What's new

Sony STR-DH520 Reciever and Speaker Question (1 Viewer)

gwmarthe

Auditioning
Real Name
George Marthers
Good Afternoon All!

I am trying to setup my home theater and am running into an issue that I hope someone can help with.

Reciever: Sony STR-DH520
Speakers: Kirksaeter PRISMA DIPOLE/BIPOLE 55

These speakers have 2 terminals in the back, I went to Best Buy this morning and they told me that I would need to upgrade my receiver (Pioneer Elite $500) because this Sony could not support Bi Amps. They also said I could buy a bi amp cord that would cost around $300 for one speaker.

I am trying to figure out the best solution to this issue but this is beyond my knowledge. Kirksaters website states that the speakers are split into a right and left chamber and each side has their own terminal, could I run separate lines to the speaker and tie them in together in the receiver?

Please let me know if you have any advice or need any clarification, thanks in advance and enjoy football season!

- George

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Best Buy is a bunch of morons.

All that is...is just like it says it is. A stereo speaker in one box. Hook up is straightforward. The owners manual/tech sheet tells you exactly what you do. They are hardly the only company with this type of speaker.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
My bi-amp speakers came with little metal brackets that bridge the two sets for single wiring. And if I wanted to wire both sets I'd just remove the bridge. All you need to do is just connect the terminals together with a short bit of speaker wire. The geek squad should know better!

gwmarthe

Auditioning
Real Name
George Marthers
Thanks for the help! My speakers do not have that metal bracket that bridges them. The terminals are not on top of each other they are next to each other (horizontal). Would this mean that they are powering the right side and left side of the speakers separately and would not have different frequencies??

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Exactly.

This is, again, and exactly as stated at the website...

A single stereo speaker. (that is what you call this)

You make it bi-pole, just as it explains on the website in the owner's manual/spec sheet...

Connect, on the speaker the red from the amp, that ones black to the next red, the last black left, back to the amp. Period done.

You make it di-pole, just as it explains on the website in the owner's manual/spec sheet...

Connect, on the speakers the red from the amp to the red. The black negatives together and the final red positive back to the amp. Period done.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
"... I went to Best Buy this morning and they told me that I would need to upgrade my receiver (Pioneer Elite $500) because this Sony could not support Bi Amps. They also said I could buy a bi amp cord that would cost around $300 for one speaker."

:eek: Un-freakin'-believable.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks