What's new

Sony Bdp-S300: Dolby TrueHD with latest firmware (1 Viewer)

Chris Gerhard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris Gerhard

The BDP-S300 will decode Dolby TrueHD and output analog audio up to 5.1 channels over the analog output. Dolby TrueHD is a compressed lossless digital audio codec so technically there is no way to send Dolby TrueHD over the analog output. Players with HDMI 1.3a can send the Dolby TrueHD signal to decoders with HDMI 1.3a input and decoding which of course the BDP-S300 can't do.

Chris

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Once the player decodes TrueHD, it WILL send it via the analog outputs as 5.1 channel lossless PCM, which the S300 can do thanks to a firmware update.

Shad R

Supporting Actor
thanks guys. I don't mean to drag this out but how can I actually TELL if it's playing the DolbyTruHD track? And also, do I have to set my player to any specific settings? I just checked and it is version 4.20, which adds Dolby TruHD, do I need to change the audio settings to Downmix PCM? All that shows up when I hit the audio button on either setting is Dolby Digital 3/2.1. There is no indication that I'm playing the DTru track. hrrrmmmm.

btlfan64

Auditioning
Real Name
Steve
Need some help...I have the S-300 player and a Yamaha HDR-6050 receiver. The receiver has two HDMI inputs one for the DVD player and the other for a sat receiver and one HDMI out to tv. I hooked up the HDMI cables. I get picture when switching to the DVD or sat inputs on the receiver but I don't get any sound. The speakers are good cause I got audio on the tuner and cd player. When I bypass the HDMI cables to the receiver and hook the S-300 to my tv and the receiver via the analog cables using the 5.1 speaker inputs everything sounds great...any clues why it doesn't work with the HDMI cables?

Users who are viewing this thread