What's new

Sony Grand Wega Problems, Need Advice! (1 Viewer)

JeffLab

Stunt Coordinator
Hello, all, I've been trolling these forums for quite some time, but this is my first post. I'm hoping some of you might have some helpful insight for me.

Nearly a month ago, I went ahead and took the plunge, and purchased a Sony Grand Wega. KF-50WE620 to be exact. I'm am now on my 3rd set in as many weeks.

My first set had the dreaded "green dust spot". A circular greenish semi-transparent spot approx. 1.5" in diameter. I promptly exchanged it for another set.

My second set, I received just last week, and apon turning it on, found 2 dead pixels, both near the center of the screen.

I am getting the 3rd set delivered tomorrow, but at this point, my confidence in this product is quite shaken. Am I merely having a streak of bad luck, or are these sets to be avoided?

I was also considering a Samsung DLP as an alternative, however, I am one of the cursed who can see "rainbows". I was hoping some people could lend me advice or some of their personal experiences with the Sony sets, or perhaps steer me towards a more reliable alternative, if any.

Thanks in advance for any input, your opinions are greatly appreciated.

Jeff

JohnRyan

Stunt Coordinator
Jeff,
From what I've seen here in the States the past few weeks, the new Sony KDF-50WE655 is about the same price as the KDF-50WE610, in some cases even cheaper. From what I've read and heard, besides the HDTV tuner being included, everything has been improved upon since the 610. I've looked at this TV at five different stores and absolutely love the picture. Between LCDs and DLPs, it's the best picture out there! I will be purchasing this TV in the next few weeks. If at all possible, I would look to see if the KDF-50WE655 is available where you are. I'm not sure what the difference is between the 655 and 620.

I'll be ordering my TV online through an authorized dealer. I've read very positive reviews from online buyers.

Good luck to you!

Doug Miller

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Doug Miller
Jeff --

I had a similar problem with my 42WE610, had the optical block replaced, then had the picture just not "look right". I traded it in for the 42WE655 (this years) and thought I saw an initial green tinge at the top, but now it's gone.

I bought a DLP originally and returned it because I could see rainbows. Take it from a guy that could see them and had a DLP -- I never got over it, it bugged the crap out of me and after 2 weeks I gave up and returned it. I love my LCD. HD looks terrific and SD looks better than it did on the DLP.

I bought mine at Sears with the service contract. The way I figure, if I see green tinges or spots, or anything, I'm having service out. If they can't fix it, they'll replace it. Worst that happens is I see green again and somewhere down the road they replace it with a newer model. Best that happens is I don't have any problems with it again. Either way, I win.

If you see rainbows, stick with the LCD, you won't be able to get over it. I see rainbows on all the new models too, instantaneously. My father-in-law has the 50" Sammy from LY, I watch TV there and sit quietly, keeping my rainbow clouded mind to myself. You won't get over it. Swap it for the new Sony, you'll be happier.

Doug

Andy Kim

Second Unit
Sorry to hear about your badluck. I have the same set and haven't had any problems with it.
I did notice I now have a dead pixel near the center of my screen but I don't consider it a problem since I can't even see it from where I sit. How close are you sitting?
I know a lot of people put huge emphasis on the whole dead pixel issue...I did too before I got the set. But the fact that I can't even tell if I have dead pixels or not unless I've got my face right up to the TV has now made this a non-issue for me.

I truly love this set. I watched Hannibal tonight and there are a lot of close ups of Julianne Moore's face which just comes out crystal clear.

MikeEckman

Screenwriter
I did a search and didn't really find an explanation for what causes the "rainbow" effect on DLPs? Does anyone have any theories, and also why do some people see it and some don't?

John S

Senior HTF Member
Well not just rainbows on DLP, but you just would be amazed at the differences bewteen the way peoples eyes work on various things...

I'm an astronomer, and one such thing in particular with visual observing through various telescopes, is edge distortion (various optical issues at the very edge of the observable field of view). Some eyes can sort of adjust this out, some eyes can't at all. Many other optical issues too. CA (false color) happens when not all the frequencies of light come to focus at the same exact point. Some people are very suceptable to see'n it, others hardly see it at all.

Doug Miller

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Doug Miller
Mike --

From the way I understand it, when you see rainbows, it means that your eyes are keeping up closer to the speed of the color wheel.

Also, I could be wrong, but I haven't talked to a single person that wears glasses and can see rainbows. According to the doctor, I have better than perfect vision (shrug), and am just lucky I guess. Besides seeing rainbows, my eyes got fatigued really quickly watching the set -- which again I think is related to the ways my eyes keep up with the movement.

Doug

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks