What's new

Sony KP-53HS30: Settings changed in service menu, now no picture! Need help. (1 Viewer)

bloomcounty

Auditioning
Real Name
Jack
Hi,

I've got a Sony KP-53HS30 rear projection big screen tv and I accidentally messed things up and desperately need some help! :eek:

I went into the service menu in an attempt to adjust the overscanning because subtitles were getting cut off, and not knowing exactly which settings were for overscanning, I just went through then all and tried each one, and if it wasn't what I was looking for, I simply set it back to the original setting.

However, it all went terribly wrong when I came across some setting that, by changing it, I lost all picture on the set. I can hear the sound just fine now, but there is no longer any picture at all. The only thing I can see is if I press the auto convergence button, I can see it doing its thing. But that's it. No picture otherwise, even if I try to go back into the service menu (which I can do that bit by memory), nothing shows up on the screen.

What I *think* I've done is accidentally told the TV that it's a different model than what it really is. The instruction manual lists four other models othat than mine: KP-43HT20, KP-53HS20, KP-61HS20, & KP-61HS30. So I'm thinking perhaps the set now thinks it's one of these (?). So even if I were able to "reset" the whole thing to the factory settings, I'm thinking it'll just reset to the new model that it thinks it is...

So that's my theory. I guess it could be something else that got screwed up. Either way, I'm totally at a loss and could use some help! :confused:

Of course, I realize I shouldn't have tackled it this way -- and any help is very much appreciated. I can't afford the hefty price tag to have a tech come out to fix the problem (and I'm guessing/hoping it's probably just a matter of pressing the correct buttons, etc.).

Any thoughts? Thanks very much! :)

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
so you hit the save button after making the change? you should have just turned the set off and then it would not have saved and you would be back at square one.

so now you cant even see the service menu items?

If you can see the service menu items, get the service manual and start putting the parameters back to default.

Best of luck

Gregg

bloomcounty

Auditioning
Real Name
Jack
Thanks for the post...

I'm actually posting this for a friend, but I believe he said he can not see the service menus either. The only thing he can see is the auto convergence when he hits that button.

I didn't think he hit save after doing that, but I guess he must have...?

He's not considering another tv... they're have a huge family and a small income and can't afford it -- which is also why they can't afford the big bill for someone to come out to take a look. So any other suggestion on how to fix that anyone may have would be greatly appreciated! Thanks again!

Steve Berger

Supporting Actor
First, try the unplug AC; wait 5 minutes; plug back in; try again method. Obviously, if the service menu comes back up when entered, then use Gregg's method. Also try connecting devices to the various inputs including the "Component" inputs (Red, Blue, Green). A DVD player might have these or as a last resort connect a yellow (composite) cable to the Green connector.

Second [Danger mode]: turn set off; enter code to go into service menu (TV should turn on with no picture); press "8" then "enter" [/Danger Mode] This resets TV to last saved mode. Probably won't work but worth trying.

Third [Danger Will Robinson Mode] Same as the above but with "7" instead of "8" [/Danger Will Robinson Mode]. The manual says to Never do this because it puts the set back into pre factory setup and it will really mess things up, possibly beyond recovery. You would want to be armed with Every possible data value written down. You would probably need to visit the AVS forum thread on "Sony Service Codes" because many, if not, most of the settings are undocumented by the Factory in the service manual.

An absolute last ditch method does require a servicer to install new eeproms (hopefully from a working circuit board) to get the TV into a visible position to allow completion of setup.

bloomcounty

Auditioning
Real Name
Jack

What will this do?

Also, I know he's done the "8" thing a number of times, and it resets (turns off and back on, etc.) but still nothing. So it's resetting, most likely, to the model it thinks it is now... :frowning:

Steve Berger

Supporting Actor
Each of the input types follows a different path to the screen image through the digital and analog processing circuits. Service menu changes could affect some, but not all paths. He might also try the various Picture In Picture modes.

The "8" command is just going back to the previously saved, but incorrect, settings. It only would have worked if the changes were not saved. There are settings to some registers that don't have to be "saved". (despite documentation) I messed up the color in the PIP child image that way and had to compare good and bad data for about a hundred points before I found a discrepancy that fixed the problem.

desertracer954

Auditioning
Real Name
Matthew
Did this issue ever get resolved?? I have the same TV and it is doing exactly the same thing but I do not think anything was changed. I just turned it on and I had sound but no picture. Any help would be great.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks