What's new

SONY TURNS NEW LEAF: Open Season (AVC)--the BEST looking HD title... (1 Viewer)

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
As I understand it, the fringes are the result of poor convergence on the film-to-video transfer. No joke, it is apparently very tricky to build and set up a proper 70mm telecine, although there ought to be plenty of experience with them by now (considering that NHK was using 70mm as a storage format for early HD video back in the '70s, before anyone succeeded in building a HDTV video-tape recorder).

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
I should also add that I had the chance last night to screen this title in full 1920 x 1080 on my friend's JVC 1080p projector and all my video impressions are still the same... simply the sharpest, clearest, most unfiltered CGI HD I've seen.

WOW.

DeeF

Screenwriter
Just chiming in about Ben Hur (the recent DVD). I wish I could pinpoint what's wrong with it, but it doesn't seem quite top-notch, eh? Even the color seems to be off. The older DVD had its problems, and was considerably cropped, but overall, still seems to be superior.

I do hope they will be making new transfers of these films for HD release.

Doug Schiller

Supporting Actor
I'm very impressed with Open Season but I still think it is a little shy of the heights reached from King Kong and Hulk on HD-DVD.
There was a lack of detail in the background that looked like matte paintings instead of fully rendered environments.

TedD

Supporting Actor
Watched Open Season last night and the best I could give it might be a 4. Not anywhere near as impressive as I was led to believe......

Sony Qualia 004, Isco Cinema DLP anamorphic lens, 5'x13' CIH screen viewed from 14' Panasonic BD and HTPC PC running PDVD Ultra. 1080 60I and 1080 24PsF.

Ted

Cavan.B

Stunt Coordinator

It was VC-1. The only Universal title that was AVC was The Interpreter, and that was done in the early stages of the format.

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
Ted, can you explain the visual flaw that made it a 4 for you?

Viewed it last night using the PS3 1080i/60 HDMI out to Lexicon MC12HD-Audio-processor HDMI out to DVDO VP50-Video-Processor 1080P/60 HDMI out to Ruby projected on a 110" screen and thought it was like watching the film, that I had previously viewed, at the theater.:emoji_thumbsup:

Paul

TedD

Supporting Actor
The detail just wasn't up to what was advertised here in this thread.
Watched it again last night with the SO. I might bump the IQ up to a 4.25 :).

Don't get me wrong, it was good. Just not exceptional. After considering the issue and the apparent differences between what we see, I suspect the $3,000.00 optics of the Qualia might be revealing additional details on some (other) HD material that wouldn't be quite as obvious with many other projectors.

Ted

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Interesting.

I screened this the other night on my friend's JVC HD2K (optics that rival the Qualia) and it still looked pretty sharp/detailed to my eyes. I haven't seen Hulk or Kong however so I can't compre to those HD experiences.

The processor was outputing true 1080p60 to the projector head (it, full 3-2 pulldown reversal from the 1080i60 output of the PS3).

Ted, curious how Ice Age 2 on BD looks to your eyes in your system. Do you find it disappointingly soft?

TedD

Supporting Actor
Just took a few minutes to compare the two titles, and to my eyes Ice Age actually has more fine detail in closeups. For example, fur is much more detailed in Ice Age than in Open Season.

Ted

TedD

Supporting Actor
Yes, strange. I am running 1080I from an HTPC with PowerDVD over HDMI direct to the Qualia. I see the same at 24PsF as well. NVidia 880GTX video card.

Ted

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I watched OPEN SEASON this afternoon and was very impressed with the quality of the video. Yes, I thought a few of the backgrounds might not have been as three dimensional as they could have been (I can't imagine what THE INCREDIBLES is going to look like if/when we finally get it on Blu-ray), but for the most part, the images were eye popping in color and detail.

(I don't have ICE AGE so I can't make any comparisons.)

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I watched this film on DVD. I haven't been able to see it on BD, since I do not own a BD player........yet. I noticed, in the credits, that matte painters were employed on this picture. If the some of the backgrounds look flat or like matte paintings, as is noted in some of the other posts, then it most likely is a painted background. If you guys are noticing such things then the BD transfer of this film must be pretty good.

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
I agree. The image quality was very fine, but not better than many other releases I have seen on both BD and HD. If I had to pick, I think King Kong would be the disk I would pick for detail.

So much of what we see is subjective, and hardware has a great deal to do with the detail that we view. Previously, I owned a Panasonic 900U. A very good projector, but it had a softness to it's projected image that was not very objectionable, but it certainly was noticable. When I changed over to their 100U, that softness went away. While the projected detail was the same between the projectors but what your perception was of the image changed. I can not wait to get a 1080p projector to experience many of these movies once again and see what changes I see.

MarekM

Supporting Actor
I saw it finaly today, and even on 720p Samsung LCD TV, it was amazing :)
and I can't wait for CARS and other pixar movies :)

Marek

Andy_MT

Second Unit
i'm having a hard time getting used to this whole new concept of getting HT software from sony and it looking really good (like this one). it's a big change. especially after all the years of abuse from sony's mostly lackluster DVDs.

one annoyance. this is HD software, right ? so, why are the featurettes in SD ? no excuse for a new film. extra material should be in HD. and if the extra material was made for TV, it should have been sourced from HD. i wish they'd [studios] knock it off. what's the matter with them ? is there a legitimate reason for using SD ?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks