What's new

Sony Questions, just purchased! (1 Viewer)

sx4dude2013

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brian
Hey yall. I had a older Sony HTIB that I purchased from Sears 5 years ago. It served me really really well until my dog chewed on it. Sold it for $100 and decided to look for another ALL IN ONE setup. I saw this at Wal-Mart on clearance for $350 and decided it was a good price. Picked up the last one. http://store.sony.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&productId=8198552921666438009 I have a few questions: 1) What is the best way to get sound from my TV (LED) to the system. Im assuming to plug my cable (not a box) into the receiver and the use the HDMI out to go to the TV? 2) Sony uses proprietary connectors for there speakers and subs. Is it possible to buy a connector, wire it to some wire, and hook it up to a powered sub that I decide to buy? 3) I wanted a Blu-ray player and a new system. For the money is it decent for a bedroom? Thanks!!!

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
1) What is the best way to get sound from my TV (LED) to the system. Im assuming to plug my cable (not a box) into the receiver and the use the HDMI out to go to the TV?
Yes, that's the best approach. Unfortunately that system only offers optical input (no HDMI), so you'll have to run the audio to the receiver and a video to the TV. If you go with this system (and I hope you don't) make sure your cable box allows both connections to be active.
2) Sony uses proprietary connectors for there speakers and subs. Is it possible to buy a connector, wire it to some wire, and hook it up to a powered sub that I decide to buy?
The general rule is to stay away from proprietary wiring. The main reason for that is you can't upgrade speakers or subwoofer, and if the receiver breaks you have to throw away the speakers. The secondary reason is it usually means the system is under-powered, usually using 4 ohm speakers. To answer your question, you could wire the sub into a powered sub, but then you'd be amplifying the signal twice (that system uses a passive sub, which means the receiver is powering it). Dual amplification tends to distort the audio signal.
3) I wanted a Blu-ray player and a new system. For the money is it decent for a bedroom?
I would not recommend that system. Here are two much better systems, both have powered subs and standard receivers (so you can upgrade/replace either the speakers or the receiver separately later. http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-YHT-397-5-1-Channel-Theater-System/dp/B007PU2X76/ref=sr_1_16?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1357293205&sr=1-16&keywords=htib+systems http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-HT-S5400-7-1-Channel-Theater-System/dp/B004O0TREC/ref=sr_1_28?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1357293262&sr=1-28&keywords=htib+systems The Onkyo is the default answer in your situation. I happen to like Yamaha better. If you are looking to save money and go with a passive sub (not recommended, but not horrible for a bedroom system), there's this system: http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-HT-S3500-5-1-Channel-Theater-Receiver/dp/B0077V88V8/ref=sr_1_14?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1357293205&sr=1-14&keywords=htib+systems

sx4dude2013

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brian
Wow. Well im gonna return this system. I cant find me receipt so wish me luck! lol

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
PLEASE, next time ask BEFORE you buy. Walmart is pretty good about returning things without a receipt. BUT it's probably going to be an in-store credit.

sx4dude2013

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brian
Haha. I work here so an associate looked up my receipt. I got cash :) Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks