What's new

Sony Officially Announces The PS4 To Arrive Q4 2013 (1 Viewer)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Bunch of Warframe bonuses if you pre-order this free game (I know, I know):http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/11/07/warframe-ps4-pre-order-bonuses-detailed/you can use your PS3 or the web link.If you are PS+ you get Resogun for free, here's what it looks like:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IG2_choRkkgI hadn't heard of Super Motherload, interesting:http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/11/08/super-motherload-on-ps4-exploring-the-story-and-game-modes/I definitely plan on playing a bit of DCUO on Day One for free, FAQ for that:http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/11/06/dc-universe-online-on-ps4-your-questions-answered/

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Sam Posten said:
Also, while the breakdown removes the hard disk after the seals are broken I am told it is actually much easier to do it, same as on PS3. Remove a cover and it's exposed for easy replacement.

Yep. I'm eagerly planning on replacing my PS4's 500Gb with a 1TB SHSD right off the bat.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I'm hesitant to replace the HDD right away for a couple reasons. First, you can delete the cached data that each game "installs" and most games will recache the data if you play the game again. Second, the PlayRoom stuff is installed on the HDD and they said you don't reinstall that onto a new HDD from the PSN, so I have no idea how to get it back. Even though they say you can reinstall it somehow.

I think 500 GB will probably be fine for a long time. I don't play more than 1 or 2 games at a time, so I won't run out of space or need all of it often.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
mattCR said:
Yep. I'm eagerly planning on replacing my PS4's 500Gb with a 1TB SHSD right off the bat.
Pardon my ignorance, I'm unfamiliar with the term SHSD - what kind of drive is this? Thanks!

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Hybrid Solid State. 16/32Gb SSD+1Tb standard drive for improved performance.

Morgan Jolley said:
I'm hesitant to replace the HDD right away for a couple reasons. First, you can delete the cached data that each game "installs" and most games will recache the data if you play the game again. Second, the PlayRoom stuff is installed on the HDD and they said you don't reinstall that onto a new HDD from the PSN, so I have no idea how to get it back. Even though they say you can reinstall it somehow.

I think 500 GB will probably be fine for a long time. I don't play more than 1 or 2 games at a time, so I won't run out of space or need all of it often.
The first reason is an 'eh', if I start with a larger drive, I'm fine. The second one I don't quite get: PlayRoom stuff? Am I missing something?

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Pretty impressive list of free stuff at launch when you think about it, via NEOGAF.
Free $10 credit for PlayStation StoreFree 30-day PlayStation Plus membership trialFree 30-day Music Unlimited service trialFree to play Warframe, Blacklight Retribution, War Thunder & DCU OnlineFree Resogun & Contrast and more games every month with PS PlusFree PS4 upgrades if you own Flower, Flow, Sound Shapes etc.Free Knack puzzle game on iOS and AndroidFree multiplayer map packs in Killzone Shadow FallFree in-game credit for preordering free Warframe
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=711715

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
mattCR said:
Hybrid Solid State. 16/32Gb SSD+1Tb standard drive for improved performance.
Ah I didn't realize there was an acronym for that :)

One question: I remember when hybrid drives came out the main benefit was derived if the OS were installed on the SSD portion and the rest of the programs and media were on the traditional portion. Do you know if replacing the HD would yield the same benefit on the PS4 (meaning that the OS would be put on the SSD portion)?

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Carlo Medina said:
Ah I didn't realize there was an acronym for that :)

One question: I remember when hybrid drives came out the main benefit was derived if the OS were installed on the SSD portion and the rest of the programs and media were on the traditional portion. Do you know if replacing the HD would yield the same benefit on the PS4 (meaning that the OS would be put on the SSD portion)?
This isn't how it works.. actually, in a dive mechanism like they ship, the SSD 'portion' isn't visible at all, it just acts as a significant drive cache, so that all files on the drive are sped up. It's faster then a regular drive, not as fast as an SSD, but it tends to work out quite well for 2.5" drives that need size.

This is an example of that: http://techreport.com/review/25425/seagate-desktop-sshd-2tb-hybrid-drive-reviewed

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
mattCR - PlayRoom is a free game that is on the PS4 HDD and its pretty much a bunch of minigames that highlight the PS4's new features. It's not anything like Killzone in size or scope at all but its still a freebie that I'd rather have for at least a little while, until I know how I could get it back.

How long would it realistically take someone to max out 500 GB? I mean, assume that 50 GB is already taken up (which is probably a rather large estimate) and that each game uses around 40 GB, then you're talking about 11 retail games. (Indie games take up less, I'm sure.) I will be more than happy to just delete old game cache data and hold out for now. HDDs are only getting cheaper.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
So who got in on the Amazon and Target B2G1 today? I got Killzone, Knack and Lego Marvel headed my way on disk, and I'm getting Ghosts and Assassins Creed 4 via digital "upgrade" which nets me the title for both my PS3 and for the Ps4 to hit friday. 5 games on launch day plus all the free goodies is going to be way to much for me to even scratch the surface on.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
As someone whose wallet spends the holiday season crying, I'm going to look forward to your reviews on the next-gen gaming world Sam. I'll be in the market in early 2014. Of course I said the same thing about the PS3 (that I'd buy it 3-6 months after release date) only to purchase it the following week after it streeted. :D

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I received Knack and AC4 for PS4 today with an extra controller. Killzone is coming with the console on Friday.

I had a PS4 preorder through Amazon and got the B1G1 offer. With $85 in Chase Rewards points, ended up paying $110 (Prime shipping, after tax) for 2 games, controller, and camera. Total so far is $650 for the console, controller, camera, 1 yr PS+, and 3 games, all shipped to my door.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Via Q23 poster Wendellius. OUCH on Knack!
EG's PS4 reviews are up:The hardwareKillzone - 7/10Knack - 4/10 (Ouch!)Resogun - 8/10And the Polygon reviews with a video review as well for each:The hardwareKillzone - 5/10Knack - 6/10Resogun 8.5/10

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Killzone seems to be more Killzone, Knack is exactly what its been looking like since February, and so on for everything. No surprises.

That said, they announced CD/MP3/DLNA support is coming in a future firmware update.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Pretty cool. Seems like it would be a really fun party icebreaker type of game. Usually it takes developers 12-24 months to really start optimizing for new systems, so I can't imagine what games for PS4 and Xbone are going to look like in 2015!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks