What's new

Sony or Toshiba 36" (1 Viewer)

Dave Borgman

Agent
Hi all,

I am going to buy a new TV this week. I have done alot of thinking and pricing. I live in an apartment with a viewing distance of about 8 feet. My main viewing is analog cable and 2 or 3 DVD's per week. Can't get satellite. I have had a Toshiba 35" for about 10 years and the color and brightness controls seem to be going a bit.
I have decided the replacement will be either a Toshiba 36AF42 for 899. Or a Sony KV-36FS100 for 999 (maybe cheaper since a friend of mine is a sales manager at Circuit City, shame they don't sell Toshiba).
You all may say spend the extra 600 or so dollars for HDTV. Well that would be fine but then I would not be able to get a stand (my 10 year old Toshiba had the stand integrated in). I want to get an extended in home warranty since these sets are such beasts to move around. And I want to get a set top DVD burner to replace the VHS.
I was even thinking about a non flat screen 36" for around 650, but everyone I know that has one swears by the flat screen.
If I go to my buddy at CC and can get the Sony+ the 200 dollar stand, + the in home extended warranty for say 1200, the decision may be made right there.
Any and all comments would be appreciated.

Thanks
Dave

John-Miles

Screenwriter
I find the Toshiba's ahve better greyscale out of the box than the sony's (if you are going to get it ISF'd thenits a moot point) and toshiba is usually significantly cheaper than sony.

David Lorenzo

Stunt Coordinator
John's right. Toshiba's greyscale is much better OTB. This is probably important for you since you likely won't get a $200-300 calibration done right?

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
What's more important, getting a stand or getting superior picture quality and buying into the technology of the future? When spending a grand on a television, you should consider getting an ATSC-capable set.

Dave Borgman

Agent
Jack,

When you say ATSC, I'm assuming you mean HDTV? Will a HDTV capable unit make my standard cable look better? To get a HDTV set whether it be DV or RP by the time I am done with a stand and extended warranty I am looking at 2000. The Toshiba (36 inch flat screen)with a stand and extended warranty is around 1100. I've been told HDTV sets will look horrific with standard cable. If your telling me that an HDTV set will enhance my viewing pleasure that much when I have standard cable I guess I'll have to reconsider.

Thanks
Dave

John-Miles

Screenwriter
I have the toshiba 36HFX71 HDTV and it is definitely an enhancement for cable, i found the sony was not nearly as good.

Dave Molinarolo

Stunt Coordinator
Well, we have not one but two Sony Flatscreens in our house. One is a 32" (mine) and the other is a 36" (living room). I don't know about the Toshiba models, but the Sony's have 16:9 Enchanced Mode which greatly enhance (obviously) 16:9 anamorphic DVD titles.

We're running DISH Network through both of them using the S-video connection and the picture looks pretty good. The Flatscreen really brings out the differences in quality of the cameras used in each broadcast and even within the same program suc as news broadcasts during splitscreen shots.

I have no idea how analog cable would look on them, but I wil tell you this, VHS looked like shit. I never had the patience to watch a VHS program on it once I got it. I quickly disconnected my VCR and I'm now all DVD-digital if you know what I mean.

David Lorenzo

Stunt Coordinator
Dave,

The only set that would enhance analog signals would be the Toshiba, but even then it wouldn't be that big of an improvement. It makes the scan lines disappear and that's about it. You would get a huge improvement on anamorphic DVD's and of course you would be able to watch high def material.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks