What's new

Sony XBR10 - Is Sony done with local-dimming, Tri-Luminous LED TVs? (1 Viewer)

Darren Pillans

Second Unit
I'm hoping to get some clarification.

The XBR10 is an edge-lit, white LED, 1080P wireless TV.

Is it the official replacement of the XBR8?

If so, it would confirm that Sony has abandoned its local-dimming, Tri-Luminous, LED technology. If this is the next generation of Sony's top-of-the line, consider me disappointed.

It was a happy day when the set-top-box was done away with and tuners were incorporated into TVs. Now Sony has taken it out again! I don't want another box to deal with! Plus, I can't figure out if, or where the speakers are on this thing. If it does actually have speakers, I'm sure they sound terrible.

Is reducing thickness so important as to compromise the TV in so many other ways?

And the price? Is this their attempt to compete with Samsung?

Sony are making it harder for me to want one of their TVs.

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
Is reducing thickness so important as to compromise the TV in so many other ways?

And the price? Is this their attempt to compete with Samsung?

If you are really concerned about audio quality you would not be using the tv speakers anyways.

They desperately need to adjust their pricing as Samsung is making some extremely nice panels.

Darren Pillans

Second Unit
It matters because most of the time, I just want to turn on the TV and watch it.

As I have no interest in wall mounting, does it really matter how thin it is? I find TVs look more stylish with their stand on a nice cabinet anyway.

Sony's XBR10 and Samsung's latest thin LED LCDs are a good example where the aesthetic is infringing upon the performance of a product.

I agree with you about Sony's pricing. I assumed they copied Samsung's edge-lit approach to compete. And then Sony lists the XBR10 at obscene prices. Does Sony want to keep coming second to Samsung? Looks like they do.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks