What's new

Sony KDL48W600B Vs. LG 50PB6600 (1 Viewer)

Real Name
Will
Hello All,

I am a gamer that is in the market for a TV to hook up to my PC that has very low input lag. I recently bought the Sony KDL48W600B and it is absolutely wonderful as far as responsiveness goes. I seem to be able to pull off moves in Super Street Fighter IV better than ever. This TV is branded as part of Sony's "Gaming" series so it is no surprise. I only have two problems with this TV. One is that there is some minor flashlighting happening in the bottom corners on pitch black screens. The second is that, during play on dark screens, the backgrounds of the game worlds are kind of purple or greyed out. This is when a game is during "night" like in Elder Scrolls Online. I ran the game side by side with my Asus 27" monitor with the screens cloned and it looked much better in this regard on my Asus (although everything else about the picture looked better on the Sony KDL48W600B. I am wondering if I should replace the Sony with the same model and hope for better screen uniformity with my next set or if I should instead exchange it for LG's 50PB6600 Plasma set. I cannot find anything, after much searching, on the input lag time of the LG (or the Sony for that matter). I figure it would have a better picture because it is Plasma, though. What do you all think? Do you think the LG will perform well in games? I would be getting an extra 2" screen size too.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Real Name
Will
Hi schan1269,

Do you think I should just take a blind leap of faith for the LG in regards to input lag though? I know some LG's go above average or 'acceptable' levels of input delay. I can't find anything on this set as it is brand new to market.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Why not buy a 50" LG plasma for less money?There are no, as in zero, LCD with the response time of plasma. None.Much better black detail.The only issue with plasma, You have to give it a break from gaming. The first 50 hrs, game less than 1/4(leave it on when not home...on a "non-ticker" station). The next 100 hrs, 1/2.After 150...do pretty much what you want.

Real Name
Will
schan1269 said:
Why not buy a 50" LG plasma for less money?There are no, as in zero, LCD with the response time of plasma. None.Much better black detail.The only issue with plasma, You have to give it a break from gaming. The first 50 hrs, game less than 1/4(leave it on when not home...on a "non-ticker" station). The next 100 hrs, 1/2.After 150...do pretty much what you want.
From what I've looked up LED's tend to actually have less input lag. The Sony I'm using now has 29ms input lag I just found out.. while a guy told me his 2013 LG had 75ms. I've been looking at the PN51F5300AFXZA, but displaylag.com lists it's input lag at 47ms which is a bit higher than I would like to go.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Weird, that Samsung is slow. Wonder what Samsung did to come up with the slowest plasma ever made.I've never seen an LG over 27hz...even without a game mode. Panny were 25-30 hz by default.

Real Name
Will
schan1269 said:
LED is the backlight of the LCD.Again, no LCD has the response time of plasma. Not even the Sharp Aquos game and LG game LC
Ya when I said LED I was merely meaning LCD. But I am talking about input lag and not just response time.

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
I want to ask AzurePaladin77 how the tv looks playing movies? I currently have the Sony KDL40EX400 from 2010 and love the look of the the tv screen but now want to get a bigger size Sony and have seen a few reviews of 600b and so far the responses have been good. I have no games so all i watch is movies and cable shows. Thanks!

Real Name
Will
atcolomb said:
I want to ask AzurePaladin77 how the tv looks playing movies? I currently have the Sony KDL40EX400 from 2010 and love the look of the the tv screen but now want to get a bigger size Sony and have seen a few reviews of 600b and so far the responses have been good. I have no games so all i watch is movies and cable shows. Thanks!
Hi atcolomb,

I just tried a couple movies for you. The picture is good and it seemed pretty standard. I still have it set for game mode, however. I have heard that with Motion Plus activated you get a blurry picture when objects and people transition from still to moving. I have it deactivated so it's not a problem for me, but it might be for you.

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
Thanks for the info...on my tv i have certain things turned off like Motion Plus so i hope when other websites review the tv they will display the calibration settings for best picture. Hope to see it on sale so i can buy it. Thanks Will

Real Name
Will
atcolomb said:
Thanks for the info...on my tv i have certain things turned off like Motion Plus so i hope when other websites review the tv they will display the calibration settings for best picture. Hope to see it on sale so i can buy it. Thanks Will
No problem.

Real Name
Will
I saw the Toshiba 50L2400U on Best Buy's website. Does anyone know if it has a decent contrast ratio/black levels and low input lag?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks