What's new

Sony KDS-RxxXBR1 (1 Viewer)

MikeSh

Stunt Coordinator
I've pretty much decided on the Sony XBR1 50" set but because of the winged speakers it is a big problem. I have a solid oak cabinet that maxes out at 53.75" wide. I spent some time eyeballing this set at CC Wednesday and it looks like these side mounted speakers could be cut off. Although most likely voiding the warranty.

What I saw; The speakers are attached to the set at the top and bottom by a thin/small height piece of plastic which I assume contains the speaker wiring. The backside of the speakers are screwed to the front side.

My plan: Unscrew the backs and check out my assumption. Just speaker wire coming into the wings. If so using a fine saw cutting the plastic as close to the TV set as possible and then lightly sanding the edges. The sides of the TV won't be visible in normal use, blocked by the cabinet from view.

I'll use my a/v receiver for sound.

Anyone know why not to do this? Is it a really stupid idea? Other then butchering a 4,000 dollar piece of hardware?

Thanks,

MikeS.

Peter f

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Mike,

Nice display, i have the 60" version myself.

When shopping for my new display I had the same concerns you did, the winged speakers were to overhang way too much on my existing stand. I considered (although very briefly) what you are suggesting but decided to leave the TV alone and get a piece of furniture to match the TV and not "modify" the tv to the furniture. I ended up with a triple 20 Salamander which is almost exactly as long as my SXRD...so in your case you should be able to find something to fit easily with the 50" display, which i believe is 58 or 57" long overall. The salamander line is nice and can be modified in the future to fit just about any display...but they are a bit pricey.

In my opinion, cutting off the speakers would be a big mistake...but in the end..its up to you

Richard Travale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Travale
I agree with Peter. I would rather spend the money and get a new cabinet rather than cut up the display.But again, it's completely up to you.

On a side note, and forgive me for kind of hijacking the thread, but does this set accept 1080p signals like the blu-ray?

Peter f

Stunt Coordinator
Yes, the KDS-50XBR1 and 60 XBR1 SXRD are 1080P displays

could not be happier with mine so far...

John S

Senior HTF Member
There are other dispplays out there. If it is so important to keep the furniture, I'd surely suggest a display that actually will fit it.

CarlosL

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Carlos
Careful here. The Sony WEGA XBRs only accept up up 1080i and then upconvert to 1080p. They do not accept direct 1080p signals, although nevertheless, I do love my 60" XBR. :)

MikeSh

Stunt Coordinator
I'm not going to get rid of my cabinet, it is solid oak, not veneer. It cost almost 3k back in 1992. Back then a 50" TV was HUGE. I had been thinking about a Samsung DLP in 1080p, the 56" model there will fit, barely.

This was until I looked at the 2 sets side x side at CC last week. Now I'm sold on the Sony except for the speakers.

I do know a good cabinet maker though, maybe I can get the cabinet modified into a pier & bridge setup instead of a solid unit...

Thanks people,

Mike

MikeSh

Stunt Coordinator
I was at the local Costco Monday night and noticed that they are starting to carry Sony TVs. None of these models yet but I'm hoping that may change fairly soon. I'll also be checking their website. With Costco's great return policy and their prices they are hard to beat.

MikeS.

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
I did that with an older 20 inch model and it worked fine but thats a nice TV to cut up.

Why don't you look for a broken (destroyed?) set that you could switch backs.Call a few repair shops etc and see if any unrepairable sets have a back you could use
Put the new back in storage until you need or sell it

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks