What's new

Sony Archive MOD (2 Viewers)

Justin Ray

Second Unit
Real Name
Justin Ray
I had a chance to rewatch It Had to Be You (1947) on TCM last night. Ginger Rogers and Cornel Wilde made a dynamite screen pair. T'would be fantastic to see Sony release this little gem as one of their MOD titles.

Real Name
Phil
Hopefully someone can answer this question... THE AMSTERDAM KILL with Robert Mitchum is a Golden Harvest Production, released on VHS by RCA/Columbia. It still is not out on DVD in the US. Is it currently owned by Golden Harvest or Sony?

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
I just received BABY BLUE MARINE and I'm very happy with it...I think it looks and sounds about as good as we could ever hope for...in a perfect world, I think it deserves HD, but I'm very glad to have this MOD DVD...colours look accurate, resolution is good...

A very effective and sentimental film...but I'm a sucker for WW2 nostalgia...Rockwell Americana and all that...

I just wish that RED SKY AT MORNING would get an HD release...and that Warner Archive would issue SUMMER OF '42 on blu...

Jobla

Supporting Actor
I love RED SKY AT MORNING, but I think it resides at Universal. It never even received a VHS release, and it never shows on the various movie cable channels. Either Universal hates it, or there is some sort of rights problem (literary? music?).

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
Justin Ray said:
I had a chance to rewatch It Had to Be You (1947) on TCM last night. Ginger Rogers and Cornel Wilde made a dynamite screen pair. T'would be fantastic to see Sony release this little gem as one of their MOD titles.
This great film has been released as a pressed disc in the UK. I agree, it's very charming.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
Has anyone put together a list of what films of these series have come out and which ones have not yet?
  • Jungle Jim
  • Boston Blackie
  • The Lone Wolf
  • Crime Doctor
  • I Love A Mystery

revgen

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dan
Boston Blackie

One Mysterious Night (1944)

A Close Call For Boston Blackie (1946)

Boston Blackie's Chinese Venture (1949)

Crime Doctor

None

Jungle Jim

Mark of the Gorilla (1950)

Jungle Moon Men (1955)

Pygmy Island (1950)

Fury of the Congo (1950)

Jungle Manhunt (1951)

Jungle Man-Eaters (1954)

Lone Wolf

The Lone Wolf Meets a Lady (1940)

Counter-Espionage (1942)

Passport to Suez (1943)

I Love a Mystery

None

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
revgen said:
Boston Blackie

One Mysterious Night (1944)

A Close Call For Boston Blackie (1946)

Boston Blackie's Chinese Venture (1949)

Crime Doctor

None

Jungle Jim

Mark of the Gorilla (1950)

Jungle Moon Men (1955)

Pygmy Island (1950)

Fury of the Congo (1950)

Jungle Manhunt (1951)

Jungle Man-Eaters (1954)

Lone Wolf

The Lone Wolf Meets a Lady (1940)

Counter-Espionage (1942)

Passport to Suez (1943)

I Love a Mystery

None

Thank you. :)

borisfw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
I'm still hoping Sony will go back and revisit some of these series . Even better maybe Mill Creek could put out complete collections . They would be cheaper . I can hope .

Eastmancolor

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim Harwood
Just picked up the new disc of THE BURGLARS, which is a fun heist picture from the early 1970's. The disc includes the U.S. release version as well as the international version.

Nice picture quality in anamorphic 2.35 widescreen. Unfortunately though the international version, which has a French soundtrack, only has subtitles for the hearing impaired. No standard English subtitling is offered. So during the famous car chase, you're getting subtitles reading "tires screeching," "crowd chearing" etc. BIG mistake!

But the English version looks very nice and I'm glad to at least have that. I can now retire that faded pan and scan 16mm print!

I sure wish Twilight Time, or Sony, would do a Blu-ray though!

GregoryMesh

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gregory Mesh
More Cantinflas this week -

51ZPSoVJpUL._SY300_.jpg
51RXVxpKn+L._SY300_.jpg
51X1ufle0bL._SY300_.jpg

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Let's throw the "Whistler" series in there as well. Terrific little gems. Sony missed the boat IMO by not releasing these several years back when TCM ran these during a period of renewed popularity of these series. The MOD were too expensive to be successful.

Camps

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tom
"Night of Terror" ('33)

"Fog" ('33)

"The Menace" ('32)

"The Ninth Guest" ('34)

"A Dangerous Affair" ('31)

"Hidden Power" ('39)

Existence of decent -- and available -- prints of all save for "Night of Terror" is a question mark. We know a nice "Night" print exists since it's been shown on GetTV; a print of "Affair" is said to be held by UCLA.

Bert Greene

Screenwriter
I always wondered why the Sony archive line hasn't released what would be a seemingly popular title like "Night of Terror" (1933). Ditto "Behind the Mask" (1932). Altogether, I've been rather disappointed in Sony this past year. I got some Whistler's and a Buck Jones or two, but not much beyond that. Still been pining for the remaining Jungle Jim and Boston Blackie titles, especially. Quite a few things the archive series haven't even tapped. Have they even released a single Jinx Falkenburg title yet? Or one of Jean Porter's? I'd also wish they could follow up with some more two-reeler material, with Andy Clyde probably my preference. Dare I even mention serials?

A couple of oldies I've always wanted to see are "State Trooper" (1933) with Regis Toomey, and "The Lineup" (1934) with Marion Nixon. Plus, there were a few b-grade adventure films that Jon Hall made, like "The Mutineers" (1949) and "On the Isle of Somoa" (1950), which always sounded like fun, matinee-ish fare. Oh, well. I sure hope Sony perks up a bit next year.

MLamarre

Second Unit
Real Name
Matthew Lamarre
My (top 25) wishlist:

1. Man's Castle (1933)
  2. None Shall Escape (1944)
  3. Gallant Journey (1946)
  4. Shadowed (1946)
  5. The Dark Past (1948)
  6. The Reckless Moment (1949)
  7. The Brave Bulls (1951)
  8. The Whistle at Eaton Falls (1951)
  9. This Angry Age (1958)
  10. The Two-Headed Spy (1958)
  11. The Mountain Road (1960)
  12. A Kind of Loving (1962)
  13. The L-Shaped Room (1962)
  14. The Victors (1963)
  15. Sandra a.k.a. Vaghe stelle dell’orsa… (1965)
  16. Kiss the Girls and Make Them Die (1967)
  17. The Go-Between (1970)
  18. You Can’t Win ‘Em All (1970)
  19. Fools' Parade (1971)
  20. Such a Gorgeous Kid Like Me a.k.a. Une belle fille comme moi (1973)
  21. The Dion Brothers a.k.a. The Gravy Train (1974)
  22. Lies My Father Told Me (1975)
  23. The Night Caller a.k.a. Fear Over the City a.k.a. Peur sur la ville (1975)
  24. City of Hope (1991)
  25. Masterminds (1997)

Bert Greene

Screenwriter
I should have figured "Behind the Mask" was on that Karloff set, but I didn't know it. I guess I'm going to have to get that set after all. I've had a nice, original lobby card to that film (sans Karloff, however) for decades. Whatever the case, I'd certainly welcome more Jack Holt items in the archive line. He really was kept busy at Columbia for that entire decade.

RBailey

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Hall
Let me add THE GOOD HUMOR MAN with Jack Carson, written by Frank Tashlin and another in his string of live-action cartoons like the 2 "Fuller Brush" films with Red Skelton and Lucille Ball.

Plus, more Columbia 2-reelers and serials.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks