1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Sony SXRD and Cable Card

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Erik.Ha, May 1, 2006.

1. Erik.Ha

Erik.Ha Supporting Actor

We're shopping for a 50-60" rear projection TV.

Last night, based on reading a lot of stuff here and other forums, and viewing the various TVs at a local showroom, I thought I had narowed my choice down to the Sony KDS-R60XBR1.

So I downloaded the user manual from Sony, and started reading it, in terms of connections, just to make sure it would do what I want...

I am very interested in utilizing the "Cable Card" slot, as having to tune through an external cable box has been a pet peeve of mine for years now...

I know that means no cable box, and no cable box DVR, no cable menus, etc... Fine...

BUT... Can I hook up a REGULAR DVR (Tivo or a simple DVR harddrive without all the tivo bells & whisltes)? It looks like there is no OUTPUT from the TV, other than a couple of RCA audio and a single Digital audto outs on the back.

How would a DVR (or even a $50 VCR for that matter) grab the descrambled signal coming out of the TV?

Any help is appreciated.