What's new

SONY PICTURES PRESS RELEASE: Georgy Girl (1 Viewer)

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Lynn Redgrave, James Mason and Alan Bates in Frank, Funny Look at the Sexual Revolution

GEORGY GIRL

The Wildest Thing to Hit the World Since the Mini-Skirt!

Available on DVD July 5, 2005

As one of the first films to deal with the sexual revolution, GEORGY GIRL, released theatrically in 1966, became a groundbreaking, worldwide sensation for its examination of life in "swinging sixties" London. Starring Oscar® -winner James Mason (Lord Jim, A Star is Born), Alan Bates (The Fixer, Gosford Park), Charlotte Rampling (Stardust Memories, The Statement) and featuring the film debut of Lynn Redgrave (Kinsey, Gods and Monsters). GEORGY GIRL garnered four Academy Award® nominations (Best Actor, James Mason; Best Actress, Lynn Redgrave; Best Cinematography, Black & White; Best Original Song, "Georgy Girl"). It also led the forefront of a wave of European films that broke into American theaters for the first time. On July 5, 2005, Sony Pictures Home Entertainment will release the influential GEORGY GIRL on DVD at $24.96 SLP.

Synopsis
Lynn Redgrave garnered international attention in her role as a girl named Georgy, who marries a wealthy older man so that she can give her roommate's abandoned, illegitimate baby, whom she loves, a home. Earning four Oscar® nominations, the title song was a hit on two continents for the singing group The Seekers.

DVD SPECIAL FEATURES INCLUDE:
  • Digitally Mastered Audio and Anamorphic Video 1.78
  • Audio: English
  • Subtitles: English, Japanese
  • Bonus Previews
  • Scene Selections
Year of Theatrical Release: 1966
Rated: Not Rated
Black & White / Closed Captioned
Running Time: 99 Minutes
DVD SLP: $24.96

ArthurMy

Supporting Actor
Well, you couldn't complain about anamorphic, so there had to be something. :D ;) :) :b

Now all the worry-warts can rest easy about the aspect ratio, and just limit the complaining to the price. Excellent! :D

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
You're right Arthur. Just to let you know, the main purpose of my life is to complain as much as I can about Columbia.

and look, my post doesn't contain any smilies!

ArthurMy

Supporting Actor
Well, since in the other Georgy Girl thread you said "I'll wait until I see the specs" and since the specs gave you nothing to complain about, then the price is all that's left (the price for a barebones release). But, thank you for admitting that you do like to criticize Columbia - I assume if your comment was meant as humor you would have, as I did, included smileys.

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
If Columbia would release all their catalog DVDs OAR and at reasonable prices (like every other studio), I wouldn't complain. Those are the only 2 problems I ever complain about in regards to them.

Sorry, that I can't view them in such a positive light as you, Ive been angered by their decisions too many times.

If you get so upset about the complaints aimed at Columbia, why don't you ignore them? You seem to always fire back at whoever makes a complaint about them, I would think you would get tired of doing so by now.

Simon Howson

Screenwriter
I also think Columbia's Region 1 prices are high. I can't comment about in department stores, but online there doesn't seem to be as much discounting on old titles as what is seen by other studios.

Fortunately for me, Columbia are slowly releasing more older titles in Australia, and at a much cheaper pricing structure.

For example Wrong Is Right (1982) is pretty hard to find under AUD$20 for the Candian or U.S. version. However, 15 months after its R1 release it is set to be released in Australia for AUD$10 RRP.

It is hard to find Mr Smith Goes To Washington cheaper online than AUD$25 for the R1. The Australian copy is listed as having all the same extras but will be RRP AUD$15. Probably $1 - $2 cheaper at the best DVD stores when first released.

Same can be said for Columbia Classics titles like Lady From Shanghai and His Girl Friday.

So although the Australian Columbia release schedule is about 12 months behind the U.S. it seems Sony have a much better pricing structure in Australia, which is strange - usually the opposite is the case.

RyanZ

Stunt Coordinator
Is this an example of Grover Crisp's "improvements" with the Columbia DVD catalog?

Who would ever pay such an exorbitant price for a barebones release that likely won't impress anyone? I'm sticking to my VHS copy I taped from TCM.

ArthurMy

Supporting Actor
Oh, I see - every other studio releases their discs in OAR and at cheap prices. While the latter may be truer for most studios, the former is certainly not true for all studios. MGM/UA frequently releases DVDs not in their OAR, and other studios have routinely done so, too, like Universal. So, I just get weary when people single out Columbia as if they were the only ones doing it.

And then there's "a release that likely won't impress anyone?"

How do you know, Mr. Z. that it won't impress anyone. I've been very impressed with most of Columbia's output of their catalog titles - some of the best transfers I own. I can't imagine why Georgy Girl would be any less. And, you know, I'm sure I'll find the DVD for about seventeen bucks and, since I happen to love the film, seventeen bucks is a pittance, but then, you know, I'm not one of these neo everything needs to be ten bucks or I'm up in arms people. I remember laserdisc, you see, so I still appreciate anything that's under twenty bucks.

RyanZ

Stunt Coordinator
Mr. M.,

I happen to think that there is more to a DVD than an anamorphic transfer. In comparison to Warners and 20th, Columbia has historically not released good DVD's. When I look for a DVD, I want a clean anamorphic transfer, clean audio, and a couple of extras. Maybe this is asking too much, but to many studios it isn't, and that is why I patronize their products. In my opinion, this DVD is not worth the $17 it will probably sell for. In conclusion, Mr. M., I do not appreciate the poor quality of many of Columbia's catalog releases. If you like their mediocrity and high prices, then all the power to you. However, we are all entitled to our own opinions, even when they may clash with yours.

ArthurMy

Supporting Actor
You are certainly welcome to your opinion about "the poor quality of many of Columbia's catalog releases". And I am certainly welcome to disagree with your assessment as strongly as I care to, which I do. Democracy is a wonderful thing.

Please name some Columbia anamorphic titles that you deem not clean, along with some Columbia audio that you deem not clean. Just interested in what you consider bad work.

I consider Bonjour Tristesse, Requiem for a Heavyweight, 3:10 to Yuma, Bunny Lake is Missing, Jubal, all superior anamorphic transfers with excellent sound, to name but a few.

RyanZ

Stunt Coordinator
I have not been impressed with many classic catalog releases, including:

Divorce, American Style
Annie
The Awful Truth
Butterflies are Free
Dead Reckoning
The Gene Krupa Story
Lord Jim
Mr. Deeds Goes to Town
Ship of Fools
The Talk of the Town
You'll Never Get Rich
... and I'm sure I have missed some others

I stand by my assertion that Columbia produces medioce DVD's, and that is why I complain. That is not to say that other studios, like MGM and Universal do any better. But this is a Columbia thread, and that is why my griping is focused on Columbia. Georgy Girl deserved better. Just a couple of weeks ago, Columbia released an excellent DVD of The Professionals, it's second biggest moneymaker for 1966. Now, weeks later, they give a carefree, barebones release for their third biggest moneymaker of 1966. As you have reminded us all, Columbia does release some superior DVD's, but it is ridiculous that so many are released with so little care.

ArthurMy

Supporting Actor
Of your list, I believe only three are anamorphic transfers, which is what we were discussing. I thought The Gene Krupa Story looked terrific - what is your problem with it? And what is your problem with Lord Jim's transfer?

You get no argument from me when they make stupid decisions, like full-frame Annie and Divorce American Style or Ship of Fools. Several others on your list don't have bad transfers, they have less than wonderful elements due to a huge flood that lost Columbia many of its original negative materials. One has recently seen the result of such things on the Captain Blood DVD from Warners - it's less wonderful than The Sea Hawk, because the elements aren't as good - I'd put Captain Blood's transfer on a par with anything on your Columbia list.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

I think that's a cheap shot since Mr. Crisp's duties involved the restoration process of Columbia's classic titles and not the pricing of their dvds nor what supplements are on a dvd release.

In closing, we have 3-4 studios leading the pack when it comes to consistent quality and competitive dvd pricing while the other 3 studios are generally following behind the other studios. Hopefully, the studios holding up the rear can continue to improve their performance and thus, make it better for them as well as their dvd consumers.

Crawdaddy

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
What Simon says about Australian prices also applies in the UK - I've picked up a few discs (Blonde Bombshell, Holiday, and some 'R2s only' Night of the Generals, Cockleshell Heroes) for £4.99 (around $9.50 USD), and I've preordered Georgy Girl for the same money.

I'm not altogether unhappy with my classic Columbia acquisitions (Platinum Blonde could look a whole lot better, but I haven't a clue what they had to work with), but their recent treatment of The Professionals and the lip-smacking prospect of Major Dundee - which I've said before is an astonishing project for any studio to undertake - makes me think things are looking up at Columbia.

EDITED - to correct title error - d'oh!

Jay E

Senior HTF Member

I was referring only to the prices on catalog titles and not OAR. MGM & Universal have also released their fair share of full screen titles, however Columbia is the only major studio still charging $25 for barebones catalog titles.

And what especially upset me about Georgy Girl was the fact that Columbia has raised their prices again on catalog titles after a few months of more reasonable prices. I thought things were changing on that front.

RyanZ

Stunt Coordinator
ArthurMy, you really seem to be looking for a fight on this topic, and I'm not going to give you one. You know how I feel about Columbia, and it won't change unless they change.

RyanZ

Stunt Coordinator

Robert, I apologize. I thought that Crisp did more than just the restorations, so I was mistaken. I did not mean to make a cheap shot at him at all.

ArthurMy

Supporting Actor
Nope, not looking for a fight at all. You may feel about Columbia however you wish. And while I shan't defend their pricing practices, I most certainly will continue to defend the bulk of their transfers.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Interesting arguments, but I want to address the list of titles that Ryan brought up.

All of those titles are at least 6 months old. The older Columbia catalog titles that I've seen since I've been reviewing them (as of last November) have all been of at least decent quality. The only Sony MAR releases I can think of in that time are Return To The Blue Lagoon and the Look Who's Talking set, which was just a repackaging of old releases.

On the other hand, their pricing, as I mentioned in another thread, seems to be all over the place. My guess is that they're testing a bunch of different price points.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks