What's new

Sony sa-wm40 help (1 Viewer)

GurchR

Auditioning
Hi
I recently purchased the Sony sa-wm40 after reading so many reviews about it being one of the best budget subs. However, Im having a problem with it. For some reason, when I set the cut-off at 50 Hz it BARELY picks up anything. When the cut-off is set to 170 Hz it gets good bass but not very deep at all. Can this be because of my amp? (sony STR-DE485)
Help?
Thanks a lot!

Michael.Cu

Agent
Try setting the x-over at ~100Hz. With it set at 50Hz, it's missing a good bit of signal from ~50Hz up to the receiver's cutoff. 170Hz is much too high, unless your other speakers won't play any lower than that.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
First make sure you have the sub connected to the receiver's LFE/sub out, not through the speaker level connections. Second, turn the crossover on the sub up all the way. Third, make sure the speaker setting on the receiver is set to small or maybe subwoofer on. This way the receiver's crossover is working and the sub's crossover isn't interfering. Fourth, calibrate it. Get VE, Avia or even one of those cheap DVDs from Best Buy and a Radio Shack SPL meter. If you can't calibrate, just turn up the sub level on the receiver until it sounds good. You shouldn't be hearing the sub all of the time, it should blend seamlessly with the other speakers (that's why calibration is so important). My parents use the Sony sub and it's a great little sub for the money. Just take a little time to set it up correctly.

-Robert

Jason Co

Second Unit
I second Robert's advice. I had a sony (before I bought an SVS :emoji_thumbsup: ) and it was a great sub for the dough.

J

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks