1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Sony why not release a Frank Borzage double feature

Discussion in 'DVD' started by RafaelPires, Jun 7, 2009.

1. RafaelPires

RafaelPires Well-Known Member

Following the same idea applied to the Boetticher, Michael Powell and Sam Fuller collections, I think it would be awesome if Sony decided to release a Frank Borzage Collection as a double feature set, containing the incredible Man's Castle (Spencer Tracy and Loretta Young) and No Greater Glory.

I would gladly add this to my dvd collection.

What do you think about it?

2. Simon Howson

Simon Howson Well-Known Member

Great idea!

It was kind of sad to see a few Borzage films added to Warner Archive this month after the luxurious Borzage / Murnau box that Fox must've spent a fortune preparing last year.

3. ahollis

ahollis Well-Known Member

Allen

But, the sales more than likely helped kill the Fox classic DVD division. I did do my part and have the set (along with Ford at Fox) and would love to see a Sony double feature, but a least the WA allow us access where we would not if it was not there.

4. ParineetaKumar

ParineetaKumar New Member

Following the same idea applied to the Boetticher
    [​IMG]

5. Charles H

Charles H Well-Known Member

A great idea! Does anyone know if the 75 minute version of A MAN'S CASTLE still exists?

I hope that the Warner Archive brings out HISTORY IS MADE AT NIGHT. That and MOONRISE (sadly festering away in a LionsGate vault) are my favorite Borzages.

6. Livius

Livius Well-Known Member

I too have a hunch that huge Fox set played a major part in closing down Fox's classic releases. If that actually is the case then Borzage films are likely considered poison in the industry right now.

7. RafaelPires

RafaelPires Well-Known Member

But we are talking now about a double feature dvd, not a gigantic box set dedicated to Borzage, as it was te Fox Borzage collection.

I think this double feature, if released in a reasonable price, as it was the Michael Powell collector's choice, would sell well.

8. ahollis

ahollis Well-Known Member

Allen

I agree with you and think the double feature is a good idea, my remark on the box set was that an earlier poster was upset that Warners put a couple of Borzage films out in the Warner Archive and could not understand why they could not do a deluxe version as Fox did. I was happy that Warners released them at all and will be all over a Sony release of Borzage's.

9. cadavra

cadavra Well-Known Member

IMHO, the problem with the Borzage/Murnau set was the value. The Ford box was about 25 features at a $300 list, or $12 apiece. The B/M box was 12 features for $240 list, or $20 apiece, a 67% increase. Throw in the fact that those two filmmakers are far less well-known and accessible than Ford, and you have a recipe for disaster. I'm sure I'm not the only one who's waiting until the price drops way down.

Mike S.

10. John Hodson

John Hodson Well-Known Member

John
    No. No, you're not.