What's new

Sony why not release a Frank Borzage double feature (1 Viewer)

RafaelPires

Supporting Actor
Following the same idea applied to the Boetticher, Michael Powell and Sam Fuller collections, I think it would be awesome if Sony decided to release a Frank Borzage Collection as a double feature set, containing the incredible Man's Castle (Spencer Tracy and Loretta Young) and No Greater Glory.

I would gladly add this to my dvd collection.

What do you think about it?

Simon Howson

Screenwriter
Great idea!

It was kind of sad to see a few Borzage films added to Warner Archive this month after the luxurious Borzage / Murnau box that Fox must've spent a fortune preparing last year.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen

But, the sales more than likely helped kill the Fox classic DVD division. I did do my part and have the set (along with Ford at Fox) and would love to see a Sony double feature, but a least the WA allow us access where we would not if it was not there.

Charles H

Screenwriter
A great idea! Does anyone know if the 75 minute version of A MAN'S CASTLE still exists?

I hope that the Warner Archive brings out HISTORY IS MADE AT NIGHT. That and MOONRISE (sadly festering away in a LionsGate vault) are my favorite Borzages.

Colin McGuigan

Second Unit
Real Name
Colin McGuigan

I too have a hunch that huge Fox set played a major part in closing down Fox's classic releases. If that actually is the case then Borzage films are likely considered poison in the industry right now.

RafaelPires

Supporting Actor
But we are talking now about a double feature dvd, not a gigantic box set dedicated to Borzage, as it was te Fox Borzage collection.

I think this double feature, if released in a reasonable price, as it was the Michael Powell collector's choice, would sell well.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen

I agree with you and think the double feature is a good idea, my remark on the box set was that an earlier poster was upset that Warners put a couple of Borzage films out in the Warner Archive and could not understand why they could not do a deluxe version as Fox did. I was happy that Warners released them at all and will be all over a Sony release of Borzage's.

cadavra

Supporting Actor
Real Name
mike schlesinger

IMHO, the problem with the Borzage/Murnau set was the value. The Ford box was about 25 features at a $300 list, or $12 apiece. The B/M box was 12 features for $240 list, or $20 apiece, a 67% increase. Throw in the fact that those two filmmakers are far less well-known and accessible than Ford, and you have a recipe for disaster. I'm sure I'm not the only one who's waiting until the price drops way down.

Mike S.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks