Sony Archive MOD (2 Viewers)

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
cadavra said:
I believe PEPE is an elements problem.
Mike S.
The 158 Minute version they ran on TCM didn't look bad, and was letterboxed as well.
Does the longer 195 minute cut even exist.

Jobla

Supporting Actor
Louis, as good as the Arrow UK release of OBSESSION is, they still blew it by NOT giving us Bernard Herrmann's great score on an isolated audio track. I am still hoping that either Twilight Time or Criterion might do that someday.
When Pioneer Special Editions released OBSESSION on laserdisc, they did isolate the music. There has never been a CD release of the complete score, which never ceases to bumfuzzzle me.

moviepas

Supporting Actor
Twilight Time has expressed interest to me re Pepe. Never heard of a rights or elements problem and did see it on TV here in the early hours some time in the 90s(where did all those years go). I was aware that there was supposed to be two songs(maybe) chopped before release or something. I did see the original moviehouse release and probably won tickets as I was good at in those days.

Some of the British films mentioned on this page have had UK releases on DVD. But one film reviewer has expressed his dismay to me that many Columbia releases over the decades have been pick-ups for distribution under contract and not a straight out negative rights purchase. Left in Sony's hands I would feel these pickups would have had a better survival rate in quality elements.

The 70s was an interesting era that many films were made that are, indeed, pretty obscure today and 99.9% of them I had never seen let alone heard of. Most of what I am referring to are British made films. In the recent years a friend had me come across town to his small apartment and got me to take away many of the magazines he bought back then.

A goodly number were an A4 approximate UK magazine that reviewed films with lots of pictures, many in color. So many of these films were here and only a handful suddenly turned up on UK DVD about 2 years ago. Many were about sex subjects with horror attached but they were made. Being independent, in many cases, makes them more difficult to find who has the elements. The UK British Film Institute(BFI) have archival material of some collections and have done Blu/DVD Combos but they have not scratched the surface on what was made in the era.

Louis Letizia

Supporting Actor
A CD of OBSESSION has been so far only a dream. i agree, Herrmans score for ITS ALIVE (great onto itself) has reached cd, but OBSESSION-a movie I find myself watching FOR THE SCORE- has eluded us.
I feel the same about another blockbuster composers work...Marvin Hamlisch-whose bittersweet score for THE PRISONER OF SECOND AVENUE was never released. As a person on the precipice of 50 living in Manhattan-that would be the score of my life.
Arrows release is the best we have now, but perhaps poor sales have made this relerase here non viable. OBSESSION was alway a movie that polarized people-but I think its brilliant

cadavra

Supporting Actor
Real Name
mike schlesinger
DeWilson said:
The 158 Minute version they ran on TCM didn't look bad, and was letterboxed as well.
Does the longer 195 minute cut even exist.
You just answered your own question.
Mike S.
(to clarify: it does, but not well)

PODER

Supporting Actor
Real Name
PETER JABLONSKI
Question: Is there a website for the Sony Archive DVDs? The one listed at the beginning of this section (Forum?) has been taken down. Many thanks
to anyone who can point me towards a complete list of their releases. Also, any suggestions of where to get the best prices? Many thanks!!

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
And here's the SONY MOD list at oldies.com: http://www.oldies.com/collection-view/Sony-Screen-Classics-by-Request.html
If you want a hard copy list, call Oldies.com at 1-800-336-4627 and ask to be put on their catalog mailing list. I received an Oldies catalog
yesterday and it was 96 big pages of MOD titles from all the studios. Try and ask for that catalog. It's a good reference even if you decide to buy elsewhere.
Importcds.com has the lowest prices, but I hesitate to recommend them for Mods, since I am still waiting for them to ship the last Sony Mod I ordered from them,it has been weeks. (I also ordered WAC's BOWERY BOYS from them and that has not shipped either. But importcds is very fast shipping regular/instock titles and I am very happy with their pricing.) If you want speed, stick with WBshop.com or even Oldies.com.
http://www.importcds.com/Search/Results?type=200&lbl=Sony+Made+on+Demand

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Bob Gu said:
Importcds.com has the lowest prices, but I hesitate to recommend them for Mods, since I am still waiting for them to ship the last Sony Mod I ordered from them,it has been weeks. (I also ordered WAC's BOWERY BOYS from them and that has not shipped either. But importcds is very fast shipping regular/instock titles and I am very happy with their pricing.)
When it comes to buying BRDs and DVDs, I'm a complete whore. I go with whoever has the right price. At present that is Import CDs. I've not experienced any delays on MOD discs. I'm very pleased with their service . . . and their prices.

Roger Cee

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Roger Cotillion
Robin9 said:
When it comes to buying BRDs and DVDs, I'm a complete whore. I go with whoever has the right price. At present that is Import CDs. I've not experienced any delays on MOD discs. I'm very pleased with their service . . . and their prices.
Their service is great, but if you live on the east coast, it takes forever!

PODER

Supporting Actor
Real Name
PETER JABLONSKI
Thank you all for the requested information! And a very happy holiday season to each of you ...

GregoryMesh

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gregory Mesh
Here is February 5 releases.
Ambush at Tomahawk Gap (1953)
Apache Ambush (1955)
The Bamboo Prison (1954)
Blue Moon (1999)
The Brigand (1952)
Five Golden Hours (1961)
Ghost of the China Sea (1958)
Harvard Park (2012)
A Matter of Wife... and Death (1976)
Remodeled - The Complete First Season
The Spanish Prisoner (1997) **
Target Hong Kong (1953)
There's Always a Woman (1938)
** previously released on DVD

benbrigade

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
john knight
This series is a real gold mine for B Movie fanatics like myself.
I will be getting six of the above that include:
AMBUSH AT TOMAHAWK GAP
APACHE AMBUSH
THE BAMBOO PRISON
THE BRIGAND
GHOST OF THE CHINA SEA
TARGET HONG KONG
As a Phil Karlson nut I am really pleased about THE BRIGAND
The quality of these Sony MODs is second to none;each title remastered.
I DO wish they would include trailers on their DVDs however.

Camps

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tom
Definitely Target Hong Kong for me!
Bamboo Prison has aired on TCM and I highly recommend it to any Cold War movie fans who haven't seen it.
Thanks for the good news, Gregory!

Wade Sowers

Second Unit
Real Name
Wade Sowers
Now that there are no longer Edward L. Cahn films coming out every month, it is nice to see we will get four films by Fred F. Sears in this batch, another guy who seems to have turned these out on a monthly basis, and usually delivered quite sturdy Bs. Don't judge his body of work by just a viewing of THE GIANT CLAW (1957), try something like CELL 2455, DEATH ROW (1955) or ESCAPE FROM SAN QUENTIN (1957). I also enjoyed WYOMING RENEGADES (1954) with Gene Evans as a very bad Butch Cassidy which has quite an ending, so I am happy to find a few of his westerns in these new releases.

Justin Ray

Second Unit
Real Name
Justin Ray
I hope that Sony Archive will soon release It Had to Be You with Ginger Rogers and Cornel Wilde. Such a charming, forgotten comedy and a perfect fit for Sony's MOD program.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
It Had To Be You is available in a nice transfer from Great Britain for those with region free players. I must admit I was quite underwhelmed when I saw it.

stevenHa

Second Unit
Would anyone know if Sony has plans to release the 1951 Lorna Doone on dvd ? Also, I notice a company called Loving the Classics has it out on dvd - would anyone know the quality of this product ?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks