What's new

Sony Licenses Three Stooges Features to Mill Creek (1 Viewer)

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
JoeDoakes said:
I feel for you people in Canada. For some reason, it's easier for me to order from the UK than it is for Canadians to order from the U.S.

??? It's currently in stock on amazon.ca for $10.78 canadian.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Russell G said:
??? It's currently in stock on amazon.ca for $10.78 canadian.
That's right, but Canadian Amazon also pulled the stunt of pushing back the release date to March 4 five days AFTER the original February 4 issue date (That U.S. Amazon stuck to, by the way!)! This caused me to switch my "Stooges" order to U.S. Amazon, as I no longer had confidence in Canadian Amazon regarding this particular item's availability! Also, the Shirley Temple 20th Century Fox 18 Movie Set that's been available on U.S. Amazon since 2009 is just finally getting released on Canadian Amazon this month!

Higher prices and delayed releases (Above and beyond the norm in the U.S.) are just a couple of the typical crappy things we Canucks have to sometimes put up with!

CHEERS!

Tony

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Hasslein said:
Wal Mart has this in their $5 dump bin.
This is what happens to old releases and markedly flawed new ones!

Given Mill Creek Entertainment's reported successes with other sub-licensed titles, I was frankly unpleasantly surprised to find any shoddiness regarding some of the Digital Transfers, especially that of THE OUTLAWS IS COMING, which in my view is a Train wreck. Concerning this Feature, I will state that repeatedly without any hesitation!

While I concede that THE THREE STOOGES 6 MOVIE SET as a whole is worth its currently low price point, the results are nevertheless, somewhat of a disappointment!

CHEERS!

Tony

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
JoeDoakes said:
I'll buy it at $5 for Time Out for Rhythm. I have the other titles anyway.
I agree with you that TIME OUT FOR RHYTHM is worth the $5 price tag, despite the two quick glitches that occur in the Film's first four and a half minutes! :rolleyes:

THE OUTLAWS IS COMING on the other hand... :angry:

CHEERS! :)

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
I have ordered the Sony DVD version of THE OUTLAWS IS COMING, a move which I believe to be consistent with my negative, but in my opinion, fair review of it's Mill Creek Entertainment counterpart!

For "Stoogephiles" who wish to have a copy of this, the final Three Stooges Theatrical Feature, I highly recommend purchasing the Sony DVD a.s.a.p, before it goes out of print, and its pricing becomes outrageous! Given this DVD's late 2002 issue, I'm frankly quite surprised that this hasn't already happened; lucky for me!

CHEERS!

Tony

P.S. THE OUTLAWS IS COMING'S Mill Creek Entertainment Transfer is Utter Crap!

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
Too bad Columbia didn't see fit to finish the job with the Stooges by releasing a complete feature film collection. (I don't know if they could have licensed Snow White though). They put out everything else in box sets chronolgically , so you wonder why they passed the features off to Mill Creek.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
LouA said:
Too bad Columbia didn't see fit to finish the job with the Stooges by releasing a complete feature film collection. (I don't know if they could have licensed Snow White though). They put out everything else in box sets chronolgically , so you wonder why they passed the features off to Mill Creek.
Hi Lou!

Sony/Columbia actually have released pretty much all "Stooges" material that they have the rights to. Notable exceptions are their appearances in the following:
THE CAPTAIN HATES THE SEA, a 1934 Feature starring Victor McLaglen (Available on DVD-R by SPE.)
START CHEERING, a 1938 Feature starring Jimmy Durante (Not Available on Home Video.)

The six Features on the Mill Creek set are merely reissues of earlier Sony standalone DVD releases. As you already suspect, I don't believe Sony could have licensed SNOW WHITE AND THE THREE STOOGES as that was, and is owned by 20th Century Fox, who released it to DVD in 2005.

Some other Titles featuring the Three Stooges that are not owned by Sony/Columbia:
Anything released before May 1934, and all Feature Film appearances up to June 1934.
SWING PARADE OF 1946 (Monogram; issued to DVD by Legend Films and many Public Domain Concerns.)
GOLD RAIDERS (1951) (Jack Schwartz Productions; available on DVD by Warner Home Video, along with the 1933 MGM Feature with Ted Healy, entitled MEET THE BARON, starring Jack Pearl and Jimmy Durante.)

CHEERS!

Tony

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
On May 20, Mill Creek Entertainment is releasing a Collector's Tin packaged version of their 2 DVD Three Stooges 6 Movie Set. This is being advertised by Amazon, and by Mill Creek themselves.

It appears to me that Mill Creek has realized that they somewhat blew it with the digital transfers (Especially with THE OUTLAWS IS COMING!) and at this point are trying anything to sell a few extra copies of this set.

In my opinion, it would be far better money spent for Mill Creek to do a digital re-scan of the Glitchy transfers, and make this a 3 DVD Set.

CHEERS!

Tony

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
I've now viewed THE OUTLAWS IS COMING Sony DVD Transfer, and I can honestly say that despite the very minutely marginal Top/Bottom Image Cropping, this is much better than its glitchy/over-encoded Mill Creek Entertainment counterpart! It's not even close!

As I've previously stated, for those whom THE OUTLAWS IS COMING is the only reason for buying the Mill Creek Entertainment 6 Movie Set (IE. For those who already own the other five "Stooges" Titles!), I strongly recommend purchasing the standalone Sony DVD instead!

CHEERS!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks