What's new

Sony HMZ-T1 Wearable 3D HDTV (Blu-ray 3D Crosstalk Free) (1 Viewer)

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
Available on or about 10/26/2011
Wearable HDTV | Personal 3D Viewer | HMZ-T1 | Sony
$799.99 - Now available for pre-order @ Sony USA:
Insanely immersive 3D Viewing Headset
The viewer can enjoy a more natural 3D video experience that is completely free of crosstalk since each eye has its own display. No filters to look through that will dim the light source of the 3D images.:cool:
Sony’s Personal 3D Viewer head-mounted display is the world’s first personal, wearable OLED HD/3D TV. The HMZ-T1 viewer has a unique form-factor that allows users to simply slip the device onto their head and immerse themselves in a virtual theater experience. Announced at IFA last week, the innovative device is designed to deliver an image that appears to be on a theater-size wide screen (750-inch virtual screen from 65 feet away), using miniature720p OLED screens developed by Sony. Displaying high-quality HD video with high contrast and fast refresh rates, the device is capable of enhanced 3D display. The viewer can enjoy a more natural 3D video experience that is completely free of crosstalk since each eye has its own display.
Leveraging Sony’s legacy in top-quality personal audio products, the HMZ-T1 head mount display also delivers virtual surround sound. Sony’s proprietary signal processing technology powers two integrated headphones which bring the equivalent of 5.1-channel sound to accompany the stunning visuals. Available in November, the HMZ-T1 head mount display will retail for about $799. Perfect for the cinema enthusiast or avid gamer, the innovative personal display lets viewers experience 2D or 3D content comfortably for hours on end.
Source
Paul

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Thanks for the info Paul. I am a big fan of 3D and have two sets, but I'm not sure how I feel about this. I can pretty much guarantee you that most of the people buying this aren't going to look as cool as the guy using it in the video! Here is a picture

87726993_HMZT1.png

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
Sony Personal 3D Viewer HMZ-T1 Specifications:
Display:
•Aspect Ratio : 16:09
•Display Device : OLED Panel x 2
•Display Resolution : 1280x720
•Field of View : 45 degree
•Gradation : RGB 24bit
•Virtual Image Size : 750 inches at 65 feet distance (effectively 150" at 12 feet)
Video Features:
•Picture Mode : Standard; Cinema; Dynamic; Custom
•Picture Settings : Clear Black; Picture; Brightness; Color temprature; Sharpness
•Picture control for dark adaptation : Yes
•Pure Image Realizer : Frame noise reduction; Block noise reduction; Mosquito noise reduction
•SBM for Video : Yes
Headphones:
•Driver Unit : Open air dinamic
•Frequency Response : 12-24,000Hz
•Impedance : 24?
•Maximum Input : 1,000mW (IEC)
•Sensitivity : 106dB/mW
Audio Features:
•Leaner PCM : 2/ 5.1
•Preset Audio Mode : Standard; Cinema; Game; Pure AV; Off (2ch)
•Virtual Surround : Yes (5.1)
Inputs and Outputs:
•HDMI Input(s) and Output(s) : 1 input(HDMI 1.4a)/1 through-output(HDMI 1.4a)
•HMD Output(s) : 1 output

Eric F

Screenwriter
This is interesting. As someone with a Sharp 60" LCD display without 3D I wouldn't mind picking this up for 3D movie viewing. What concerns me is the 720p resolution makes it sort of limited with non-3D sources.

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
The Sony HMZ-T1 owners Manual has finally been posted.
http://www.docs.sony.com/release/HMZT1_refguide.pdf
Paul

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
There are two problems. The resolution is 720p and there is no mention of the weight of that thing. Having that hanging off the front of your face for a 3 hour movie might be a little taxing on your neck muscles. Although, it would be tempting if the displays were 1080p. That will be next years model.

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
Edwin-S said:
There are two problems. The resolution is 720p and there is no mention of the weight of that thing. Having that hanging off the front of your face for a 3 hour movie might be a little taxing on your neck muscles. Although, it would be tempting if the displays were 1080p. That will be next years model.
Weight is distributed to the top and back of the head and shouldn't be a problem when adjusted and worn correctly. It should not touch the bridge of the nose.
Here is a YouTube clip of "How to use Sony Personal 3D Viewer Headset"
Here is a link to the Sony HMZ-T1 Startup Guide: http://www.docs.sony.com/reflib/docget.asp?manualid=1135599&template_id=&region_id=1&DL=',600,560,10,10,'Manuals
Paul

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
From a Sony U.S. Dealer on 11/04/11:
Today we received an email from Sony directed to ALL U.S. dealers informing us that demand for the HMZ-TI has far exceeded the Sony expectations (meaning that didn't or couldn't make enough) and despite previous statements to the contrary that all their third quarter (not a typo) production would be allocated to the Sony stores and none to Sony dealers. The email stated they were working with Japan Sony to make and ship more to the United States so that Sony dealers could have product to sell but they had no idea when Sony dealers would get product but of course as soon as had sufficient supply to fulfill demand at Sony stores they would notify us of product availability.

lvicious

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Lance G
Thank you Paul. I've personally always hoped somehow we could steer away from facial/head devices somehow. Great for 1-2 people maybe if you can deal with wearing that stuff. Just not how I want to spend my movie nights. Honestly, I laughed a lot when I saw this as it reminded me of a 1998 Cowboy Bebop anime episode titled Brain Scratch. Now if they could stream line it more like this:

8587db89_bebopbrainreader.jpeg

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
Posted the following on the Sony F 3D laptop owners thread in another forum and thought people may want to read how I describe the HMZ-T1 to others.
The only area where the HMZ T1 is superior to the F 3D is in the 3D-rendering realm.
It is the first consumer 720P high definition device to have native discrete-3D technology. The epitome of two distinct angled images going separately to each individual eye, rendering the real-life illusions of 3D. 100% of the light from each display goes to each eye because filtering is not necessary; it is the same as watching a 2D display. There is no crosstalk/ghosting artifacts caused by double images on a single display or by out-of-sync glasses. There is no flickering which allows for total 3D immersion. Authored 3D-depth is 100% achieved when connecting the unit to the F 3D (@ maximum settings), Blu-ray 3D player, and when viewing DirectTV 3D channels, when comparing it to a 65" Panasonic Viera 3D plasma.
For experiences of similar products rendering discrete-3D - think Viewmaster or the "Holmes type stereoscopes" of the 1800's..
The first-generation headset is not at all comfortable for short or long periods and seriously needs redesigning. Also, 1080P will be demanded (if technically possible) for the next model.
The F 3D from my experiences, beats the HMZ-T1 in quality picture and in every other aspect. Haven't experienced another consumer product that I have enjoyed better than the F 3D for 3D rendering with the [inferior when compared to discrete] active 3D technology.
Paul
FYI:
I love the discrete-3D technology (I'm a 3D Addict!) and will work with the headset until I can where it comfortably or break it (redesign what I have) just to view 3D Blu-rays with it to get my fix and to verify the actual 3D encode possibilities on a given disc. Hate it when reviewers give a movie a different (always higher) Video Quality rating to 2D versions when discrete-3D is just as good using the encode on the disc, and only needing the 3D-discrete technology to experience it!
Paul

Brian McP

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
I'm thinking of getting this headset, but not for the 3D movies or effects -- mainly to watch normal 2D programs and movies, and to 'reissue' most of my dvd collection through this set (I wonder if my dvd of "Lawrence of Arabia" will look any more impressive through this HMD?)
One question, and it might be of interest to those who already have this and for future models of these headsets, yet to be released -- I have the Smilebox version of "How The West Was Won" and will probably be the 'premiere attraction' if I ever get this thing -- I know the Cinerama joins were digitally erased from this version but I'm wondering, with this headset's two separate screens, with this make any new 'joins' and spoil the smilebox effect? (Looking forward to the upcoming bluray releases of "This Is Cinerama" and "Windjammer" to test this theory also)

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
Brian McP said:
I'm wondering, with this headset's two separate screens, with this make any new 'joins' and spoil the smilebox effect? (Looking forward to the upcoming bluray releases of "This Is Cinerama" and "Windjammer" to test this theory also)
Hi Brian,
2D movies will display the same identical image on both screens. The L & R eye will see each display and the brain will infuse them as one single 2D picture. i.e. No "new 'Joins' will be added " to spoil the smilebox effect.
Paul

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I tried one out at a Sony store last year. It was OK, but didn't seem quite ready for prime time. (Note that my eyes are not that great with 3D, so it might've worked better for others.)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks