What's new

Sony - What's Up with KWAI and LAWRENCE? (1 Viewer)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Your two most prestigious Oscar-winners are still M.I.A. on Blu-ray. Wanting to get these out looking their best is understandable (and desirable), but it's been a long, long time, and even last year there were intimations these would be released in 2009. Any progress?

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
I voted in an online Sony poll about what to release. I voted for Lawrence. It won and Sony promised to release it. They managed to have it shown on HD Net Movies but no release, yet, after 2+ years....

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
I don't see what the concern is all about. These two titles are gonna be released on BD. It's not a question of if, but of when. Sony's release schedule is outright dominated by their marketing department, so 90% of the reason these titles are not out yet is likely due to not having a marketing window they like. My guess is Nov-Dec 2010.

Greg_M

Screenwriter
Sony never answers these threads. I don't know what's up with SONY but they sure haven't released anything old expect for a few black and white 1960s classics and some stop animiation stuff

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Sony has released/has scheduled to release about the same # of their pre-90s catalog as the other major studios (Fox/MGM/Paramount) this side of Warner. If anything, Disney and Universal are the ones who need to pick up the slack. (Disney has far less catalog, and Universal is still playing Blu-ray catch-up).

Studios by decade

1930-1939

Disney - 1
Warner - 3

1940-1949

Disney - 2
Fox - 1
Paramount - 1
Warner - 1

1950-1959

Disney - 1
Fox - 4
Sony - 4
Warner - 7

1960-1969

Fox - 5
MGM - 8
Sony - 4
Warner - 9

1970-1979

Fox - 13
MGM - 9
Paramount - 7
Sony - 5
Warner - 23

1980-1989

Fox - 11
Lionsgate - 6
MGM - 13
Sony - 15
Paramount - 18
Universal - 6
Warner - 27

Totals

Disney - 4
Fox - 34
Lionsgate - 6
MGM - 30
Sony - 28
Paramount - 26
Universal - 6
Warner - 70

Eric F

Screenwriter
Small solace if you don't have it, but If you want to catch them, they're on HDNet Movies at least once a month (at least Lawrence is, Bridge has been on in the recent past too).

Peter Neski

Screenwriter
"they're on HDNet Movies at least once a month "

Well thanks to those jerks at Time Warner Cable ,we don't get those channels anymore ,but the very good but very defective MGM HD
channel ,and one of the worst HD channels ever MAV!!!!

Sony can't bother with the better Lean Films when they have to rush out classic's lke "St Elmo's Fire" and "About
Last Night" on Blue Ray

rich_d

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich
Exactly. Their is NO excuse for Lawrence of Arabia. This was their demo film for Blu-Ray when introduced in the States, oh so many year ago. Just awful Sony.

Originally Posted by Peter Neski

Sony can't bother with the better Lean Films when they have to rush out classic's lke "St Elmo's Fire" and "About
Last Night" on Blue Ray

rich_d

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich
Originally Posted by Brandon Conway

I don't see what the concern is all about. These two titles are gonna be released on BD. It's not a question of if, but of when. Sony's release schedule is outright dominated by their marketing department, so 90% of the reason these titles are not out yet is likely due to not having a marketing window they like. My guess is Nov-Dec 2010.

Yeah, the bastards. I say we murder 'em all.
Brandon,

Your sarcasm and 'complain about the complainers' status are dully noted. Clearly we're not solving world hunger here but if you want to create a thread stating that you believe that studios delaying the release of important films that would benefit from a hi-def release such as Lawrence and Kwai is a good thing, I'm sure there are plenty here that would love to chime in. Otherwise, your 'could be worse, could be raining' posts are what they are.

Simon Howson

Screenwriter
I'm sure a new digital restoration of Bridge on the River Kwai could produce a much better transfer than what the DVD showed.

Heinz W

Second Unit
I agree it taking Sony a long time to get these out.

I just hope that the delay with these two titles will result in outstanding transfers. They deserve nothing less. For Lawrence it would be nice to get all the extras from the original 2-disc DVD release combined with the accurately color timed transfer of the Superbit DVD in one comprehensive Blu-ray.

I still like the packaging of the original DVD (the tweed box) and may use it for the Blu.

Question for those who have seen LoA on HDNet: Was it OAR or cropped to 1.78:1?

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Heinz W

I agree it taking Sony a long time to get these out.

I just hope that the delay with these two titles will result in outstanding transfers. They deserve nothing less. For Lawrence it would be nice to get all the extras from the original 2-disc DVD release combined with the accurately color timed transfer of the Superbit DVD in one comprehensive Blu-ray.

I still like the packaging of the original DVD (the tweed box) and may use it for the Blu.

Question for those who have seen LoA on HDNet: Was it OAR or cropped to 1.78:1?
HDNet is very conscientious about showing films in OAR, and it's no different with LOA. However, the transfer is rather mediocre--it's riddled with EE, and doesn't look all that detailed.

Heinz W

Second Unit
Originally Posted by RobertR

HDNet is very conscientious about showing films in OAR, and it's no different with LOA. However, the transfer is rather mediocre--it's riddled with EE, and doesn't look all that detailed.
Well if that's the case I'll just wait for the BD. On most of the titles I own on both Blu and DVD any EE problems were either eliminated or greatly reduced on the Blu-ray. 2001: A Space Odyssey is a great example of this.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Originally Posted by rich_d

Brandon,

Your sarcasm and 'complain about the complainers' status are dully noted. Clearly we're not solving world hunger here but if you want to create a thread stating that you believe that studios delaying the release of important films that would benefit from a hi-def release such as Lawrence and Kwai is a good thing, I'm sure there are plenty here that would love to chime in. Otherwise, your 'could be worse, could be raining' posts are what they are.
Just trying to bring some levity and common sense to the conversation. I know I want both films in HD, but unlike other titles that may never be released on BD, these two are 100% locks to be released. Sony knows this, and everyone else knows it. These aren't titles that will come any sooner with a fan made letter writing campaign. They'll come when Sony is good and ready to deliver them, and not a day sooner. We could turn this entire forum into the "When is Lawrence Coming Out on Blu-ray Forum" and it wouldn't make a lick of difference.

I've also always found it a poor argument to point at other releases that are coming out as somehow preventing another film from getting released. About Last Night isn't delaying Lawrence's release by a second.

rich_d

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich

Just trying to bring some levity and common sense to the conversation. I know I want both films in HD, but unlike other titles that may never be released on BD, these two are 100% locks to be released. Sony knows this, and everyone else knows it. These aren't titles that will come any sooner with a fan made letter writing campaign. They'll come when Sony is good and ready to deliver them, and not a day sooner. We could turn this entire forum into the "When is Lawrence Coming Out on Blu-ray Forum" and it wouldn't make a lick of difference.

I've also always found it a poor argument to point at other releases that are coming out as somehow preventing another film from getting released. About Last Night isn't delaying Lawrence's release by a second.
Your argument seems to be based on that this sub-forum as primarily a portal to discuss viewpoints with the studios. It's not. Nor is the film sub-forum a way of getting directors to change the way they make films. It's a sub-forum for hi-def video discussions among members. I don't give a rat's tail if someone from the studio reads them or not.

"I've also always found it a poor argument to point at other releases that are coming out as somehow preventing another film from getting released. About Last Night isn't delaying Lawrence's release by a second."
Well, that's not one of my points. But if there are any positives to Lawrence being delayed at present, please let us know. As it is, Blu-Ray seems to have all the traction of a rainy road after the leaves have fallen. Perhaps they are patiently waiting for the 15-24 year old kids to get off Gaming and the Internet [/sarcasm tag].

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Originally Posted by rich_d

Your argument seems to be based on that this sub-forum as primarily a portal to discuss viewpoints with the studios. It's not. Nor is the film sub-forum a way of getting directors to change the way they make films. It's a sub-forum for hi-def video discussions among members. I don't give a rat's tail if someone from the studio reads them or not
The thread is titled: "Sony - What's Up with KWAI and LAWRENCE?" My mistake for interpreting such as this thread being made with the hope of getting Sony's attention....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks