What's new

Sony BRAVIA-auto dimmer? (1 Viewer)

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
This is very annoying. I have an XBR5 52" Sony Bravia and the backlight has an auto dimming feature. The problem is that when you are watching movies like Star Wars, the light constantly dims and brightens depending on the information on the screen. End credits are horrible. The picture goes from a completely black background to light grey. I've searched online but the only way that I have found to disable this feature is to turn the gaming function on, but at the expense of motion flow; also the picture doesn't seem to have the same amount of resolution in this mode. HELP!!

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
Thats not the back light. Its an auto black level. I notice it as well on the beginning credits to Blade Runner, all black with white text. Its a PITA for an otherwise great TV. No way i know to stop it. I found a thread at AVS for setting up this TV, but i didnt see any way to stop the black level from changing.
Official Sony XBR4/XBR5 calibration thread - AVS Forum

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
Thanks, I figured out a way that personally suits me. I put the power saving on low and fiddled with some of the settings. Blacks are wonderful now, brightness is perfect and not blinding, and best of all...no auto dimming!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks