What's new

Sony Grand Wega LCDs & SD Broadcasts (1 Viewer)

Zach

Agent
Hello All,

I recently purchase the Sony Grand Wega KF60WE610 LCD. I know there has been lots of discussion about their bulbs and dead pixels, etc. Luckily, I have not been the victim of this!

However, after moving my DirecTiVo over from my 32" Wega XBR CRT to the new LCD, standard television is almost unwatchable. :frowning: Is this normal? Has anyone else experienced very bad resolution when watching standard definition broadcast television?

For example, the text at the bottom of commercial is so out of focus that it's barely legible. While DVDs and XBOX appear to be performing as expected (perhaps DVDs are a bit 'washed out'), watching non-HD television is a disappointment.

Is it my set? Is it this line of sets? Just wondering if I should request an exchange or a return (and start looking at other sets).

Thanks for any and all input!

Zach :)

Eric_Connelly

Second Unit
I would not call it unwatchable but its close.

Its a fact of life with LCD's and DLP's, from what I heard Sony is the best out there for regular analog in this type of TV.

I noticed a huge improvement watching OTA through my HD box because I assume it upscales the video before sending it to the TV, but the analog picture off of the satellite/TIVO was so bad I moved the box to another TV.

However for HD/DVD this TV is incredible, and as I said, its far far better when I watch regular analog routed through my HD reciever.

MikeLH

Auditioning
I have a 50WE610 using DISH network as my source plus DVD's and the picture on DISH is absolutely outstanding. In fact at this point I'm almost hesitant to spend the additional money to upgrade to the DISH HD receiver. I have read on this forum that some people think the picture is incredible with SD sources and other people think it is awful and I'm very perplexed to understand how there can be such a wide divergence of opinion. I have had several people watch this set and all have agreed that it is the best picture that they have seen. Perhaps, it is individual sets that have some problem, but it certainly is not normal for these LCD sets to have poor pictures. I would go back to where you bought it and look at their set with SD material and see if there is some difference. I believe it was Home Theater magazine that had a recent big screen "shoot off" and ranked this set #1 on day one and #2 on the second day with many of the "judges" ranking it #1. Hope this gives you a new perspective. Mike

Eric_Connelly

Second Unit
Analog signals do not map well to digital sets.

Even the XBR Tube sets show a bit of the pixelation and 'bad' picture you get with a DLP or LCD. It just seems more pronounced with larger fixed pixel sets.

Dish network has better video quality than DTV, my DTV was bad, real bad. My Samsung HD tuner was bad too on non-HD content until I turned it upto 1080i then it got quite a bit better.

Some channels look better than others but basically I've written off watching anything decent on non-HD, if its not the news or something I watch in passing I go back to the tube TV.

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

Uh ... you are blowing a 32" image up to 60 inches ...

The fact that the image does not look good really has little to do with the fact that the TV is LCD ...

Be it DLP or CRT/rp ... it will look crappy. No way around that. The image was never meant to be enlarged like that.

And yet we don't complain when we enlarge a photo from 4x6 to 40x60 ...

There is a finite amount of information in the image ... and enlarging it does not magically create new information.

Regards

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks