What's new

Sony speaker cable connectors? (1 Viewer)

follicle

Auditioning
Real Name
Jon
I just recently setup my new Sony Soundbar system and I'm not quite sure how, but one of the six speaker cables has become pinched/kinked. The soundbar and sub are working just fine now, but I'm concerned that the sound to the far left speaker will cut out in the future due to the kink. I've checked for a replacement cable on Sony's website and found that it retails for $65!

Looking at the cables, it looks like Sony basically has a strand of six speaker cables strung together into one cable with special connectors on the ends. Here is a photo:

My question is: if anything ever goes wrong with the cables, is there something I can do to repair these? I'm assuming the gray cables are simply speaker cables with a protective covering. Can I pull these gray cables out of the connectors, replace them with regular speaker cable, and replace the connectors? I would try to pull the cables out of the connectors, but I'm afraid they are not meant to be removed. At this point, I'm just looking for a cheaper method of repairing the cables in case they go bad.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
The connectors are the only part of the system that CAN'T be replaced. They are proprietary connectors, so by definition they aren't available at your local hardware store. That's how Sony gets away with charging $65 for speaker cable and $0.03 plastic connectors.

If something goes wrong with the cable, you can simply splice in regular speaker wire and you'd be fine. Just be sure to splice one conductor at a time so there's less chance of changing polarity between the speaker and the connector.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks