Hegna

Jeremy Hegna Well-Known Member

Marshawn,
    You may want to post this in the TV Projectors area.
    I don't quite understand what your question is...

3. Reginald Trent

Reginald Trent Well-Known Member

You'll probably get better answers if this were in the TV/Projector Forum.
    I also own a Sony XBR400 but I'm not sure what you're asking other than will you get the same picture on the 4:3 XBR and a 16:9 the answer is yes. However, more of the black letterbox bars are exposed on a 4:3 TV than a 16:9.
    BTW is you DVD player set for a 16:9 TV? If not it should be to take avantage of the XBR's anamorphic squeeze feature, you should see greater video resolution.

4. MarshawnM

MarshawnM Well-Known Member

I will move to TV area of HTF (forgot about that).

5. Reginald Trent

Reginald Trent Well-Known Member

Go to the forum feedback area and ask a moderator to move it for you.

6. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    If I understand, you're asking if the 'squeezed' picture on the Wega is the image you would get on widescreen (16:9) set, assuming they were the same equivalent sizes.
    The answer is Yes.
    Setting the DVD player to output to 16:9 TV means it will send the video signal appropriate for a widescreen TV. The WEGA has that zippy squeeze feature that accepts the video signal for a widescreen TV, and then vertically compresses its scan lines to create a widescreen image, and so properly display the widescreen image from the DVD player.