What's new

Sony Archive MOD (1 Viewer)

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Normally I'd be disappointed at the amount of doube-dipping here, but that is one great price.

Eastmancolor

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim Harwood
Recently ordered a handful of Sony titles and am having problems with two of them, APPOINTMENT IN BERLIN and DUEL ON THE MISSISSIPPI. Both have a soft, "out of focus" quality to them and the image strobes whenever there are camera pans or movement across the screen. Very distracting. It appears the discs were not mastered correctly. I've since received replacement copies and they are bad too. Anyone else have any issues with these titles, or others in the library? These are the first bad Sony discs I've received, apart from WHITE LINE FEVER being 4x3 letterbox, which isn't a "defect" per se.

jdee28

Screenwriter
Real Name
John
Eastmancolor said:
Recently ordered a handful of Sony titles and am having problems with two of them, APPOINTMENT IN BERLIN and DUEL ON THE MISSISSIPPI. Both have a soft, "out of focus" quality to them and the image strobes whenever there are camera pans or movement across the screen. Very distracting. It appears the discs were not mastered correctly. I've since received replacement copies and they are bad too. Anyone else have any issues with these titles, or others in the library? These are the first bad Sony discs I've received, apart from WHITE LINE FEVER being 4x3 letterbox, which isn't a "defect" per se.
It might be the display you're watching them on or the machine you're using to run the discs.

Eastmancolor

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim Harwood
jdee28 said:
It might be the display you're watching them on or the machine you're using to run the discs.
Nope, the flaw occurs on multiple machines in different locations. And again, it's only these 2 discs. The other 3 discs in the same order (which are also Sony MOD) were fine. Also, every other Sony disc I've bought, which is around 50, are fine as well.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Three for April announced by Classicflix.com Branded (1931) - Buck Jones Harem Girl (1952) - Joan Davis, Peggie Castle The Key (1958) - William Holden, Sophia Loren, Trevor Howard, Oskar Homolka, Kieron Moore Also, I recently ran into two OAR issues in a couple of Sony MODs The Fuller Brush Girl is noticeably squished/stretched horizontally along with being windowboxed. I can tweak it to the correct aspect ratio fine, but it is annoying 5 Golden Hours is nonanamorphic widescreen. The picture quality is very good even zoomed to the correct ratio, but another annoyance.

GregoryMesh

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gregory Mesh
Here is the complete list of April titles: 20 30 40 (2004) The Big C - The Complete Third Season (2012) Branded (1931) ** public domain print is available from VCI. This is likely a better transfer Harem Girl (1952) If You Could Only Cook (1935) ** Available in Icons of Screwball Comedy, Vol. 1 The Key (1958) The Killer That Stalked New York (1950) **Available in Bad Girls of Film Noir, Vol. 1 A Night to Remember (1943) **Available in Icons of Screwball Comedy, Vol. 2 Theodora Goes Wild (1936) **Available in Icons of Screwball Comedy, Vol. 2 Too Many Husbands (1940) ** Available in Icons of Screwball Comedy, Vol. 1 ** previously released on DVD

borisfw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
The Key with Holden is all I see that interests me . I have the screwball comedy sets . So there goes the whole wave , pretty much .

borisfw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
There are some good titles . But most of them have been out on DVD already . I wish they would get moving on some titles that haven't seen a DVD release yet .

rdf8585

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
rdf8585
Late to the party, but not posted here.

http://www.classicflix.com/columbia-rita-hayworth-latest-wave-four-a-1424.html

Sony has announced four Columbia Classic DVDs for release on May 7th.

A couple of crime dramas, including a quota quickie starring Rita Hayworth, are coming:

[*]Special Inspector (1939) - Rita Hayworth, Charles Quigley, George McKay, Edgar Edwards
[*]Alias Mr. Twilight (1946) - Michael Duane, Trudy Marshall, Lloyd Corrigan
[/list]
along with a couple of Westerns:

[*]Adventures in Silverado (1948) - William Bishop, Gloria Henry, Edgar Buchanan, Forrest Tucker, Edgar Barrier
[*]The Thrill Hunter (1946) - Buck Jones, Dorothy Revier, Edward LeSaint, Eddie Kane, Arthur Rankin
[/list]

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Sony sure loves their Western MOD releases. Buck Jones in particular has virtually become a regular staple.

Wade Sowers

Second Unit
Real Name
Wade Sowers
Thanks for keeping us informed - see a John Sturges (ALIAS MR. TWILIGHT) and a Phil Karlson (ADVENTURES IN SILVERADO) which I will get.

rdf8585

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
rdf8585
Too bad they haven't released HOLLYWOOD ROUND-UP or HEADIN EAST, both Buck Jones titles with Shemp Howard in the cast.

More two-reelers getting out would be great as well.

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
I would love to see "YOU CAN'T RUN AWAY FROM IT" released either as a mod or a pressed disc.

It's time that this enjoyable 50's Musical remake of the Academy Award winning "It Happened One Night" saw the light of day.

jlemmon.jpg

Doug.

Michael Allred

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
I see "Switching Channels" (Burt Reynolds, Christopher Reeve) is now on DVD through Sony's MOD but Son'y site gives no tech info and amazon lists the aspect ration as 1.33(!) Has anyone bought this and can confirm whether this is indeed full screen (hope not) or widescreen?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlohaTiger
Recent bookmarks