What's new

Sony Officially Announces The PS4 To Arrive Q4 2013 (1 Viewer)

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
It's looking to be a boxy PS3 Lite/Slim. Also, the horizontal blue beam at the end of the teaser probably means there will be a long horizontal blue light on the console. I'm curious as to whether it will be cool or ugly retro.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I'm wondering what the disk load mechanism will be. I like the trayless slider best, I have the latest cheapo PS3 which has no mechanization, its a roll off top, and hate that.

Seems like such a dumb little thing but it's an important detail. I'll never ever ever load a game via disk, I am all digital, but I still expect to watch BluRays on this device.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
That I wouldn't mind. When our original Wii died, I think we lost a disc inside (fortunately, I think it was Transformers, which we'd already finished).

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
My interest in this has waned after seeing the cool XBox1 thing. My main concern is that I can stand it up like my PS3 since I have it crammed next to a record player in my rack.

Dumbest thing to base a buying decision on yet, I know. :P

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I know that anecdote =/ data, but I will say that over the decades, in my experience that tray loaders have proven more reliable to me than slot loaders. But many of the early slot loader failures were from machines made in the 90s. I think any slot loader made now should be as reliable as tray loaders.

Aaron - were you not able to take a screwdriver to the Wii to get your disc out? I've never tried to open a Wii but I know in an old PC with a slot load drive when the mechanism failed I removed the drive from the PC, opened the drive, and manually removed the disc.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Not sure. . .I don't remember why I didn't try. I think I might've not realized that there might be a disc inside until after I traded it in (GameStop will take broken systems at a surprisingly reasonable discount).

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
OK, back to non E3 PS4 discussion. Good to know:
Dear Amazon.com Customer,

Thank you for pre-ordering the PlayStation 4. Yesterday we made a change to the name of the product by adding "Launch" and "Standard" editions, which may have caused confusion for some of our customers.

We are writing to confirm that you ordered the "Launch Edition," which is Release-Day Delivery eligible. All other aspects of the two editions are identical.

You do not need to take any action or make any changes to your current order.

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
And now it's sold out for that model. I really hope the PS4 is a huge hit - big enough to force Microsoft and publishers to reevaluate their policy on DRM. Sadly- they keep using Steam and the PC model as an example, but it doesn't hold up. Steam's average price and deals are FAR better than any pricing we'll see on the Xbone...

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Sam-
If it helps, the "Launch" and "Standard" are the exact same unit. Launch just guarantees that you get it on Day 1 of release. "Standard" is in their normal release method. So, no difference.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
They have shown a picture, look at the official UK site, it's there for all to see.

http://uk.playstation.com/ps4/

:EDIT: I think i'm late to post, didn't notice this thread was started in February before images came out. :lol:

PS4_09.jpg

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Matt: Yep my "Good to know" was in referencing that I got my order in on time for a day 1 delivery. I should, I was refreshing Amazon like mad the second the price was official and I didn't stop until the order page was live. I got in within the first 30 seconds =)

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
None of that has been announced, Dave. Most likely mid-to-late November, around black Friday, for both PS4 and XBOne. As for reviews, that will probably be around then, too. If the games are amazing then the review embargo might be earlier, but if they suck it might be the day of or day before launch.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
So the crux of that video was....."we created an architecture for PS3 so far ahead of its time that only 10 people at SONY actually understood how to use it"? He makes it sound like the PS4 architecture is actually a downgrade from the PS3 technically, but much easier for third party developers to understand and program for?

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
It's about tradeoffs. I'll take 9 million developers being able to get a super box at 100% of its potential over 100 developers maybe eaking out 100% of the potential of a super super box any day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks