What's new

Sony Stalling Some Classic Shows: Why Sony Why? (1 Viewer)

phenri

Second Unit
Real Name
Paul
Jack P said:
But as far as what I'd be interested in buying that's drawing a collar. I would much rather see Shout finish what they started with "Fantasy Island" if we have to see work on a Sony property, and I would also much rather see "Hart To Hart" unstalled and finished (then that would just leave "Love Boat" from CBS for all my late 70s grails). I could probably at most from that list of four Lear titles only be persuaded to get S7 of "The Jeffersons" just to see their "Who Shot JR" parody episode.

This has always been the infuriating thing about Shout. They have too much of a track record of not finishing what they started, and for every title they've done right (Barney Miller, Dragnet, Adam-12, Bob Newhart) there are also those of us who are still not happy with "Ironside", "Marcus Welby MD", "Fantasy Island" (just as others are still wondering why they can't finish things off for "Rhoda" and "Mister Ed"). The Timeless label, even under Shout's control now, by contrast always seems ready to finish what they start no matter what.
The Sony titles I'm interested in are the ones Shout! never finished, like Fantasy Island, The Rookies, Police Story, and Police Woman. I don't care about any other Sony titles they plan to release, especially Maude and One Day at a Time.

TVonDVDJunkie05

Second Unit
Real Name
Nick
A mix. Shows that Shout picked up from Sony then stalled AND shows that only Sony put out then abandoned. You're on the right track with your guesses.
Good to see that they will be continuing some shows that they seemingly abandoned. Hopefully the stalled shows they resume releasing are actually completed this time around.If Shout! is going to continue releasing Sony properties then what exactly is Mill Creek's role?! Are they simply re-releasing the series/seasons that Sony previously released or will they also re-release stuff that Shout! Factory has released?!
Studios aren't stalling releases. If a DVD release for a TV series doesn't sell, the studios simply stop releasing further releases of that show.
They are in the sense that they have unrealistically high sales expectations which leads them to stop releasing shows because they haven't met their expectations. Just because a show was popular during its intial run and even in syndication does not mean that it will have the same popularity on DVD. Also, the fan bases for the older classic series are shrinking as people get older, that is something they should take in mind.
The Sony titles I'm interested in are the ones Shout! never finished, like Fantasy Island, The Rookies, Police Story, and Police Woman.
I think Fantasy Island will eventually be completed but I am not sure about the others. Shout! only had the rights to S1 for Police Story and they said that it did not sell very well so I don't see any further releases coming- at least not from them.
But I could see them doing a complete Maude and/or One Day At A Time if they release those.
I would agree with Maude (I think music rights are what is holding up further releases) but I am not sure if One Day at a Time would sell well enough for Shout! to consider releasing a complete series set?! I also don't think they would do a complete series set of The Jeffersons, also the remaining unreleased seasons are from the latter half of its run and as has been mentioned sales drop off with each subsequent season. Having said that, I think they should take a chance and release at least 1 or 2 seasons and see how it does.

Dave Lawrence

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
Neil Brock said:
You're batting .500!
I'm going to guess that the 2 new acquisitions are Archie Bunker's Place and The Jeffersons, since I think those are the 2 with the least number of possible music-related issues. I think Stephanie sang a couple of times on ABP. The Jeffersons had guest appearances by Sister Sledge and Andrae Crouch, and George sang "You Light Up My Life" in one episode. But there were even more songs included on Maude and One Day at a Time.

Personally, I'd prefer ABP and Maude, but I'm not opposed to any of the 4 possibilities.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
Sooner or Later, Sony is going to have to break down and review it's negatives and holding for some of the 1st, 2nd and 3rd tier tv shows from the 1950's-1970's that they haven't invested the time or money to do anything with. and figure out what to do.

bronson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Adrian
If you´re interested in "Hart to Hart". On YouTube you can watch some "Hart to Hart" Clips in HD. The series were running remastered in Germany on a HD channel. The channel is called GlitzHD.

The picture quality is flawless, You never saw "Hart to Hart" in this quality. The series even was shown in 2 languages (German/English).

I own Season 3+4 in this great quality. I will get Season 5 in a couple of weeks. Somebody taped it for me.

bronson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Adrian
If you´re interested in "Hart to Hart". On YouTube you can watch the intro and some clips in HD. Both from the German TV channel GlitzHD. The picture quality is amazing. You never saw the series in such a quality.

The picture was probably new remastered. I own Season 3+4. I´ll get Season 5 probably in a couple of weeks.

Glitz HD even broadcasted the series in 2 languages (German/English).

Frank Soyke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
I really have my doubts on The Jeffersons. For the amount of seasons released already, I don't think they would invest it the remainder which are the less popular episodes. Since ABP only only has 3 seasons unreleased, I wouldn't bet on that one either. Maude and One Day would be my top choices among this group anyway.

By thew way, how come no-one has mentioned Silver Spoons? Pretty popular for it's time and a long runner.

UniversalPhan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jonathan Winters
I just hope that Mill Creek isn't becoming the defacto studio to releasing these classic titles. If they are, I'm just going to resort to downloading them online. I'm just not impressed with the picture quality of Mill Creek's DVD releases because they sport such atrocious picture quality that they should be banned form releasing DVDs in this country.

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Many people want the last 2 and one half seasons left of Family 1976. I do not see it coming from Sony but have hopes that another such as MPI or Shout might pick it up.

John Karras

Second Unit
Real Name
Lawrence
Mark Collins said:
Many people want the last 2 and one half seasons left of Family 1976. I do not see it coming from Sony but have hopes that another such as MPI or Shout might pick it up.
I'm hoping for Family as well. My understanding is that it is on one company's radar if agreements can be worked out.

John Karras

Second Unit
Real Name
Lawrence
Frank Soyke said:
I really have my doubts on The Jeffersons. For the amount of seasons released already, I don't think they would invest it the remainder which are the less popular episodes. Since ABP only only has 3 seasons unreleased, I wouldn't bet on that one either. Maude and One Day would be my top choices among this group anyway.

By thew way, how come no-one has mentioned Silver Spoons? Pretty popular for it's time and a long runner.
There's one stalled Sony series that's yet to be mentioned in this thread that you'll be seeing...

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
John Karras said:
There's one stalled Sony series that's yet to be mentioned in this thread that you'll be seeing...
Well since we've already mentioned in addition to the four Lear sitcoms, Flying Nun, Fantasy Island Hart To Hart, Rookies, Police Story, Police Woman I can't think of another title unless we're sliding into the 80s and then maybe we're looking at T.J. Hooker or Facts Of Life or some other 80s title I can't think of.

Kasey

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kasey
John Karras said:
The only ones I can think of are THE NANNY or THE DONNA REED SHOW. And yes, I would love to see either.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
The last seasons of the Donna Reed Show and one more season of The Facts of Life (Season 6) are what I'd like to see.

I'd also buy the following season of The Facts of Life, but it's not a must have. No interest in the final two seasons.

TVonDVDJunkie05

Second Unit
Real Name
Nick
Silver Spoons is another show with music issues, from what I have read.

Who's the Boss? is another popular sitcom from the 80s that I am surprised has had only 1 season released?! I hope either Shout! or Mill Creek (preferably Shout! because their releases are better quality) will take a chance on this show and put out more seasons?!
I wish they'd release that one final season of The Flying Nun and rerelease Season 1 of Here Come The Brides!
I am surprised that Shout! has not released S3 of The Flying Nun?! This is a 'one and done' title, they have previously released other series that only had one season left un-released like S.W.A.T., Here Come The Brides and Hardy Boys Mysteries from Universal.

As for re-releases, Shout! should re-release S1 of Hazel since they are the ones who released all the other seasons. The same goes for S1-3 of Barney Miller & S1-6 of All in the Family, although I am not sure if those would sell very well since most fans probably already have the Sony releases.

On another note, one Sony show that has never been released that I would recommend Shout! look into is The Cosby Mysteries. It only lasted 1 season but was a pretty good show.

moviepas

Supporting Actor
I have the Hazel releases but why do the color episodes on my sets got a tick tick right thru the audio of episode after episode? I have not seen any complaint about this problem in reviews I have read.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks