1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Sony Archive MOD

Discussion in 'DVD' started by John Morgan, Sep 9, 2010.

1. JoHud

JoHud Well-Known Member

Joe Hudak
    Normally I'd be disappointed at the amount of doube-dipping here, but that is one great price.

2. Eastmancolor

Eastmancolor Well-Known Member

Jim Harwood
    Recently ordered a handful of Sony titles and am having problems with two of them, APPOINTMENT IN BERLIN and DUEL ON THE MISSISSIPPI. Both have a soft, "out of focus" quality to them and the image strobes whenever there are camera pans or movement across the screen. Very distracting. It appears the discs were not mastered correctly. I've since received replacement copies and they are bad too. Anyone else have any issues with these titles, or others in the library? These are the first bad Sony discs I've received, apart from WHITE LINE FEVER being 4x3 letterbox, which isn't a "defect" per se.

3. borisfw

borisfw Well-Known Member

Frank
    I have Appointment in Berlin and my copy looks fine.

4. jdee28

jdee28 Well-Known Member

It might be the display you're watching them on or the machine you're using to run the discs.

5. Eastmancolor

Eastmancolor Well-Known Member

Jim Harwood
    Nope, the flaw occurs on multiple machines in different locations. And again, it's only these 2 discs. The other 3 discs in the same order (which are also Sony MOD) were fine. Also, every other Sony disc I've bought, which is around 50, are fine as well.

6. JoHud

JoHud Well-Known Member

Joe Hudak
    Three for April announced by Classicflix.com Branded (1931) - Buck Jones Harem Girl (1952) - Joan Davis, Peggie Castle The Key (1958) - William Holden, Sophia Loren, Trevor Howard, Oskar Homolka, Kieron Moore Also, I recently ran into two OAR issues in a couple of Sony MODs The Fuller Brush Girl is noticeably squished/stretched horizontally along with being windowboxed. I can tweak it to the correct aspect ratio fine, but it is annoying 5 Golden Hours is nonanamorphic widescreen. The picture quality is very good even zoomed to the correct ratio, but another annoyance.

7. GregoryMesh

GregoryMesh Well-Known Member

Here is the complete list of April titles: 20 30 40 (2004) The Big C - The Complete Third Season (2012) Branded (1931) ** public domain print is available from VCI. This is likely a better transfer Harem Girl (1952) If You Could Only Cook (1935) ** Available in Icons of Screwball Comedy, Vol. 1 The Key (1958) The Killer That Stalked New York (1950) **Available in Bad Girls of Film Noir, Vol. 1 A Night to Remember (1943) **Available in Icons of Screwball Comedy, Vol. 2 Theodora Goes Wild (1936) **Available in Icons of Screwball Comedy, Vol. 2 Too Many Husbands (1940) ** Available in Icons of Screwball Comedy, Vol. 1 ** previously released on DVD

8. ahollis

ahollis Well-Known Member

Allen
    I sure would like to see some more Jungle Jim titles and perhaps the five peppers series.

9. borisfw

Frank
    The Key with Holden is all I see that interests me . I have the screwball comedy sets . So there goes the whole wave , pretty much .

10. Jobla

Jobla Well-Known Member

There are a couple of good titles in that batch.

11. borisfw

Frank
    There are some good titles . But most of them have been out on DVD already . I wish they would get moving on some titles that haven't seen a DVD release yet .

12. rdf8585

rdf8585 Well-Known Member

Ryan
    Late to the party, but not posted here.

http://www.classicflix.com/columbia-rita-hayworth-latest-wave-four-a-1424.html

Sony has announced four Columbia Classic DVDs for release on May 7th.

A couple of crime dramas, including a quota quickie starring Rita Hayworth, are coming:

[*]Special Inspector (1939) - Rita Hayworth, Charles Quigley, George McKay, Edgar Edwards
    [*]Alias Mr. Twilight (1946) - Michael Duane, Trudy Marshall, Lloyd Corrigan
    [/list]
    along with a couple of Westerns:

[*]Adventures in Silverado (1948) - William Bishop, Gloria Henry, Edgar Buchanan, Forrest Tucker, Edgar Barrier
    [*]The Thrill Hunter (1946) - Buck Jones, Dorothy Revier, Edward LeSaint, Eddie Kane, Arthur Rankin
    [/list]

JoHud likes this.
  13. JoHud

JoHud Well-Known Member

Joe Hudak
    Sony sure loves their Western MOD releases. Buck Jones in particular has virtually become a regular staple.

14. Wade Sowers

Wade Sowers Well-Known Member

Wade Sowers
    Thanks for keeping us informed - see a John Sturges (ALIAS MR. TWILIGHT) and a Phil Karlson (ADVENTURES IN SILVERADO) which I will get.

15. rdf8585

rdf8585 Well-Known Member

Ryan
    Too bad they haven't released HOLLYWOOD ROUND-UP or HEADIN EAST, both Buck Jones titles with Shemp Howard in the cast.

More two-reelers getting out would be great as well.

16. Doug Bull

Doug Bull Advanced Member

Doug Bull
    I would love to see "YOU CAN'T RUN AWAY FROM IT" released either as a mod or a pressed disc.

It's time that this enjoyable 50's Musical remake of the Academy Award winning "It Happened One Night" saw the light of day.

jlemmon.jpg

Doug.

17. MattPriceTime

MattPriceTime Well-Known Member

Matthew Price
    Nice to see Sony is still doing some releases, given everything in their financial mess.

18. Michael Allred

Michael Allred Well-Known Member

Michael
    I see "Switching Channels" (Burt Reynolds, Christopher Reeve) is now on DVD through Sony's MOD but Son'y site gives no tech info and amazon lists the aspect ration as 1.33(!) Has anyone bought this and can confirm whether this is indeed full screen (hope not) or widescreen?

19. borisfw

Frank
    Switching Channels is Widescreen . Looks pretty good to me .

20. Michael Allred

Michael Allred Well-Known Member

Michael
    So I assume you bought it then?