What's new

Sony STR-DG920 - Sound Field Question (1 Viewer)

AGN

Auditioning
Real Name
Adam
I bought the Sony STR-DG920 receiver a few months ago, and I had a question about the sound fields in the music category. For the Stadium and Sports sound fields, the speaker indicator on the display panel shows boxes for 5 speakers lit up: front left & right, center, and rear left & right. As it turns out, for these two sound fields I'm only getting sound out of the front left and right speakers. The indicator shows "L" and "R" inside of the boxes for the front speakers, while the other three are just empty boxes, so I figured maybe sound is only output to the speakers that have a letter inside the boxes on the display. However, three other sound fields named Hall, Jazz Club, and Live Concert all show empty boxes for the left and right rear speakers, and I do get sound out of them.

I should point out that I have my receiver set up for 5.1 surround instead of 7.1 surround, but I don't think that should make a difference. If anyone else has the Sony STR-DG920 (or the 720 or 820 models, I'm guessing they all have the same sound fields), could you please check to see if your rear and center speakers work on the Stadium and Sports sound fields? I'm wondering if my receiver has a problem, or if they are all like this. Thanks a lot!

rayjoe2ches

Auditioning
Real Name
Ray
Same sort of question. I have a 920 and set it up for AFD auto. With a Sony S350 BRD I am decoding multi-channel and DTS-HD master but the rcvr display is not indicating discrete Surround Back left and right. I have empty boxes on the display for the Surround back channels BUT I am getting sound from them. In fact sounds real good. better than the 720 I replaced. Is this normal? I see the discrete Surround Back left and right display labeled when I use PCM or Enhanced Surround Mode with PL IIx. Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation380
Recent bookmarks