What's new

Sony goes DVI/HDCP this fall. (1 Viewer)

David Glenn

Second Unit
Looks like DVI is one step closer to being the standard. Given, Columbia/Sony Entertainment, you knew they would back DVI HDCP.

Adam Nixon

Second Unit
If either of those 65-inch sets is an XBR, then they've come down in price -- last year's model listed at $5999! If top of the line is listed at $4700, it'll be a breeze to find discounts. Gotta love the march of progress.;)
UPDATE: Press release is titled "Hi-Scan 1080I Line up." Oh well, I bet they'll still look great.

WillyK

Auditioning
Just a few questions for anyone out there that might have some answers. I am in the process of purchasing my first HD set and was very seriously considering the Sony KDP65XBR2. Now this set has a ieee1394 input connection I believe. How hard would it be to have a converter that would convert the DVI standard that Sony just announced in their new line to the 1394 input. Or should I just wait for another 6 months?

If you have read my posts in the HT Basics area you know that I am just several weeks away from this HT being done and am not sure how well waiting will go over with my wife.

Thks

Mark McGill

Stunt Coordinator
New to the board so here is my first two cents worth. I've been flipping between a 65XBR2 and the Mits 65909. I went with the Mits sight unseen. I really liked the sony, however I didn't feel that the upgradeability was there. I don't think the sony has the firewire, only sony's i-link if I remember right. The point of my decision is mute until I get delivery, hopefully this weekend. I also picked up the Denon 2800 dvd and a monster power source.

WillyK

Auditioning
Mark,

A couple of things I also was considering the Mits 65909, but haven't even seen a price yet. Who did you go thru?

Also I think Sony's iLink is ieee1394, they are just using a different name.

Ryan Spaight

Supporting Actor
I wonder if there will be any solution offered for those of us with component-only Sony HD sets (or other brands, for that matter) that have just been obsoleted by this late addition to the requirements for viewing HDTV...

Ryan

Mark McGill

Stunt Coordinator
WillyK: I went through Good-Guys. Up here in WA they had a no sales tax deal and free two year financing. I figured why use my own money. I did pay full price but I liked going local for something that large.

David Schamis

Stunt Coordinator
I think that this might be doomsday for Firewire, and doomsday for a HD-VHS solution any time soon!

David

Users who are viewing this thread