What's new

Sony STR-DE898 vs Onkyo TX-SR603X (1 Viewer)

dennyKyser

Auditioning
You guys have made me paranoid about my Circuit City purchase last week of the Sony STR-DE898. I thought it was the most bang for the buck $299.00 with 3 year replacement warranty but dont want to find out a year down the road I should have spent a little more to get better quality.

I am sure I can exchange the reciever since I just purchased it 3 days ago and the next step up would be the 90W Onkyo TX-SR603X $434.00 or the Onkyo TX-SR703 which would really be strething it at $759.00.

What do you guys sugest, I will have to exchange there I am sure so not as many options as I would like.
Do I upgrade now so I dont loose any $$$ or do I just do as planed and spend the $$ to replace my cheap speakers?

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I'd go for the 603, especially for just ~$30-$40. I've installed the 502, 601 and an 8011 for customers and each time, I was pretty impressed with their sound quality and configurability. I don't know about th 898, but the 603 also has the auto-calibration feature. I wouldn't say quality is a problem with Sony (I haven't bought a Sony receiver in a LONG time), but I wouldn't consider them true bang for the buck compared to what's out there. If they have Harman Kardon or Denon, I'd also look at their offerings as well.

dennyKyser

Auditioning
I fixed the error, the Sony was $299.00 with the 3 year replacement, the price on the tag was $389.00 but they had an error on the website and had to honor the $279.00 price. Had it corected the very next day.

So the price differance would be $140.00 ?

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The Onkyo is still better. The H/K is still probably better as well. H/K is very honest about rating their amps in the real world, not just slapping 100W on everything they make to make customers happy, and the reality is, most people probably don't need more than 50 TRUE watts. (sorry, thought it said $399) Are they $140 better? That's a tough one, but probably not; that's a good deal :)

dennyKyser

Auditioning
Thanks for the help, If I had waited would probably be looking at a Denon, but now stuck with the Sony, HK, or Onkyo.

Westly T

Second Unit
I think you got a deal on the Sony and might just keep it and look at your speakers after you save a little more. In a couple years you'll likely need some new features and can upgrade to a nice unit then. There will be some changes in formats and video formats you will probably want to take advantage of. I vote for you to keep the Sony.

dennyKyser

Auditioning
I have decided to go with the Onkyo TX-SR703. My TV had DVI and HDMI so if the imputs are important to me in the future I have them, and I also ordered some Infinity Primus 160's and a Infinity C25 center speaker. I will replace my mains later and save my cheaper Techinics surounds I have now for the Rear surounds. I figure if I want to upgrade speakers later can sell on ebay and take a minimum loss, at least I will have a good reciever to build on. :D

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I think you could have lived with the Sony for a while too until you reached the point where it was time for a real upgrade, but I think the 703 is a great choice. It should be up to date for a long time and power shouldn't be a problem either. Congrats!

dennyKyser

Auditioning
After hooking up the Onkyo, Primus 160's and C25 last night it was obvious I made a great decision, What a differance. Cant wait to get my Infinity Primus 250's tonight.

Chuck C

Senior HTF Member
Remember, for every doubling in wattage, you'd only get a 3dB increase in sound pressure level.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks