What's new

Sony Bravia LCD HDTV has black "splotch" on screen (1 Viewer)

kmuldrow

Auditioning
Real Name
Kyle Muldrow
Hi, everyone! I'm a newbie so be patient, OK? :)
I bought a Sony Bravia 46" 1080p LCD HDTV in October of 2009 from Costco (model#: KDL46VL160). Today when I turned it on, I noticed a black "splotch" on the screen that starts in the middle and blacks out and/or distorts the image all the way to the right side of the screen. A good friend of mine says he's afraid the LCD Panel is going bad. I've called Costco and Sony and they say I have to call a repair shop and since the warranty has expired, they will not cover any costs.
Can anyone here explain what happens when an LCD panel goes bad and what else I should do...besides never buy another TV from Costco and not buy a Sony again? :)

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
I know you're pissed, but this can happen to any LCD TV. And why would you blame Costco? I think your friend is right. Can you post a pic? With the cost of new LCD TV's now, it's not worth repairing it.

kmuldrow

Auditioning
Real Name
Kyle Muldrow
Hi, Jim!
Well, what's helped my mood is the repair shop. When I called them, they asked if I used an American Express card to buy the TV. I said yes and was told that AMEX extends the warranty to a 3rd year, which means they will pay for all repairs or refund the cost of my TV. So I feel much better now.
I was wondering if that could happen to any LCD TV. I was wondering should my next one be an LED? I don't really want a Plasma set since I'm not a gamer. Also, I'm thinking of going with either a Toshiba or a Samsung as my next brand. Any suggestions?

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Actually, Kyle, I was going to recommend a Panasonic plasma. Samsung is a good choice, too.

kmuldrow

Auditioning
Real Name
Kyle Muldrow
Hi, Todd!
So why a Panasonic Plasma? I guess the reason I've been hesitant to get a plasma is because I've heard they can leave an impression in the screen that won't go away. Ever hear of that? Thing is, I've always liked Panasonic, but I've been very hesitant to buy a plasma? Can you tell me why that's your recommendation?

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Burn-in on plasma, while still possible, is not as big a problem as it used to be. The manufacturers have put in a lot of effort into technology that will help to prevent it, and, for the most part, they have succeeded. The reason I recommend plasma is because it is great for movies and sports (which I know you watch a lot of), providing nice smooth motion without creating a "soap opera" effect. And, Panasonic makes some of the best plasma displays available at a consumer level.

You may end up with a larger screen size than your current Sony, since most retailers seem to stock only 50" or larger size displays. Just make sure it is 1080p (believe it or not, there are still a LOT of 720p plasma displays being sold).

brd529

Auditioning
Real Name
geddes
Hi there -

This exact thing started happening to my KDL-46VL160 a week ago. I also bought in 2009, around when you did. Unfortunately 4 years out now so amex won't help.

Found this link to suggest it is a known problem with sony bravia's but Sony is choosing not to fix them except for the very high-end ones:
http://www.justanswer.com/tv-repair/6iq6f-sony-bravia-tv-really-dark-half-screen.html

Too bad. The reason I went with sony was their reputation for quality. Silly me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks