1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Sony releasing Night of the Creeps in October!

Discussion in 'DVD' started by cineMANIAC, Apr 3, 2009.

1. cineMANIAC

cineMANIAC Premium
    Supporter

Luis
    Michael Felsher, of Red Shirt Pictures has confirmed Sony will be releasing NOTC as a Director's Cut special edition in October. Just a little something to put a smile on our faces in this time of sorrow. Actually, this put a huge smile on MY face when I read it. Yay!

2. Michael Allred

Michael Allred Well-Known Member

Michael
    Hopefully the theatrical cut will be included on the release.

3. Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H Well-Known Member

Greg
    Wow. This has been wanted since the beginning of DVD.

4. Simon Caleb

Simon Caleb Well-Known Member

I'm sure it's a given Tom Atkins will feature on a running commentary. Especially so since Creeps is his personal favourite genre picture.

Nice to hear it will be a director's cut with the superior graveyard ending. I doubt they'll drop the theatrical climax from the disc, it's bound to be included in some form or another.

And I hope some of the (studio or MPAA) curtailed exploding head gore gags will be extended, if the footage has survived...

5. RickER

RickER Well-Known Member

Rick
    This is one of the last Laser Disc's i have, that need a DVD to replace it. I also hope we get both cuts of the movie.

6. Mike_Richardson

Mike_Richardson Well-Known Member

It's not even an altered climax -- it's basically the last shot of the movie that's different.

The lame "dog zombie" which the studio insisted Dekker shoot as a cheap scare is going to be in the supplemental section apparently. And we'll get the much more satisfying ending (without the heroine getting infected and the spaceship overhead) from the TV version instead.

As much as I usually campaign for theatrical edits to be included on Director's Cut DVDs, this isn't some later "rethinking" of the movie -- it's how Dekker always had the movie ending, and personally I have no problem with that. Like a lot of fans he hated the dog zombie last shot too, which I always felt was one of the only elements in the movie that didn't work (it was a really cheap way of ending the film IMO). Now with it replaced with the original conclusion, I think the movie has a chance to really be re-evaluated as one of the most entertaining sci-fi/comic horror films of the decade.

Now, there were some other alternate takes in the TV cut, so if they're being restored also, then I suppose the theatrical cut should be included separately. If it's just the ending, personally I can't see how most fans would prefer the zombie dog over Dekker's intended finish.

7. TheBat

TheBat Well-Known Member

Jacob
    MGMHD has been playing this movie this month. I have heard many things about the movie, but never seen it. I have it on my dvr.
    not sure if its the directors cut or theatre version.. most likey the theatre version.

Jacob

8. RobertR

RobertR Well-Known Member

When did MGMHD show it this month? I haven't seen it.

9. TheBat

TheBat Well-Known Member

Jacob
    oh crap.. I was thinking of another movie. my mistake.. sorry about the confusion.

Jacob

10. Chuck Pennington

Chuck Pennington Well-Known Member

MGMHD was showing NIGHT OF THE COMET - lol - very different film.

HDNET MOVIES has shown this movie, but only the theatrical version. Sci-Fi has shown the alternate TV edit with different takes and some additional scenes as well as the alternate ending. I hope this new disc will replace the anamorphic widescreen version I made from the HDNET broadcast and the additional scenes I included as a supplement - lol

11. Greg_D_R

Greg_D_R Well-Known Member

Very, very happy about this! Tom Atkins at his best, and one of the most enjoyable 80s horror flicks. I'm betting both endings will be there, but the cemetery ending is better by far. Thrill me!

12. ahollis

ahollis Well-Known Member

Allen
    So now we have Midnite Movies from Sony[​IMG]